Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Titan Quest Immortal Throne
by Sue77 Today at 9:58 am

» Crusaders Kings 2
by Carabas Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:18 am

» Divinity: Original Sin 2
by Carabas Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 pm

» Assassin's Creed Origins
by Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:14 pm

» ChinaDroid review - VKWorld Mix Plus
by BlackZarak Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:40 am

» Why the original Fallout is still my favourite game 13 years later
by Carabas Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:59 pm

» Fallout 4 Mods
by Carabas Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 am

» Fallout: New California/Project Brazil
by Carabas Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:43 am

» XCOM 2 First Impressions
by Carabas Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm

» Mods for Skyrim
by BlackZarak Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:27 am

» Age of Decadence
by Carabas Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:07 pm

» Far Cry 3
by Carabas Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 39 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:37 pm
Statistics
We have 42 registered users
The newest registered user is hellsheep

Our users have posted a total of 25556 messages in 643 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Fallout 1 first play questions...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DanielCoffey
Conjuror

PostSubject: Fallout 1 first play questions...   Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Right... I did promise that there would be questions about Fallout since I have never played the franchise before.

We are talking about the GoG.com version of Fallout 1 plus the Fallout FIXT pack.

1. How do I monitor the health of my Followers?

I have Ian at the moment and have seen him get chewed a couple of times by Rats around Vault 15. How do I know if he needs healing? Or if he is poisoned? Do I just make sure he has some Stimpaks in his inventory or do I have to look after him myself?

2. How common is basic ammo?

Is ammo (10mm, .223) fairly common or is it to be hoarded? Do followers run out of ammo or do they auto-replenish? I have seen some basic ammo on the Merchant in Shady Sands but wondered whether to buy it or not.

3. Where the heck did I get this?

So far I have cleared the Vault 13 tunnels, gone back inside and dealt with the unhappy denizens, picked up some supplies from the vault then headed to Shady Sands. Somewhere between doing that and finishing searching all the bookshelves in Shady Sands I seem to have been given a Hunting Rifle and a Leather Armour. I didn't see them on the right-hand inventory panel of a person or bookshelf so where did I get them from? I am not complaining but...

4. Hit locations...

Where can I find out about the effects of scoring a hit on a targeted hit location? You know... eye, groin (ouch!), leg etc...

Found it : http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Aimed_Shot

5. Food and drink?

I have seen stuff like "Irradiated Fruit" and Water Flasks. Do you need food and drink at all times or only when in hot places like the desert?

6. Skill Books

When I find readable skill books like Scouting Guide and First Aid books do I read them immediately or is the time too precious at the beginning of the game?

There will be more questions to come I am sure, but for now that is all I have thought of.

Last edited by DanielCoffey on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DanielCoffey
Conjuror

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 1 first play questions...   Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Oh yeah, another one...

7. FMJ vs AP Ammo

I have seen in some guides that the AP ammo is bugged and useless. Has that still not been patched yet? If it is patched, when should I use each ammo type?

Google FTW - No, the Ammo Types are not read and AP ammo is useless... damn! Even the guy writing the FIXT pack is stumped... you need to know Assembler to make the necessary changes without just guessing.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 1 first play questions...   Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:55 pm

I have no idea what the Fallout FIXT pack does. In my experience unofficial patches can introduce issues because modders tend to have a tendency to "fix" things that didn't need to be tampered with. I've tried some "restoration" mods before and hit some pretty nasty bugs that put and end to my run so consider this before loading on mods.

If you want to experience the game as it was shipped back then just install the official patch (and maybe the screen resolution fix if it bothers you).

IMO the best way to enjoy a first run is to play the vanilla version of the game (otherwise you may end up blaming the game for an issue that is mod related).

Armour piercing ammo is not so hot. I use it when I don't want to waste regular ammo or I give it to followers when ammo is scarce.

1) You can right click on a follower and use the inspect button to get an estimate of a character's condition (it works on any character and it is a great indication in combat) or you can pick up the awareness perk at level up to get detailed information (if your PE is good enough).

2) NPCs need ammo. Enemy NPCs can run out of ammo as well. Make sure your followers have enough ammo and make sure you don't give them automatic weapons because they can get trigger happy at times and it can be awkward despite being effective at times (neutral NPCs don't take too kindly to being hit by a stray bullet even if it wasn't meant for them -which also works when neutrals are being hit by your foes). Also don't give Ian a knife if you want him to use a gun (Fallout 2 does a better job with NPC followers).

3) Weird, are you sure you didn't pick some of that loot from a locker somewhere (Vault 15 is where you can get a leather jacket early on). The game doesn't give you free items out of nowhere (the overseer can give you some extra stuff if you go and talk to him and you can also pick up some stuff in Vault 13).

4) You can hit the "N" key to switch between aimed fire and regular fire. Basically targeted hits do extra damage and can cripple limbs which means that the target can get knocked down, suffer from crippled limbs and thus lose AP, get penalties to PE or end up being unable of using some weapons and in the worst case scenario of using any weapons. Depending on the difficulty setting this can also happen to your character. Critical hits are worse. I think there is a table somewhere on the net (maybe in the Fallout Bible) but in game information which can be toggled on in the options screen will provide you with details as it happens during the course of the game.

5) Carrying a flask can prevent you from taking dehydration damage (which is a random encounter in fact) but you don't have to worry about drinking and eating. Food is just another means of healing your character.

6) You should be fine reading them. It takes some time but unless you get a huge stack of books to read (which is unlikely unless you've checked a wlakthrough for tips) you won't suffer from wasting a few days.

Last but not least, the most important thing when creating a character is to decide which perks you want to take when your character levels up because contrary to FNV the original Fallout is much less forgiving.

DanielCoffey
Conjuror

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 1 first play questions...   Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Thanks for the thorough reply.

I found out were the hunting rifle and armour came from... it is a broken quest from the Restored Content patch where deleted quests were added back in... the Elder in Shady Sands asks you to go kill Radscorpions but gives you the reward before you actually go do the work. The FIXT team have just been notified about it since the Restored Content is part of the FIXT pack.

I am having great fun with the game so far... still learning the keyboard shortcuts. I didn't play this evening cos I was too tired but I had fun reading the Fallout Bible - the timeline in it is very interesting.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 1 first play questions...   Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Don't be afraid to experiment and remember that stray bullets and explosives can be fun too. Wink

DanielCoffey
Conjuror

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 1 first play questions...   Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:17 pm

Yeah... Ian gave me a quick lesson on stray bullets... well, two of them actually. I was between him and a rat and he put both shots into my butt!

Same area I missed a rat and got the one behind it... fun times!
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 1 first play questions...   Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:31 pm

And this is only the beginning... Wink

Don't abuse some of these tricks but in Fallout 1:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

These are just random ideas that work pretty nicely and can be fun to try out.

DanielCoffey
Conjuror

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 1 first play questions...   Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:51 pm

OK... next questions...

1. Where do you store stuff safely?

I found the LE BB Gun from the Used Car guy in the wilderness and I don't know if I should use it myself, keep it for a future companion or sell it. I am using a Hunting Rifle at the moment but have more BB ammo than .223

2. Where do companions go it you dismiss them? Can you ever get them back if you do so?

Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 1 first play questions...   Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:07 pm

You can store items anywhere. You can just drop them on the ground, although using a container makes it easier to find things. I usually just pick a bookshelf in the Hub and use that.

Companions will just stay put where they are standing when you dismiss them, and you can have them join again later. Dogmeat is the one exception, as you can't make him wait in the vanilla game.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 1 first play questions...   Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Just make sure you don't drop stuff in an area that may get crowded with corpses or somewhere you won't be able to actually pick the item. Be careful also about random locations that you can't go back to.

Using an existing container is an easy way to deal with that especially if it doesn't belong to an NPC.

You can give your followers extra luggage and keep the more useful stuff for your character.

Don't forget that you can steal (shortcut key "3") from your followers without them turning on you.

Last but not least don't give special items to followers because they can drop them in the middle of a fight and then forget to pick them up meaning that these items can be lost forever.

So I'd keep the special Red Ryder BB Gun for the main character. You should find some extra ammo for this gun in Shady Sands. It is a pretty good weapon and does more damage than a hunting rifle.

Ian should be fine with a Desert Eagle or another powerful handgun (maybe an automatic weapon if you have some good armour and you are feeling lucky).

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 1 first play questions...   

Back to top Go down

Fallout 1 first play questions...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Belle Sakura Saloon :: The Gaming House :: The Lonesome Cowboys :: The Atomic Pistoleros-
Jump to: