Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Hobbit

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

The Hobbit Empty
PostSubject: The Hobbit   The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 5:46 pm

It seems like Peter Jackson is going to do it again.

I actually liked the first LotR movie and I think Peter Jackson got the look right but I was seriously disappointed by the two sequels. It seems to me that the sequels were moving away from the book.

Jackson completely raped Faramir and betrayed the spirit of the book with the ending. Judging by the way the mount Doom scene was treated I'm convinced that he didn't understand what the book was about. I won't mention the ents or the dwarf tossing. Dumbing down a great story has nothing to do with adapting it to the screen. Also when you know that Tolkien spent 12 years writing this book and paid attention to every details you can't help wondering why Jackson had to change dates and places (taking Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath didn't make sense at all).

Anyway, it's going to get harder and harder to avoid the hype about the new movies so we may as well discuss them here.

I'm really glad Martin Freeman is going to star in this movie. He is a great choice and can really bring something likeable to the character on the screen.

What I don't get is how can they possibly justify the introduction of a new character named Tauriel who is rumored to be a female elven warrior... That is just preposterous. In LotR Arwen replaced Glorfindel and that was already kinda iffy but introducing a new character?!!

We can only assume that Peter Jackson decided to please the masses who want badass warrior princesses à la Xena or that he felt that the Hobbit didn't present enough eye candy/female hotness. In any case that seems to be a very misguided way to handle a story that already features a large number of characters.

I expect that it will cheapen the whole thing and while I was getting interested in seeing what they could get out of the Hobbit on the screen I really doubt that I'm going to like all those changes. Especially if we're to expect Mary Sues and fanfiction instead of Tolkien's writing. Suspect
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

The Hobbit Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 12:13 pm

I've found a site that lists all the differences between Jackson's movies and the original book. It is worth a read for anyone who believes that the movies are true to the Lord of the Rings.

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Two Towers

The Return of the King

The worst thing is that the changes that were introduced in the movies never improved on the material but only demonstrated the lack of subtlety of the movie compared to the film -and I'm not even getting into all the "cool" additions that cheapen the whole thing (Gandalf's kungfu when he kicks Denethor's backside, Legolas and Gimli's wrestling with Théoden's guards among other things).

I think I'm going to watch Willow again instead of getting all riled up. By the way it seems obvious to me that Jackson's movies have a few scenes in common with Willow. The inn scene and the Gandalf/Saruman fight in the first movie can remind a viewer of the inn scene in Willow and the Bavmorda fight scene.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

The Hobbit Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 10:00 am

Tolkian had a power that can't be translated into a movie. He made the world come alive. I read those books years ago but I was an adult and I remember getting the shivers at his description.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

The Hobbit Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 11:55 am

Have you seen this? I like the statement "Keep calm the Mayans were simply counting down to The Hobbit."
The Hobbit movie
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

The Hobbit Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 12:46 pm

Such pretentiousness is something I've noticed before. Peter Jackson was reported saying that they should make a book out of his movie (the Lord of the Rings). The guy seems to think he is funny.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

The Hobbit Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 12:56 pm

lol! I find it hard to believe he actually said that. Is it fact or just a rumour?
I am both shocked and laughing.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

The Hobbit Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 4:20 pm

I read it in the official booklet for the first movie. To be honest it was meant as a quip.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

The Hobbit Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 7:05 pm

One of those quips that can be easily misunderstood. Some things do not translate well to print.
Back to top Go down
dragoniguana
World Savior
dragoniguana

The Hobbit Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 6:21 pm

I like to think of the Lord of the Rings books and the Lord of the Rings movies as two separate things. That is, when I read the books, I pretend the movies don't exist, and when I watch the movies, I simply pretend the books don't exist.

Although, there will always be that one thorn in my side when it comes to the movies.

They didn't have Tom Bombadil.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

The Hobbit Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   The Hobbit I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:26 am

I salute your ability to separate the book and the movies, it's a wise way to look upon this subject.

Being able to apprehend the movies as "something else" would certainly help me.

I wonder who could have been cast as Tom Bombadil or how they could have pulled that off. It's not like this character would translate that well on screen and it would probably have introduced many questions for the audience (some of which are asked by Frodo in the book when he suggests giving the ring to Bombadil).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Hobbit Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hobbit   The Hobbit I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Hobbit
Page 1 of 1