Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Divinity: Original Sin 2
by Carabas Yesterday at 3:41 pm

» Fallout 4 Mods
by Carabas Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 am

» Fallout: New California/Project Brazil
by Carabas Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:43 am

» XCOM 2 First Impressions
by Carabas Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm

» Crusaders Kings 2
by Carabas Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:34 pm

» Mods for Skyrim
by BlackZarak Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:27 am

» Age of Decadence
by Carabas Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:07 pm

» Far Cry 3
by Carabas Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:39 pm

» Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom
by Carabas Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm

» Rise of the Argonauts
by Carabas Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:37 pm

» The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians
by Carabas Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:53 am

» Carmageddon Max Damage
by Carabas Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:35 am

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 39 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:37 pm
Statistics
We have 41 registered users
The newest registered user is kaay

Our users have posted a total of 25352 messages in 641 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Order to quests?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Triactus
Emperor

PostSubject: Order to quests?   Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:18 pm

I just started to play Fallout 3 on the PS3. I have played a lot of CRPGs before (and Oblivion extensively). However, I always have been a mouse and keyboard kinda guy. I'm learning the ropes of a gamepad. In such, I suck at aiming (outside the VATS). I get my ass handed to me wherever I try to go (or waste an insane number of bullets).

Do you have any suggestions of easier quests to do to build my character a little (and getting better equipment) before trying out the harder ones?

I'm level 6 (my three main skills are medecine (50), repair (50) and small arms (41). In the main quest, I have to go to Galaxy news radio, but I have done the Megaton side quests as well as the village in trouble with the Family gang (I chose to negotiate a peaceful solution between the two groups).

Oh, and I tried going to Galaxy radio through the metro stations (I figured I would be less likely to get beaten to a pulp), got off in the Tenleytown station (or is is Friendship, not sure anymore), but I got attacked by raiders and mutant as soon as I stepped out of it... Sad

Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Order to quests?   Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:11 am

There is a learning curve. I play on the PC with the Xbox controller and until you're used to the gamepad it can be a bit tricky (especially aiming with sniper rifles). If you're having trouble aiming you can use VATS to target a foe and exit it right away without actually using it. That may make the real time firing less frustrating when you can't seem to manage to lock on a target. Later on you can also invest in big guns and take advantage of large bursts that make aiming less of a problem (especially in cramped locations -firing a minigun in a tunnel should be effective against mobs). Even if you haven't invested in melee you can use a blade to your advantage since the controls are probably easier with melee attacks (melee and grenades can be a powerful combination). There is nothing wrong with Guns since that's the most reliable and easy to maintain sort of weaponry, don't worry you'll get better after playing a bit more.

There is nothing wrong with your skills. I'm not a big fan of medecine (at least not over 40 but that's foreknowledge) but it's not useless. Speech can make the game much easier (as you've probably already noticed) and Lockpick/Science are skills that are incredibly useful if you want to be able to open and unlock everything (science may also allow you to control and reprogram turrets in game). 50 points in both is a good start.

Fallout 3 without mods isn't that hard once you get some decent gear and IMO the weapons you have are more important than your gun skill (except that aiming gets better with sniper rifles and you do more damage).

So you've done Arefu. I'd suggest exploring and killing wildlife. Looting raiders can get you some good stuff. Another thing that I found rather fun was tagging along a caravan and picking up stuff from their foes (it may help at lower levels and you get some backup if you're afraid of getting swamped by foes).

90% of the game is exploration. Have you started Moira's Wasteland Survival Guide questline? It's fun and the earlier parts can be easy to complete.

Remember that stealth boys can be a great help. Sometimes getting in and out can be much easier than going in guns blazing. Also if you plant explosives on a character you will blow him/her up. It was fun in the original Fallouts and it's still fun in Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

Since Fallout 3 relies on level scaling (not as much as Oblivion but still) you should be fine unless you venture into the more dangerous areas without the proper gear.

I'd suggest taking a trip to Tenpenny Towers (Mr Burke may have given you the direction) as it should be educational.

If you get cornered there is no shame in running away and drawing foes back towards friendly NPCs who will help you get the job done.

You may have run across Bigtown, the quests may be a bit tricky but they should be doable.

If you've talked to the caravan guys you must have heard about a place called Canterbury Commons and it's a settlement where you can get an interesting quest. Reaching it may seem tricky but you can outrun your foes or try a sneaky approach and snipe them from a distance.

Grayditch is a perfect place to harvest XP once you get the hang of the controls provided you have enough ammo and some good guns.

One last thing that you may not have found out yet, swimming can take you far. You can swim in the Potomac and reach the Southern limits of the DC Wasteland without getting killed by raiders on the banks (nobody can fight in water and if you swim fast enough you won't get into trouble). It's an old trick that many players use to get to Rivet City early on. You don't have to of course.

Galaxy News Radio is the next logical step in the main quest but you don't have to rush in.

Triactus
Emperor

PostSubject: Re: Order to quests?   Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:05 am

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, Arefu is done. I went into Big Town, but they were talking about a building full of mutants, so I thought I was better putting that off until later. encountered mutants in the wastelands and they were firing miniguns and rocket launchers at me. My 10 mm and assault rifle weren't that much of a help.

Yeah, good idea. I'll explore a bit for a while. I started the survival guide. The next step is the mine field. The only reason I hadn't done it yet is because I thought it was far away. Maybe I'll get on it.

Hum... I remember Canterbury from my map. I don't remember if I had been there or not. I'll check it out.

Yeah, I use stealth quite a lot. I don't benefit from the stealth bonus a lot because by the time I'm close enough for at least a 50% chance of hit with the VATS, they discovered I was there. There's a lot of skills to invest I think. They all seem important... I do have 25 in both science and lockpick. I think I have 30 or 40 something is speechcraft. I try to go with my immediate needs when I level up.

Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Order to quests?   Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:08 am

Don't worry, you can't really mess things up. All skills are useful. Barter you can do without unless it's a RPing choice since it's not that hard to get money and stuff in the game.

I don't want to spoil things for you. Foreknowledge makes the game much easier but it's way more fun the first time.

Take your time and explore. There are so many things to do in this game you'll enjoy it a lot more this way.

Triactus
Emperor

PostSubject: Re: Order to quests?   Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:55 am

And I heard there are kind of followers. I know you don't want to spoil anything, but is it like Dragon Age, or more like Oblivion? (I had an assassin girl follow me around when I got to the Brotherhood top rank.)

Ok, I'm going to play the game now. I'll tell you in an hour or two how many times I died...

Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Order to quests?   Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:59 am

Followers can be recruited at different points. Some of them require caps to be hired and your karma will determine the followers that you can recruit. You can only have one follower at a time (there is an extra follower available).

You've probably met Jericho in Megaton. The loud mouthed, bad tempered drunk is a follower but you have to be a bad guy to recruit him. If you're a goody don't sweat it, you'll have other opportunities later on.

Have fun killing raiders.

Triactus
Emperor

PostSubject: Re: Order to quests?   Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Yeah, I'm good (I think i'm a peacekeeper). Anyways, I didn't like his tone so good ridance.

Last night I finally did the Galaxy radio quest. I searched the subway tunnel a bit more and found an exit that took me right to a Brotherhood of steel team. So I tagged along with them to GNR. I reeeeeeeally tried to get the last shot at the Behemoth to get the xp, but it didn't happen... Sad

I also made my way to Minefield, stopping along the way to fight some super mutants. After a dozen reloads, I took a detour to go straight to Minefield. lol

There's two things in combat that annoy me a little. First, you can't do a conventional head shot. I mean I shoot three bullets in an unprotected head (no helmet) and they keep on attacking me. Sure you can crippled the head (what does that even mean?) but nothing else. I understand they want to make it harder to kill enemies (or easier for you to survive by not dying from single bullet), but I always loved shooters were you could die (or kill) from a single shot. Makes it challenging.

The other thing that annoys me is you can't (to my knowledge) crouch or hide behind objects in a firefight. I would understand in a game like Oblivion, melee swords and all. But in a gun environment, hiding is the name of the game. I really like how Red Dead Redemption made it. Let's say you're in a field under fire and coming to a boulder. You can press a button and the character slides, his back to the rock. You can then aim and when you press fire, his leans from the rock to fire. I think that's a kind of feature that's missing in Fallout 3.

Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Order to quests?   Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Problem is you're playing on the PS3. On the PC there would be mods to change the gameplay. As it is your only bet is to change the difficulty so that it won't take a bucketload of bullets to take down an unarmoured guy. On the PC you can get more spawns and that is quite fun.

In this game headshots are more lethal than other shots (damage is doubled) but most of the time it's not enough (unless you use a really powerful gun with a maxed out skill and don't play on the hard or very hard difficulty levels). By the way a crippled head makes it much harder for the enemy to hit you so it's not entirely useless (it may not be "realistic" but seriously there are worse things especially if we consider how sometimes characters end up flying away after being shot).

You don't have cover in the game. Crouching (sneaking) makes you more accurate but it doesn't work like a cover in games like Call of Duty or even Grand Theft Auto 4. If you want cover in Fallout 3 you have to keep moving around things that block the line of fire. IMO gamepads really help with being mobile since it's much more natural to move a stick than to hit A/Q/Z on your keyboard to move around.

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are not FPS. They're RPGs with a few FPS elements thrown in. The only way to make them work a bit more like FPS is to use mods with the PC version.

By the way IMO Fallout New Vegas is incredibly better than Fallout 3 because for a start armours work as they should (they don't just reduce damage, a heavy armour will prevent shots from getting through). Unfortunately both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas need mods to keep you interested after a few playthroughs. Fallout New Vegas has a better story with real choices, more options and less of a daddy issue.

I've heard good things about Read Dead Redemption. It's a pity they don't release a PC version, I would have loved a free roaming western game.

Triactus
Emperor

PostSubject: Re: Order to quests?   Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:44 pm

Hey, I have a problem that's come up. I own the house in Megaton along with Wadsworth, the robot butler. However, he stuck himself upstairs between the desk and a machine. He can't get out of there. Normally I wouldn't mind. Only, he's blocking access to the file cabinet where I stored a few things and the bed. I can't get by him and he can't move... any ideas? scratch

Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Order to quests?   Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:16 pm

That's why I made a mod to change its model on the PC...

Have you tried pushing him/running into him with your character? Or engaging dialogue from a distance (sometimes an animation may be triggered and solve the problem of the robot being stuck).

On the PC I could suggest a few things but on the console I don't really know.

Killing him may cause some problems later on (I did it once and as a result another robot that should have been friendly became hostile -I can't say it will necessarily happen though but it should only be considered if everything else fails).

If you have the automatic reload on the console then you may try killing your character to force a reload. Sometimes it helps with errors on the PC.

A grenade may get him to move out but he will probably be hostile. It may be worth a try...

Triactus
Emperor

PostSubject: Re: Order to quests?   Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:19 pm

Hey, I finally was able to over come my problem with the robot butler. I shot him with my shotgun. He turned enemy, but with the force of the blast, I had gotten enough space to jump behind him and push him out of the way. Once that was done, I ran downstairs, went outside and re-entered the house. Mr. robot butler was now an allied again *and* out of my way...

I am now level 13. I am a force to reckon with... mouahahaha. I fight with the sniper rifle in long range (though very rarely), chinese rifle in medium range and Combat shotgun in close range (I think it's the most effective gun, given the damage by number of bullets ratio). I'm also rich and I have about 1000 5.54 mm bullets amongst others... Life is good. I can even kill Raiders and Mutants with just one shot

I'm presently on my way to rescue the father out of Vault 112... Very Happy

Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Order to quests?   Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Have fun Tri.

Regarding weapons there are unique versions that are devastating but what you're describing is simple and yet effective. Sneak attacks are critical hits so they can help getting the job done as well.

Triactus
Emperor

PostSubject: Re: Order to quests?   Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:14 am

uuhhh.... Just did the Tranquility Lane mission. Afterwards, papa wants me to follow him to Rivet City. Boy, that was a mistake. I have to run from one side of the map to the other. And being a stealth assassin guy, it kinda makes me mad to see my weapon less father go out of his way to attack a giant scorpion... wtf? He keeps making huge detours to attack people that haven't even seen him yet. Let's just be quiet and be on our way!... grrr Next time I play, I'll just quick jump to Rivet City and wait for him there...

Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Order to quests?   Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:38 am

The good thing on the PC is that you can give him some gear and make him a force to be reckoned with. Seeing him jump at radscorpions and raiders with a lead pipe is beyond preposterous...

They should have given him some stealth boy device so he could get to Rivet City without all this crap. It is only made worse by the fact that NPC AI is not that good (i.e. they keep rushing toward the enemy all guns blazing no matter what) and if you're playing a clever stealthy sniper then you're better off going solo.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Order to quests?   

Back to top Go down

Order to quests?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Belle Sakura Saloon :: The Gaming House :: The Lonesome Cowboys :: The Atomic Pistoleros-
Jump to: