Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition

Go down 
+4
DanielCoffey
Kana
Carabas
Nakia the Rogue
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 2:23 am

Blasphemy! Imoen is supposed to be irritating! Very Happy

The one thing that looks cool is the possibility to zoom in and out.

I've read somewhere that they did change many lines of dialogue as well... That is something I don't understand...
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 3:56 am

I think they cut the dialogue. Jahaira doesn't carry on the way I remember doing. The dialogue feels watered down to me.
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 5:52 am

You might just be used to using the NPC mod for BG1. There really wasn't all that much companion dialogue in the vanilla game. It was BG2 which added that.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 9:08 am

Maybe, Kana, I just remember Imoen and Jahaira complaining and carrying on a lot more. They really annoyed me but now they are rather silent.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 2:50 pm

All in all this seems to me to be a pretty disappointing result... It was a good idea but if that's all we can expect from these enhancements then I'll stick to Easy Tutu and all the cool mods like Finch and the NPC mod.

I can't see the point in spending money on a dumbed down version of a classic game which according to IGN does look pixellated at times.

I can't believe they felt that it was justified to lose the opening quote. That is a really stupid move.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 3:51 pm

The only thing I can think for losing the quote is that the developers at Overhaul don't really understand the game. Don't understand that it is more than a game it is a statement on life and the complexities of human nature. The whole point I think of Baldur's Gate I is finding out who you are.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 5:29 pm

Exactly, thank you Nakia! Smile

The sad thing is that many players (including a number who may never have read philosophy) were able to relate to the meaning of that quote and obviously that's something that the people responsible for the Enhanced Edition couldn't be bothered with.

Dismissing something as quintessential as this quote is only proof to the fact that they certainly aren't up to the task.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 7:05 pm

I've been seriously thinking about getting BG 1 and 2 from GOG just to avoid the DRM and the annoyance of using my old CDs. I did the math and it should cost something like 16 euros (i.e. the price of a few beers at my local pub). IMO it's way more interesting than getting the so called Enhanced Edition.

I feel like playing a low level Wild Mage (possibly dualled into Thief for extra weirdness) or a Beastmaster/Cleric (now that would be quite a change of pace). Laughing

EDIT: I went along and bought them. There are some extra goodies. It's been a while since I've played these games. This should be fun.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 8:51 pm

It should be a lot of fun. I would love to hear about your game. Please keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 9:18 pm

I'm off mod hunting. Wink
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 12:46 am

Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 72655
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 4:27 am

Nakia the Rogue wrote:
Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 72655

So true... lol!

I've spent some hours on bringing my game up to speed but I'm happy with the result and I've set up both Easy Tutu and BG2 so it was time well spent.

I've also found pictures of the new characters from the Enhanced Edition so I made new portraits with those. Wink

And I've found something that may be of interest to you Nakia: Bigger Fonts mod for Baldur's Gate 2 .

A picture is worth a thousand words so here is a screenshot of my game:

Spoiler:

The resolution is 1440x900 (which is the highest resolution on my laptop). There is no pixelation although the characters don't look that big it could be worse considering that the game was never meant to be played at that resolution. You may also notice that the "end dialogue" button is not at the center (but I can live with that).

But the text itself thanks to the bigger fonts mod can be read without effort which is what matters given the sheer number of reading that has to be done.

This of course is just a test but I believe my game is fine. I didn't experiment any problems like I did with IWD2 so it's a relief.

Of course the character screen is a bit on the tiny side but at least it doesn't look all dirty and pixelated (as it would at lower resolutions).

Judging by what I've seen of the Enhanced Edition it seems to me this is a fair trade since I can enjoy the original game in all its splendour (quote and all) with many cool mods (not to mention the fact that moving to BG2 is a possibility once I'm done with BG1).

Anyway that's all for now. I'll upload better screenshots later. Wink
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks for the link to the larger fonts. That is good to know about. Nice picture.

Have fun.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks, it will only work for the English version of the game (not that it is a problem). Wink
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 2:25 am

By the way I thought I'd share with you something I've found at Spellhold Studios:

W_GUI

It's a pretty amazing User Interface for BG2, Tutu and BGT.

It comes with custom character and inventory screens:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Other screenshots can be found here.

Furthermore it also comes with a bigger font option and I've tried it with the biggest font available and it is pretty easy on the eyes and easy to read as well.

Here is a screen from my current Easy Tutu game:

Spoiler:

I believe the pictures speak for themselves and I don't think the Enhanced Edition looks better than this. Smile

Just be careful when installing this mod because the weidu setup exe has Polish as the first choice (it's usually English) so this can be misleading if you're not paying attention.
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Well, I got the iPad version of BGEE, so thought I'd weigh in.

I definitely feel it was worth the money for me to have a portable version. While the port still needs work in certain areas, it's nice to be able to sit on the beach or lie in bed and play BG. I'm not sure if I would spring for the PC version of BGEE, but I like having this one.

As for the new content, I have picked up all three of the new party members. I like the fact that they use BGII kits. My character is using the Archer kit. I've got Imoen and Branwen, along with the wild mage, monk, and blackguard. I'm going to try to keep the three new characters throughout the game to see how well they have been integrated into the game.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 9:43 pm

It's good to have a different perspective Kana so feel free to keep us posted about the iPad version. Wink

I've read the new NPCs are rather well integrated but are not really original, I assume it's first and foremost a matter of opinion so if you have anything to share with us on the subject that would be nice.

Have you more information on the Pits? Is it any good?
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 12:49 pm

The wild mage character is very well done. The only thing I have heard about the Black Pits is that it is mostly slash and bash.

Kana, please do keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 9:27 pm

I played a bit of the Black Pits. The story is that your party has been teleported into the Underdark by a crazy Drow wizard and forced to compete in arena fights. You are given some gold to outfit your characters from a group of vendors, so you have to make some choices about what equipment, spells, and potions to buy. It seems like each battle gives your party just about enough experience to level up. After each battle, you are teleported back to the vendors and given a bit more gold, allowing you to stock up on potions and buy spells for your mages. You don't get a lot of gold, though, so you have to prioritize.

It seems like it could be a nice way to toy around with different party combinations, but it is pretty much just combat. I prefer more quest-based material, so I'm not sure how long it will hold my interest.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Kana, do you think it would be good to use at low levels when you would like to level up, get some XP and some decent equipment?
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 10:51 pm

The Black Pits is a stand-alone thing, completely separate from the main campaign, so it won't help with that. It might be possible to export a character from that and import them into the main game, but equipment probably won't carry over.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks for the info, too bad about not being integrated into the game itself as so far I haven't heard anything that makes me want to play it. Sounds like a game they had in mind but couldn't come up with enough to make a real game so they just tossed it in to encourage people to think they were getting more for their money.

Please let us know if I am wrong.
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 11:07 pm

I think you're right, probably. I guess some people do like arena fights or gladiator stuff, but I've never been terribly interested in it. I felt the same way about the arena in Oblivion. It's just repetition.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 11:17 pm

That's a bit lazy IMO and not something I would be enjoying. I agree with you Kana, quest-based material is much more interesting.

Quote :
The wild mage character is very well done.

That's cool. I can't say I'm impressed by what I have seen. The evil Half Orc seems a bit formulaic and so does the exotic Monk.

Mods provide some very nice and well done characters (and I'm not even talking about the NPC mod that adds extra dialogue and personality to existing characters). Take Finch or Indira for instance, they have some great lines with each other and the original NPCs.

BG2 takes it even further with some great NPC mods among which I'd say my favourite is probably Angelo (Kelsey being a close second but I'm not a fan of mages).

That's not taking into account some interesting NPC mods that are a bit flawed like Solaufein, Valen or Tsujatha (I find these characters to be a bit overpowered, Tsujatha not as much as the two others).

You also have a few Mary Sues like Chloe and Saerileth (our favourite victim).

Back on the topic of the Enhanced Edition what I find more annoying is the things I've read about the dialogue being modified. That really doesn't make much sense to me.

I've also read that there was some level scaling introduced to prevent your low level characters from facing certain dangerous encounters. Is there any truth in that?
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 11:35 pm

I haven't noticed any level scaling, or even modified dialogue. In fact, aside from the new companions and their quests, I'm not noticing all that much that is different.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition   Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next