Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Your favourite Infinity Engine game

Go down 
+2
Kana
Carabas
6 posters

What is your favourite IE game?
Baldur's Gate
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_vote_lcap17%Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
Planescape: Torment
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_vote_lcap50%Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
Icewind Dale
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_vote_lcap0%Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Baldur's Gate II
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_vote_lcap33%Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
Icewind Dale II
Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_vote_lcap0%Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Your favourite Infinity Engine game Empty
PostSubject: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 4:07 pm

For the sake of this poll we consider the game with its official expansions (i.e. Baldur's Gate with Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate II with Throne of Bhaal and Icewind Dale with Heart of Winter /Trials of the Luremaster).

The games are listed in the poll chronologically from Baldur's Gate (1998) to Icewind Dale II (2002).

Only four years and five breathtaking games. Those were the days.

Please take the time to tell us about the reasons behind your choice. Your favourite Infinity Engine game 88613
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Planescape: Torment is my favorite of the IE games. It is the least focused on combat and most focused on story. It's a very wordy game, which makes it almost like an interactive fantasy novel. And a good novel, even. It's really a work of art.

Baldur's Gate II would probably be my second favorite. It is far more focused on combat, but the story is good. I've probably played through this game more than PS:T. It's fun trying different classes and party combinations.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 10:38 pm

Baldur's Gate II ToB is my favorite. I love the dialogue and the different ways you can play it. Planescape/Torment would be my second and a ver close runner up. It is so intricate and weird. Quite different from most other games. The ending is unique also. What is your name? Who are you?

Kara your should do a review of Planescape/Torment. I think one could play that game forever and never do all that can be done.
Back to top Go down
Paul71
Visitor
Paul71

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Planescape Torment for me

Genuinely original game in a sea of copycat RPGs
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 1:07 pm

Baldur's Gate for me (the first not the second, I like low level adventures I've always felt that in BG2 the focus was more on getting the right items than playing a character/class) with Icewind Dale 2 not too far behind (mainly for the system and its flexibility although at times it's just too much hack and slash although the fights are part of the fun).

Baldur's Gate has a great story something that can't be said of many CRPGs. It was more about the struggle with the EVIL within rather than the evil without and as such the focus was interesting. Think about the quote during the intro movie: "when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you." That alone sums up perfectly what the game is about... Besides BG1 is clearly the less linear of all the IE games.

In comparison IWD1 is too vanilla (although that is part of its charm) and too linear (very much so).

I'm not that fond of Planescape Torment. It may have to do with the fact that I was already familiar with the pen and paper setting and that I played this game much later but I didn't find it so enjoyable. I wasn't awed by the setting (as I knew what to expect from Sigil and the Planes) and I'm convinced that the game system didn't work that well for this game... Every time I launch the game I end up being annoyed by the fights and I can't wait for the necessary confrontations to be over with (in my experience fights in this game are utterly boring when the whole point is that they should be fun). Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like this game, it's just that apart from the incredible story and the amazing writing I find it really annoying. To me it's more of a flawed gem rather than the ultimate gaming experience everyone is raving about but I don't expect anyone to agree with me. It may succeed as an "interactive fantasy novel" but IMO it doesn't succeed that well as a game.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 3:45 pm

I think the reason Baldur's Gate/ToB is my favorite is because I played the greatest, most fun game ever with it. I played 'smart' evil and Savorok *is that right?) and that nasty wizard thought I was the greatet. I also had Jan along and they piced on him. He was always hiding behind me for fear of them. It was just so great. The dialogue was so great. I think I had a mod installed that differientiated between your public virtue and your true virtue. Your companions knew what you where up to but the mostly the public didn't. That was the game of a lifetime.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 4:39 pm

Playing an evil character who is a truly smart villain is a treat indeed. I find it rather satisfying in BG1 as well. In BG2 I find that Anomen is just perfect (Chaotic Neutral Anomen) for such a party. I like having neutral or good -but misguided- followers. My smart protagonist doesn't feel comfortable trusting his life with psychos and bloodthirsty killers (like Shar Teel, Edwin, Korgan or Xzar and Montaron). Especially when you can get honest and nice people to do your dirty work and actually believe your lies. It is funny. Your favourite Infinity Engine game 187909
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Edwin, I couldn't think of his name. Thanks. My SoA party was Yoshima, Edwin, Korgan, Jan and I think Vicky. Oh, I had the others to start of course. ToB I have forgotten who I had except for Saravok, Edwin, Jan and Korgan. U was a fighter/thief and didn't really need Jan but I am very fond of him. He is so cute.

I never played BG I as really evil.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Is that even a question? PLANESCAPE TORMENT FTW! This game is a MASTERPIECE, It has a good story, it's fun to play, and the Planar environment is a breath of fresh air from all those games that take place in the medieval times I.E BG 1&2. Now, I am NOT knocking BG, great games, but personally? Torment is just the best. ----
Quote :
Especially when you can get honest and nice people to do your dirty work and actually believe your lies. It is funny.
I agree!
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 3:03 am

Planescape/Torment is a unique game and would probably be my favorite except for the nostalgia factor. BG/SoA was my first real CRPg and I struggled through it on my own. Then I got BG I and TOB.

Betral at Kronder was my first game called Role playing but you really didn't have much choice as to how you role played. It was unique for its time and still has a strong cult following. BG II was the first game where I had a choice as to who, what and how I played the game.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 5:46 am

Nakia the Rogue wrote:
Edwin, I couldn't think of his name. Thanks. My SoA party was Yoshima, Edwin, Korgan, Jan and I think Vicky. Oh, I had the others to start of course. ToB I have forgotten who I had except for Saravok, Edwin, Jan and Korgan. U was a fighter/thief and didn't really need Jan but I am very fond of him. He is so cute.

I never played BG I as really evil.

You definitely should as there are definitely more possibilities for some good old evil fun. Wink

Jan Jansen can have a nasty streak that can get pretty sweet down the line (think Joe Pesci in a Scorsese movie). As for the others my Bhaalspawn would only trust Sarevok in ToB because of the oath thing (mighty effective). Edwin requires a main character who is very benevolent or has a very low self esteem. Korgan is as untrustworthy as they get.

In my opinion Viconia works much better with a Good protagonist. There is the redemption line and the fact that you have to save her to get her in your party. What incentive could an evil character have to save her? Burn baby burn! Your favourite Infinity Engine game 493928
Back to top Go down
loder
Visitor
loder

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 12:36 pm

Baldurs Gate 2 would have to be my favourite followed by the first game. I loved the story, and the relationships with the characters really added to the immersion.

I've never played Planescape, I heard it was a really good game and I hopefully will sit down to play it one day.
Back to top Go down
http://modsreloaded.com
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 9:12 pm

Planescape is - pardon my french -- the shit! I loved BG1/2 but PS:T blows both games away... Enough said.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 11:28 pm

Not much of an argument my French speaking friend. Torment is indeed an interesting CRPG but IMO it is not as entertaining as the other IE games. I've said it before and I'll say it again but to me it fails as a game (I'm not sure the game system really works that well for the Nameless One).

The writing is stellar but it's not a game that I really find entertaining -and I've really tried if you see what I mean. Then again I was familiar with the Planescape setting from pen and paper Advanced Dungeons & Dragons so the setting of Torment, the Planes, Sigil and the factions didn't blow me away.

Kana referred to Torment as an "interactive fantasy novel" and I think this comparison is rather apt.

That being said it's worth giving it a try if only to make your own opinion as it is certainly a rather original game and one that is worth a try (more than I can say about Temple of Elemental Evil for instance).
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 11:49 pm

Cara, perhaps the game system is flawed compared to other IE games, but the rich storyline give this game a lot of depth, I found myself playing through the game just to see the story unfold. The rich plotline gives the game a very satisfying feeling. Besides, the planar settings is a breath of fresh air compared to the beaten to death medieval setting.
I agree with interactive novel, and to me, that's what makes the game so satisfying. It might not play as good as BG or IWD, but on a writing point, it's a superb game.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 5:09 am

Temple of Elemental Evil stinks like a dead goat in the desert in Mexico under a 45 degrees temperature and infernal sun. I played for 2 minutes and tosses it right in the trash.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 12:10 pm

Good thing it's not an Infinty Engine game. It's definitely the most unplayable CRPG I've ever played.

When it comes to other 3rd person isometric CRPGs I do have a soft spot for Arcanum and Lionheart (CRPGs that were derived from the Fallout SPECIAL system).

I don't think the perfect game exists. Torment definitely had some of the best writing ever to grace a video game but I found the battles incredibly boring whereas in IWD2 battles are the meat of the game (and despite the limited RP and the inevitable hack and slash I like this game). Perhaps 3E would have been a better system to reflect the Nameless One's prowess and abilities (instead of switching classes and relying on party members).
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 11:50 pm

I enjoyed Arcanum and Planescape/torment was challenging and different. A most unusual game in my opinion. I never played Lionheart.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 12:58 am

Lionheart is a flawed game but one that I like nevertheless. The beginning is really good but after a while it becomes a rather basic hack and slash game. The universe was promising, it followed real history with a major difference, during the Crusades a rift between worlds was opened and as a result creatures were spawned upon the earth including some feral, demonic, sylvan and elemental variant of humans each with their own strengths and weaknesses. The game used the SPECIAL system from Fallout which meant that it was impossible to create a character that would succeed at everything but it played like Diablo. The quests and dialogues were rather good during the first part but the endgame felt rushed. I can only recommend it as a curiosity for fans of isometric CRPGs, playing the first half is a real treat but the ending is really weak and the game itself is very unforgiving (if you mess up your build you may not be able to complete the game).
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 6:47 pm

Let's be honest, Baldur's Gate I & II were hack and slash. They just had a good story to support it and we were still new to the genre.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 7:00 pm

Icewind Dale 1 and 2 are hack and slash. BG1 and 2 are about the inner struggle against evil (the Bhaal essence). Hack and slash can be fun when it serves a story and when you can develop some RPing elements (if you choose to). In a straightforward hack and slash fest (think Diablo) there isn't much RP involved.

I've been playing pen and paper RPGs for 25 years now, the only reason I don't play much anymore is because of real life as it becomes really difficult to gather a few friends for at least 6 hours when you're in your 30s and when some of your pals have significant others and kids. Although to be honest being single and not having any kids I tend to go out with friends who are younger and/or don't have kids (or clingy/needy girlfriends).

The great thing with computer games is that you can play at odd hours and you don't need several friends to start a game. But no matter what you can't beat pen and paper games when it comes to having fun.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 12:19 am

IWD2 isn't that bad of a game, it just feels like a stripped down BG2 with no interaction with other PCs with 3E rules instead of 2.5. I have played it through, and it's good nevertheless.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 12:37 am

I'm very fond of IWD2. As far as NPCs are concerned there is a very good NPC mod that I recommend using. It adds banter and party interaction and it is well written and definitely worth a try.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/iwd2npc/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite Infinity Engine game   Your favourite Infinity Engine game I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your favourite Infinity Engine game
Page 1 of 1