Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

DAO crash problem

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

DAO crash problem Empty
PostSubject: DAO crash problem   DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 6:04 pm

The chances are good I will get a copy of DA II for christmas. So in the mean time, I thought it would be a marvelous idea to replay DAO to get me in the mood. Unfortunately, I patched everything up to date. I say unfortunately because as I've read online, the 1.03 and up version of the game has a lot of bugs that weren't there previously. And my game crashes. And crashes. And crashes. It sometimes have to restart a fight some 4 or 5 times just because of game crashes. I have isolated a particular problem. Consistently, the game crashes whenever I try to cast Mana Clash (and a quick google check will confirm I am not close to being the only one). Which kinda sucks because Mana Clash is a monster of a spell, considering it basically kills any non-boss mages outright, taking out powerful aspects out of the enemy's arsenal with minimal effort.

Anyways, it sucks.. Sad
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

DAO crash problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAO crash problem   DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 7:14 pm

I remember that one of the patches broke stealing.

Get the unofficial patch, it will save your sanity:

http://social.bioware.com/project/2563/
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

DAO crash problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAO crash problem   DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 8:41 pm

Official patches that cause more bugs? That does really suck.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

DAO crash problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAO crash problem   DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 9:15 pm

Happens (almost) all the time. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

DAO crash problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAO crash problem   DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 3:02 pm

I have this same crash issue with Mana Clash and a number of other AOE spells. I actually first encountered it with the "Holy Smite" Templar ability, which I had Alistair set to use in his tactics. It took me a while to narrow it down to that. Grenades will also sometimes cause it, so I gave up on using those completely. It's a shame that it will never get fixed, now that Bioware has stopped patching DAO.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

DAO crash problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAO crash problem   DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 4:42 pm

Yeah, I agree. It's ridiculous that we have to stop using a weapon / ability because the makers of the game didn't correct their mistakes. And Mana clash, like I said, kills mage instantly,and is an area spell. So if 4 mages are in a tight group, you cast Mana Clash on them and they immediately die. Pretty cool­. So it sucks I can't use it because of a game default. I will try the unofficial patch tonight.

After a google search, some people were talking about how, in a 64 bit windows (like I have), the game doesn't properly use ram. It apparently limits the amount of RAM the game has access to, hence the crash. I tried a patch on the .exe that several people recommended... Didn't change anything...
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

DAO crash problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAO crash problem   DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 4:49 pm

I had the same crashing problems on my old computer, which was a 32-bit Vista system. They actually seemed to happen less frequently on my Win7 64-bit computer, but that may well be because I avoided using talents I suspected of causing crashes.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

DAO crash problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAO crash problem   DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Never noticed these crashes. I'm not big on area spells it's true but still I should have noticed that.

Are you using the unofficial patch?
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

DAO crash problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAO crash problem   DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 2:52 pm

I installed the unofficial patch last night. Well what do you know, it seems it worked! I tried to cast the spell a couple times, it didn't crash. I cast it in a duel, worked too. The real test will be in a full fledge battle with spells, abilities and all that. But so far I'm impressed... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

DAO crash problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAO crash problem   DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 2:57 pm

That would explain why I never experienced any of these crashes.

Shame on Bioware for not patching their game and not keeping their word. We were promised extra content and what we got was recycled areas and more bugs.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

DAO crash problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAO crash problem   DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 3:12 pm

Yeah. My friend played DA II and told me the game is a bit of a mess. Although on that count, you can hardly blame Bioware. Electronic ''We are Satan's disciples'' Arts decided out of the blue they would release DA II a year earlier than planned. A lot of stuff didn't get made and stuff that was to be in the full game was hurried and released via DLC. I don't remember which module, but my friend played a DLC and said the boss of that module clearly was supposed to be the boss of the game... But I dunno, haven't played DA II yet. Hope I'll get it for christmas...!
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

DAO crash problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAO crash problem   DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 6:22 pm

Gaaah, I'm almost finished with DAO. I'm down to the final battle with the Arch demon. Only, twice now the game crashed while I was fighting the dragon (and late in the fight too... grrrr...). I decided to screw it and just cheat to kill the dragon outright. I already did the game a few years back and I just wanted to export my character post-final fight for the Awakening game.... :/
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

DAO crash problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAO crash problem   DAO crash problem I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 12:04 am

It's fair game. The last battle is a bit underwhelming anyway so you don't have to feel bad about it -especially if the game keeps crashing!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DAO crash problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAO crash problem   DAO crash problem I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DAO crash problem
Page 1 of 1