Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Age of Decadence
by Carabas Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:07 pm

» Crusaders Kings 2
by Carabas Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:37 pm

» Far Cry 3
by Carabas Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:39 pm

» Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom
by Carabas Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm

» Rise of the Argonauts
by Carabas Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:37 pm

» The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians
by Carabas Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:53 am

» Carmageddon Max Damage
by Carabas Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:35 am

» Dex (Cyberpunk RPG)
by Carabas Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:54 am

» Tyranny [no spoilers]
by Carabas Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:41 pm

» Mass Effect Andromeda
by Carabas Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:48 am

» Fallout 4 Mods
by Carabas Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 am

» DAO and DA2
by Carabas Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:38 am

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

BlackZarak

Most users ever online was 39 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:37 pm
Statistics
We have 42 registered users
The newest registered user is hellsheep

Our users have posted a total of 25111 messages in 638 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Your five favourite Westerns

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Your five favourite Westerns   Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:43 pm

Since we have a western themed forum and since I love movies I thought we could have a thread that put these things together.

What are your five favourite westerns?

It's really hard to pick since there are so many movies... without further ado here is my list:

1- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

A cult movie that turned Clint Eastwood into a star. Its music, slow pace (characteristic of Sergio Leone's movies) separate it from all its successors. If you've ever watched other Spaghetti Westerns you know that this movie is way better than any of the other Spaghetti Westerns (although the ones starring Clint Eastwood are not that bad even if they don't come near the sheer awesomeness of this one).

2- Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid

Another instance of movie perfection and a strong contestant for the first place in my list. Sam Peckinpah's movie is both violent and poetic, wistful and humorous. The music by Bob Dylan (who has a small role in the film) is unforgettable and brings together the end of the old west and the death of its icons. The cast and the performances are amazing. Kris Kristofferson is the perfect kid for James Coburn's Pat Garrett. This movie is older than I am but it has a freshness that is rarely found in movies nowadays.

3- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

A light hearted movie with real depth and probably one of the best buddy movies ever made. There are so many memorable scenes that I can't help smiling when I think about this movie. As usual Newman and Redford work perfectly well together. The ending is IMO one of the most climactic ending in the history of cinema.

4- Once Upon a Time in the West

The other Spaghetti Western that is definitely worth a spot on this list. Everybody probably remembers the sound of the harmonica playing during some of these scenes. Ennio Morricone's music is definitely an important element in this movie. Henry Fonda's interpretation of the ruthless Frank is memorable and so far away from the roles he had done before that it's even more unsettling. The other actors, Charles Bronson, Jason Robards and Claudia Cardinale are excellent and they manage not to be completely overshadowed by Fonda's performance which in itself is most definitely a feat.

5- One-Eyed Jacks

The only film directed by Marlon Brando, I didn't include it in my list for this reason but because it's a great tale of friendship and betrayal. It's not a simple story however and the actors (Brando and Karl Malden) do it justice. It's a very interesting piece especially when set against Hollywood movies of the early 60s.

I'm really annoyed that I can't include other movies which I really like but if we don't set a limit these lists can get out of hand. Still, I'd like to mention five other movies that should have been on the list: (in no particular order) High Noon, The Ballad of Cable Hogue, Jeremiah Johnson, The Shooting (a truly remarkable but underrated movie with Jack Nicholson) and Unforgiven (obviously).

Nakia the Rogue
Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Your five favourite Westerns   Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:40 am

1) The Cowboys A 1972 John Wayne movie. My favorite of his and a bit different from the run of the mill genre. A Cattle rancher loses his cowboys to the Gold Rush and hires a bunch of teenagers to drive the cattle to market. If you haven't seen it you are in for a bit of a surprise.

2) High Noon Another cult movie from the 50's. Considered a classic.

3) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - See Caraba's post above ofr information.

4) North to Alaska This is an Alaska Gold Rush movie not a cowboy movie but it is listed as Western and Comedy. A fun filled romantic movie set where? In Alaska of course. Enjoy a change of pace By the way it stars Joh Wayne. He did other things besides Cowboy type movies. Very Happy

#5 is a bit hard. Don't want to repeat Carabas' again. There were all those fun movies I loved as a child, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Hoppolong Cassidy. Rode my pony down to the local cinema to watch those every Saturday.

Sakura777
Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Your five favourite Westerns   Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:18 pm

1.Calamity Jane I'm a huge huge Doris Day fan Smile
2. The Magnificent Seven Yul Brynner <3
3. Westworld I know its not really a Western but it was set in a Western type park, and it has Yul Brynner Smile
4. From Dusk Till Dawn Again I know its not a Western but its comes under Horror Western
Yeah by now you can guess I don't watch many Western films Sad
5. Its not a film but I always watched it when I was little Little House on the Prairie
Back to top Go down
http://puredebauchery.tumblr.com/
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Your five favourite Westerns   Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:46 am

:lolI remember Calamity Jane and Doris Day. A fun movie more fantasy than fact but she did a good job.

I had forgotten about the Magnificent Seven, good choice I think.

Little House on the pararie was a good series and probably more realistic than many others.

Don't think I ever saw From Dusk to Dawn.

Just about anything with yul Bryner in it was my favorite.

Trip
Psycho Princess

PostSubject: Re: Your five favourite Westerns   Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:45 am

From Dusk to Dawn is a really silly vampire movie but it's worth watching for the yummy dancing on the tables

And the Lord said to John "Come forth and receive eternal life" but John came fifth and won a toaster

Carabas said I'm adorable and he's the boss so you all have to listen!
Back to top Go down
Trip
Psycho Princess

PostSubject: Re: Your five favourite Westerns   Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:45 am

(I mean silly as in funny)

And the Lord said to John "Come forth and receive eternal life" but John came fifth and won a toaster

Carabas said I'm adorable and he's the boss so you all have to listen!
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Your five favourite Westerns   Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:29 pm

From Dusk Till Dawn 3 is a western, the first one is not but it's definitely a BETTER movie and it's so much fun to watch. Don't watch From Dusk Till Dawn 2 unless you're really bored, drunk or don't know what to do with your life.

The Magnificent Seven is a classic movie but it's too much of a remake of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai.

Sakura777
Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Your five favourite Westerns   Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:36 pm

Yeah I chose Dusk till Dawn because of George Clooney <3 (he get older and older but still looks gorgeous...well in my opinion Smile
To be honest I havent watched Seven Samurai, I think its a trip to the rental store Smile
Back to top Go down
http://puredebauchery.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your five favourite Westerns   

Back to top Go down

Your five favourite Westerns
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Belle Sakura Saloon :: The Saloon :: The Silver Screen-