Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Pillars of Eternity

Go down 
+4
RYUchan
DanielCoffey
dragoniguana
Kana
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 6:29 pm

The 1.8 stretch goal has been achieved. At the rate the pledges are now I doubt they will get more than 2.5 mil.

I think people are being unrealistic in what they want and the arguing about romances is ridiculous.

The game engine is confirmed. It is Unity. Wasteland 2 is using that engine.
A Linux version has been confirmed.

Images for Wasteland 2
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Radio Interview. Project Eternity
Back to top Go down
DanielCoffey
Conjuror
DanielCoffey

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 8:53 pm

They are doing well... but if you want to see a +2200% funded project, this Kickstarter marshmallow girl has the right idea about presentation...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649827049/kerfluffles-marshmallows-all-natural-handmade-yumm
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 5:01 am

Very Happy Just what is the money being used for? It is tempting. Not on my diet though. Smart lady.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 2:49 pm

Some one posted a pole on Obsidian asking where everyone was from. More Europeans are interested in the game than anyone else. y0T Only 26% are from North America.

Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 2:25 am

Update 8

At 2.2 mil translation into French, German, Spanish. That would be the text. Shows art work of a Human Fighter who is also a major character. Other little goodies to encourage people to pledge.

Not a lot of news but enough to maybe get some more pledges. Still no word on PayPal.

Last edited by Nakia the Rogue on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 3:01 am

The novella by Chris Avellone sounds like a nice bonus. That would be a good way to establish some additional lore about the game world. The Dragon Age books, while nothing groundbreaking as literature, did add some nice backstory to those games.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 4:18 am

Yes it is a nice bonus. I think it kicks in at the 50$ tier but I'm not sure. That I think is a digital tier. Was getting tired when I saw the update so may have missed things. I like that artwork of the fighter.

I am hoping the translations will get some more pledges. People have been asking for them. Let's see if they put their money where the mouth is or typing fingers.

Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 6:35 pm

Just posted New Update
Update 9
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 9:18 pm

One of the characters in PE:[url=Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 Femalearmourwithboobplat]Cadegund[/url]

PA article
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Here is a link to the music in the Kickstarter video for Project Eternity. Is it my imagination or does it remind you of the music from Skyrim?
PE Trailer music
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 11:42 am

I am about ready to throw a tizzy fit. Some woman posted on the PE forum that we should include the stereotyping and prejudices of our world in the game. Penalize the female characters for being women, treat them differently from the male characters. Bring our Christian bias into a pagan game.

Hokay, I am simplifying but that is the gist of it. I don't mind having societies that reflect different values but if I want to play a warrior woman I don't want her penalized for being a woman. If we start down that road she wouldn't be able to use a two handed sword, axe or hammer. A woman who takes up adventuring should should have the ability to be an adventurer. Why not limit women to magic use? Oh women are sweet, kind, caring so let's make them healers. What a strong female antagonist? Unheard of.

Tell me why do women want to enforce the myth of women somehow being nicer than men? Explain to me.
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 6:11 pm

I wouldn't want stat penalties or gameplay restrictions for gender, but I would like to see NPCs react differently based on gender, along with race and class. I want to be able to play a female warrior, but that doesn't necessarily mean people would react to her the way they would react to a male warrior. I like playing characters who defy society's expectations of them.

I don't want an idealistic egalitarian society. Obsidian's writing is particularly strong in this department. They have conflict without it seeming heavy-handed or forced.
Back to top Go down
dragoniguana
World Savior
dragoniguana

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 7:13 pm

Nakia, that'd be fine if they were going for realism. For example, in the Mount & Blade games, it's a bit harder to start off playing as a women, due to prejudice and all that.

However, this is not our world, and thus it should not be bound by our world's rules. It's called fantasy for a reason.
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 11:10 pm

My first cRPG was Betrayal at Krondor where you take the role of young budding male mage. I had no problems with playing that role. At point it switched to playing Squire James again no problem. In the BG games I switched between playing female characters and male characters again no problem. In Prince of Qin you play the role of the prince and the companion classes are gender specific. No problem. But actually advocating that a character be limited because of gender I find ridiculous at best and potentially offensive.

If you are advocating reality then in real life women have taken many different roles both good and bad. Every human being is limited by their physical, mental and emotional abilities. There was even artist I believe who learned to paint with his toes. Have no idea how good it was as I don't remember his name.

A fantasy game or for that matter a science fiction game is not reality. It is a fictional world and I just do not wan the stereotypes and prejudices of our world introduced into the game just because someone wants to carry forward that type of things. One poster did point out that it could be done as a means for showing them just how wrong they are. That would be fine with me. But to forcce me to build a second rate female warrior is not.

Enough of that. #15 update is out and it sounds interesting to me. Polish and Russian will be added if they reach a certain amount. The ability for players to build their own parties also may be added. Sounds to me as if Obsidian is responding to player requests. I just hope they are careful about what they choose.

Here is the link to the update: Update 15
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 3:22 pm

Quote :
There was even artist I believe who learned to paint with his toes. Have no idea how good it was as I don't remember his name.

You must be thinking of Christy Brown. There are artists who can't use their hands and paint with their feet or even their mouths.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Could be I remember reading about it years ago and it stuck in my mind. It shows the ability of human beings to adapt and to overcome disabilities and weaknesses.

Now I will never be a good singer and there is no way I could take up ballet at my age but with the help of modern technology I can function with poor eyesight. I don't need to go sit in nursing home.

Sometimes we need help it is true. It just annoys me when people want arbitrary limits set on a fantasy character. Limits yes. The game needs balance. My Breton Mage in Oblivion became so powerful at level 12 I had to go into the console and decrease her stats. A little more balance in that game would have helped it a lot.

I just can't see either pushing our moral values or prejudices into a fantasy game.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 5:44 pm

Besides player characters are supposed to be extraordinary character, heroes.

There are examples of larger than life female characters in history -even at times when women weren't supposed to play a major role in society (Hatshepsut, Cleopatra, Boudica, Zenobia, Mavia, Hypatia, Empress Wu, Joan of Arc, Elizabeth I, Catherine the Great, Calamity Jane, Amelia Earhart to name but a few).

My reasoning is that "heroes" shouldn't be limited by social mores.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 6:05 pm

My grandmother may not have gone down in history but back in the earlier part of this century when women were supposed to be in the kitchen and pregnant she was a college graduate, English major. She was a member of the WAACS, forerunner of the WACS and went around the country giving speeches for the war effort. She was a journalist and editor of the women's page for one of the major local newspapers.

My mother bought me books about real life women who had accomplished things. This is why it upsets me when I see anyone, male or female advocating stereotyping especially in a game. It just reinforces the attitude that men are superior to women simply because of physical strength. I thought we had progressed past the cave men days.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 7:10 pm

It's easier to pigeonhole characters instead of making them three dimensional. That's why so many players are keen on min maxing and stat dumping.

I suppose that the very idea of a clever warrior is abhorrent to most players.

Most men are taller and stronger than most women but it doesn't mean that it's true of everyone.

It works both ways. Women are not necessarily more sensitive or more intuitive than guys.

Try carrying around a twelve pound baby everyday, that is some serious working out. Smile
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 8:24 pm

Laughing The problem with generalizations, stereotyping, categorizing is that they are usually false. The minute a game gets into that type of statistic in order to be fair you then have to balance out each gender. Ie: lower the strength on women, then lower the dexterity on men. If this were a 2.5 ed D& D game I would live with it but it isn't and can't be. Hasbro would be them in a flash.

The Romans reported that Germanic Women fought alongside their men. Oh, women have very strong legs (generally speaking) I learned that in a course on self defense. Drop to the ground if attack and fight with you legs. Make your character a female monk (improper term if we are dealing in gender) have drop and kick. Even the male enemy is wearing a cod piece she could do a lot of very painful damage. Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 835223

If done this way women should have lighter armour, Thieves, rogues and assassins should be mainly women. Wizards could be equal and maybe monks and priests. Aha, barbarians should be stronger than humans including barbarian women. New class ciphren I think it is called they use their mind and the mind of others. Shall we get into the male vs female brain? Those studies were done by men and have a lot of loopholes. According to one study I ran across it was at least implied that the bigger the brain the smarter. So that big barbarian is smarter than that wizard. ???

Going by this type of statistical system the developers will end up spending more time on character generation than the game itself.

Thanks for the feedback. If that particular thread or a similar one is still going strong I may make a post.
Back to top Go down
dragoniguana
World Savior
dragoniguana

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 11:49 pm

When the hell did this thread turn from announcing a new Obsidian game to talking about stereotyping Shocked
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 12:28 am

Quote :
According to one study I ran across it was at least implied that the bigger the brain the smarter.

I don't know where you've read that but it's definitely not true. Einstein's brain wasn't particularly big.

Quote :
Oh, women have very strong legs (generally speaking) I learned that in a course on self defense.

It's true of guys too. Kicking is more powerful than punching the only problem most people have with kicks is that they tend to lose balance or don't know how to kick (to be fair most people don't know how to throw a punch).

Quote :
The Romans reported that Germanic Women fought alongside their men.

There are numerous examples of female warriors in history if you care to look for them. I've listed a few female war leaders above.

Quote :
When the hell did this thread turn from announcing a new Obsidian game to talking about stereotyping

Well Nakia is feeling quite strongly about that. Blame the people at the Obsidian forum who keep posting nonsense. Wink

Iirc in Arcanum female characters get a bonus to Constitution and a penalty to Strength. It's only one point so it's not huge but it makes a difference. I'm not advocating that sort of bias but at least this makes some sort of sense as most women are less muscular and smaller than men (strength) but they tend to live longer than men (constitution).

The problem with such modifiers is that they tend to oversimplify things... Stereotypes are not healthy.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 1:13 am

I really liked Arcanum and if they use that model I will be fairly happy. The combat in my opinion could have been better. I played my female character as a thief but she ended up with armour. I have forgotten why.

Mostly I played a male using technology so strength wasn't important. You actually had various backgrounds to choose from that had pluses and minuses. I don't remember how the stats were initially set up.

I was also happy with how Planescape did it. Of course you you only layed TNO. They did have some strong women in the game. I don't mean physically but in personality, in character.

Much as I loved BG I am glad they can't use D & D rules.
With Arcanum I did get a tool that allowed you to modify most of your companions. It wasn't a mod because it didn't modify the game directly. Hokay maybe a tool mod?

Dragon, as Carabas said, Some of the posters on Obsidian really irked me with their nonsense.

The 2.3 stretch goal has been reached but the PayPal people don't seem to be pledging that much. Still very slow going up.
Back to top Go down
dragoniguana
World Savior
dragoniguana

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 1:58 am

Haha, this entire thread has basically gone to talking more about the forums than the game itself Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pillars of Eternity   Pillars of Eternity - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pillars of Eternity
Page 3 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next