Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Empty
PostSubject: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 7:19 am

Heard of this game through a friend of mine.

This game feels like Skyrim, God of War and Sacred in a blender. There is this huge map to explore, just like in Skyrim.

Combat is the part that feels like GoW, you have a Fate gauge, and when it's filled, you enter reckoning mode, and perform special kills.

There is a magic system, but I am still very early in the game, so I can't really speak on it.

I have began a rogue-type PC, and I am fighting with daggers. Deadly speed over brute strength for me, thanks a lot.

If you guys -- and gals -- dig any of the said games, KoA is definitively worth the time. I was forced to buy an French version, but THANKFULLY, there is an English language update!

Check it out!
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 9:34 am

Todd MacFarlane is responsible for the art of this game? Enough said.

The only problem as far as I'm concerned is that the system requirements seem a bit too much for my computer. I guess I can always give the demo a try and see how it works.

I've been trying very hard to get into Skyrim and to stick to one character but I haven't succeeded so far and after watching the trailer for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I have to say it looks rather interesting (especially the Fate thing) and R.A. Salvatore may not be Tolkien but at least he can come up with decent stories (which is more than can be said about many videogames).

One question though, is the game dependent on Steam or Origin? As far as I can see the demo is only available on Steam.

EDIT: I've just tried the demo. Of course Steam had to update something while I was playing causing the game to freeze... Bloody Steam. Other than that it is a pretty fun game to play, reminded me of DAO and Fable. Shields suck but daggers are incredibly cool. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
dragoniguana
World Savior
dragoniguana

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 6:05 pm

If I do say so myself, Reckoning is an absolutely solid game. In fact, I'd definitely list it in my top 5 RPGs of all time. The combat is simply the best I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing in an RPG to date. As of now, with my level 15 Battlemage, the process I would use to kill a troll would be:

1) Hammer at him with my flaming chakrams from mid-range
2) Wait until he charges, then teleport through him
3) Slash at him with my poison greatsword
4) Activate my skill to make it so my abilities cannot be interupted
5) And, finally, use Quake to finish him off

The graphics are quite nice, though not the absolute best. The art style is quite amazing, however. It really serves to give the game its own unique style, personifying the "Age of Arcana" in which the game takes place.

The story is good, as well. I absolutely love the 10,000 year lore they have cooked up. I'm always a sucker for a big long lore, being an educated Elder Scrolls historian. The writing is great at times, too, and some bosses and setpieces are incredible.

The class system was geniusly done. Nothing is solid; you could go the entire game playing a straight warrior, then switch over to a mage/rogue at the very end, if you so wished. The skills are fun to use, as well.

The loot and inventory systems are rather good. Though I did end up picking up mostly the same kind of armor and weapons sometimes, I was always excited to see what the next type of armor I'd get would be. The armor and weapons are also extremely well-designed. I also love the addition of unique armor and weapons, each having their own little backstory. Despite their worth, I can never sell them.

If there is a downside to this game, it's probably the fact that the world isn't all that open. Invisible walls may begin to hassle you. However, this really isn't a game made for a huge, immersive world like that.

Well, there's my long rant/review of the awesomeness of Reckoning. Let me know if I left anything out.

EDIT: There is some stuff I left out. I'm about 25 hours through the game so far. And, yes, this game is basically what Fable should have been. Except even better than that. Far better.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 8:54 pm

I've just started the game and there are many things to do and that's a lot of fun. The more I'm playing and the more I'm reminded of Fable -without the goofiness.

I had a look at reviews and some people criticize the look of the game for being too cartoony but I actually like it. This sets the game apart from other titles like Skyrim.

Besides gameplay wise it's a treat and it allows me to put my gamepad to good use. The Reckoning mode is overkill and that alone is exhilarating.

I'm focusing on daggers and chakrams for now and I've dabbled in crafting (I made a set of fire daggers that are pretty awesome at this early point of the game). I'm wondering if enemies will present much of a challenge or if I should play at a higher difficulty (I'm playing on normal for now). I'm not far into the game but the only moderately challenging fight was an encounter with a troll.

Anyway it's a pretty good game and one that I'm having fun playing. So thanks to you Skorpinok for pointing this one out. The last time I had that much fun with a fantasy game was with Two Worlds. Hopefully KoA:R will keep entertaining me for quite a while. Smile

EDIT: is it just me or did you think about Planescape Torment at the very beginning of the game? I don't know if this is some sort of homage but the similarities are very amusing.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 2:28 am

How is the text? Is there a lot of reading? Do you think I could handle it?
Back to top Go down
dragoniguana
World Savior
dragoniguana

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 2:52 am

Voice acting. High quality voice acting, at that. There are also completely optional books scattered around, which give some lore, Elder Scrolls style.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 3:11 am

Thank you Dragoniguana, I have a vision problem so I wondering about the text and the UI. The game sounds good to me but no point to my getting it if I can't play it.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 8:01 pm

It should be fine. Plenty of voice acting and the fonts aren't too small. Perhaps look for a gameplay video and play it full screen, that should give you an idea. Else I'm sure we could take some screenshots.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks, Cara. I will check.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 9:36 pm

This is a gameplay video of the very beginning of the game (the tutorial/demo).

It's funny, the text looks much larger on my computer (1440x900).

The best thing is probably to download the demo on Steam and see how it works out. I wasn't sure about my computer running this game and that answered all my questions. Link.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 12:44 am

Thanks Cara, I will do that. Right now I am working on a mod and still need to play Skyrim but I will keep this game as a potential. May dl the demo.

It looks like fun. A cartoonish Planescape?
Back to top Go down
dragoniguana
World Savior
dragoniguana

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 1:31 am

I, myself, wouldn't recommend putting this game on the backburner. But that's just me. I like to play it in conjunction with Skyrim. Two sides of the same RPG coin. This way I can experience both.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 2:49 am

Interestin view. I am working on learning modding that is the reason Ididn't want to get involved in a new game. However I will take you opinion into consideration. I like to change off games and this one does look interesting. I will check the demo.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 7:17 am

Quote :
. So thanks to you Skorpinok for pointing this one out. The last time I had that much fun with a fantasy game was with Two Worlds. Hopefully KoA:R will keep entertaining me for quite a while.

When my friend showed me the game, I immediately liked it, and it was so good I thought it would be a shame not to share this gem with the rest of you. This is a different twist on so many things, it makes for a refreshing and different, yet familiar playing experience.

If there's a game that was good enough to make me put Minecraft in the backburner, it was this one. Nak, this one would DEFINITIVELY be worth your while, the game is THAT DAMN GOOD.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 7:38 am

Wow, that is high praise. I willdefinitely take a look at it. If my eyes can deal with it I will get it.
Back to top Go down
dragoniguana
World Savior
dragoniguana

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 10:51 am

This game has me quite excited for what else is coming out for both this franchise and Big Huge Games. Since I know they have a huge franchise planned, this is certainly a great way to start it off.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 1:09 pm

The thing I like about this game is that it is fun. Unlike many others it doesn't try (too) hard to make a statement or to look all grim and dark -I like the Witcher or DAO but the grim and drab RPG fad can get old.

Reckoning allows me to recharge my batteries after getting mired in Skyrim (I wasn't having fun anymore which is the worst thing that can happen when playing a game).

I would have enjoyed having more information on the world at the beginning especially when it comes to the different races but I guess it works with the all amnesia storyline (that's where the Torment reference comes in).

The dialogues are all about business and it uses a topic system which is fine since IMO this game is to be played rather than roleplayed (a bit like Fable if you see what I mean).

Besides if there is one thing R.A. Salvatore knows it's how to borrow from the best. In this case the background takes many things from fantasy classics and Celtic myths. The conclusion is that it works and succeeds in making a rather convincing background. Being a fan of Todd MacFarlane's art makes it even more enjoyable.

In any case this game reminds me of the things I liked about games like Fable and Diablo. These games weren't RPing treats but they were a lot of fun. Reckoning also borrows from the old IE games we love and cherish and it seems to me that it strikes a rather fine balance between action and story. The result is really fun to play.

So Nakia do yourself a favour and give the demo a try. It's a tutorial but it will give you a fair impression of what it's like to play the game. Just be aware that the real game is less linear and offers many many things to keep you busy.

It would be a shame to miss out on this one.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 3:09 pm

I tried to fin it on Steam but couldn't. The game is listed by nothing comes up. I will look again I don't do well with Steams search.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 4:08 pm

I've posted the link before, here it is:

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/102500/

Go through the DOB thingy and look for the download demo button. Wink
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks, cara.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 11:44 pm

You're welcome. Let us know what you think about the game when you have a chance. Wink
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 8:22 pm

I recycled my warrior into an Archer, surprisingly good, weaken the enemies with arrows then cut them down with daggers. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 12:05 pm

The game is awesome.

I've started a new character. I had quite a hard time choosing a face for my character. I've tried two elves (Dokkalfar) and I've played through the tutorial with a few more.

I even tried making The Nameless One but couldn't get the look I wanted. I wish there were more options or options to unlock some of the haircuts and beards that are specific to certain races. I don't care much about the Varani stats but they do have the best haircuts and beards IMO.

Anyway to cut a long story short I ended up making a female Almain who is a jack of all trades (the bonus to skills is really great at lower levels).

Spoiler:

The chronic restarter syndrome has prevented me from going too far into the game but I still managed to have some great fun (which is more than I can say about many other games lately).
Back to top Go down
dragoniguana
World Savior
dragoniguana

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 5:23 pm

I am currently 27 hours into the game. Level 17. My character is a female Verani named Alessia. Battlemage. My weapons are a greatsword and a pair of chakrams. I absolutely love this game.

I also started a new character, a Dokkalfar rogue.

By the way, how is the combat on PC? I'm playing it on PS3, and the combat really feels suited to consoles. But, I wouldn't know.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 7:37 pm

I can't comment on the keyboard and mouse combat since I use an Xbox controller for the PC and the gameplay is simply flawless.

I'm still struggling with the urge of starting a new character... This chronic restarter syndrome is starting to annoy me. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next