Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Titan Quest Immortal Throne
by Carabas Yesterday at 8:48 pm

» Crusaders Kings 2
by Carabas Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:18 am

» Divinity: Original Sin 2
by Carabas Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 pm

» Assassin's Creed Origins
by Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:14 pm

» ChinaDroid review - VKWorld Mix Plus
by BlackZarak Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:40 am

» Why the original Fallout is still my favourite game 13 years later
by Carabas Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:59 pm

» Fallout 4 Mods
by Carabas Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 am

» Fallout: New California/Project Brazil
by Carabas Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:43 am

» XCOM 2 First Impressions
by Carabas Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm

» Mods for Skyrim
by BlackZarak Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:27 am

» Age of Decadence
by Carabas Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:07 pm

» Far Cry 3
by Carabas Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 39 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:37 pm
Statistics
We have 42 registered users
The newest registered user is hellsheep

Our users have posted a total of 25555 messages in 643 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Nakia's Babblings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor

PostNakia's Babblings

Hi y'all,

This will just be a rambling blog where I post up what ever is on my mind. Similar to a status report. You know "the weather is terrible". Whatever is on my mind...

Last edited by Nakia the Rogue on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.forums-dragoncaptions.com/index.php
Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Nakia's Babblings :: Comments

Re: Nakia's Babblings
Post on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:15 am by analog_relic
As fate would have it, my wife watched a tv show about opal mining in oz when she was a kid. Wanted to come here all her life and made it at 30. Ten years later and she is even more aussie now, just has a funny accent!

You are right about devs and oz. But it is even sadder when they try and use aussie characters because they only sound like americans trying to sound like us, or even worse they use british cockney accents! The aboriginal mythos is ripe for a fantasy/steampunk/sci-fi game. The protagonist could use some sort of quantum mech and mental discipline to swap between now and the dreamtime. The possibilities are amazing. But we have a population of 22 million in a country about the same size as north america, so the market forces come into play and games are set anywhere other than here. Mayhap this is the right site for the right people to come together and change this? Frustated Author AR.
Post on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:49 am by Nakia the Rogue
Hokay, this is just a friendly little suggestion, no pushing you into the abysis, well maybe a little nudge? Why don't you start your own Blog and let us see what might come of that. We have talented people here the big problem is 1_ getting them focused and 2) getting the software and possibly hardware needed to make a game.

Nudge...
Post on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:18 pm by Sue77
Get writing/creating AR - I love the idea of a fantasy/steampunk/sci-fi game. The first game I ever played was Septerra Core, which fits that game description.

It's time for something that breaks boundaries and I suspect your ideas would do that. It's also time for a fresh approach, something different and I believe you could achieve that.

Shame my Aussie accent is currently non-existant, but give me an example of how you speak and I'll practice!

cat

Post on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:40 pm by Nakia the Rogue
Yahoo! That's the spirit, Sue. She is right, analog, give us a sample of proper Aussie accent. I have been told by one that I almost pronounce Australia correctly. I am also sure Mr. K would love to try and learn how to do an Aussie accent. Wonder how a Texas twang would translate to Aussie.

The biggest problem with our USA developers, movie makers etc is they start with "Standard" American pronunciation and go from there. Standard is a made up accent.

Nakia nudges analog towards the VA practice area.
Post on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:24 pm by Nakia the Rogue
Changing the subject. I ran across this on Google+. This picture proves nothing but that man made substances can get much hotter than surrounding areas. To me it does show that humans need to take responsibility for their actions but that has always been true. My moral here is please do not use this picture to prove something that is very complicated. It is just an interesting photograph.
Spoiler:

Post on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:06 pm by Mr. K
Hi Nakia;

Spoiler:

Yes, lets get some recordings of members that have an accent for their region. It would be fun. Nakia, start a new Topic in the VAs section.

Mr. K

Post on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:26 pm by Nakia the Rogue
Yep, Mr. K, that is why I made sure to post a disclaimer about the article. It proves absolutely nothing as other so called facts or statistics I have seen posted prove nothing and a little reading would have shown that. Everything affects the ecology (is that the word I want) sheep grazing in a pasture, forest fire no matter how started, cars, walking across the tundra, etc.

I will post something in the VA practice area. Just give a little time to think about it.
Post on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:21 am by Nakia the Rogue
2012 was a year of coming to terms with myself. A year when with help I began getting my life back together and rebuilding. It was a year of house cleaning both in actual fact and in mental and emotional cleansing. Medication for my diabetic condition is working well and with diet that is under control

Now I turn to 2013 is another year that brings memories and reminiscences. June of 2013 is the tenth anniversary of my joining a game forum known as boards O Magic. Until then I had used the Internet simply as a place to get information and had not actual met or become friendly with the people who inhabit the World Wide Web. I became active in the community and met a lot of people mostly nice. Learned about their world, their customs, culture, joys and sadness. Discover how much alike we are. We are one people, one race, one world. As Teilhard de Chardin expressed it we sail through space and time on the ship we call Earth.

In that ten years I have had many experiences both good and bad, Online and Offline. I sit here reaching out to others through the media of my computer and the hosting of my Internet Provider to others who I now call friends. I have lost most of my Offline family but have gained a wonderful new family Online. I feel close to them, worry about them when I don't from them or about them for even a few days. I know that when I have something nice happen or find something fun I can share with them and they will be glad for me. I know when I am sad or hurt they will send me their love and caring thoughts. I know when I have a problem I can talk it out with them. They are real not just pixels on my screen. They are important to me as human beings.
Post on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:37 pm by analog_relic
The main problem with my aussie accent is that pomy friends here tell me my accent is more english than most poms! But, I will accept the nudge. Just give me a week or so as I am in the middle of home renovations and a roof over your head is the most important factor in my life right now.

And if anyone steals my idea, I will send a certain rogue after you.

AR the frustrated author!
Post on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:00 pm by Nakia the Rogue
Very Happy No problem about recording. You mean you do not sound like Crocodile Dundee? Crying or Very sad Actually Carabas does not sound like Maurice Chevalier.

Mr. K has told me to start a thread to get people to record their natural accents. I will be doing that in the next day or two so your timing is perfect.
Post on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:40 pm by Nakia the Rogue
Pictures taken during our snow storm. A very fine moist snow is falling which makes the pictures hazy.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Post on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:35 pm by Nakia the Rogue
I am playing around with Paint.Net trying to make signatures and posters. Came up with this one.
[img][/img]

Not perfect. I can't get the blending correct.
Post on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:54 pm by Lndf117
It snowed where i live yesterday, i didn't get any pictures though.
Post on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:06 pm by Mr. K
Hi Snow People;

It snows here in SE Texas every now and then. The biggest snow event I ever actually saw myself, was the Blizzard of 1973. We got about 3 inches of snow in an hour or two. It shutdown all the traffic, and closed schools and businesses. Without any kind of snow removal equipment, Houston was paralyzed, for that day, and most of the next. Snow was on the ground for 4 or 5 days. I had seen news about Blizzards before, and I didn't think our Blizzard was much of a Blizzard, but everybody that had moved to Houston from places that had a lot of snow said it was a Blizzard, because of the high wind, and how fast it came down.

Is it Summer yet?

Mr. K
Post on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:12 pm by Carabas
The problem here is that we've gone soft. When I was a kid we used to get real snow and people didn't make such a big deal out of it. I grew up near the mountains and we used to have four to five feet of snow and it was normal. Nowadays we get a few inches and people start freaking out. It's nonsense.
Post on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:39 pm by Nakia the Rogue
All depends on where you live. We never had a snow day in Anchorage Alaska while I was there. Some children might miss a day of school because there parents had to shovel out long drive ways. Roads and strees were cleared quickly but with big mounds of snow down the center of the street. Fender Benders were frequent. White outs where common and small plane flying was hazardous.

Blizzards do come with high winds otherwise it is just a heavy snow.

Nakia
Post on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:50 am by Nakia the Rogue
All this discussion of references in Fallout 2 reminds of when mountain people were considered to have below average IQs because they couldn't score well on the standard IQ test. I also remember when I took my first IQ test a rather generic one. I scored very high on it simply because of the education I had gotten at home. The test had a lot of literry references on it and coming from a family that had many of the classical literary works at home I was familiar with them. Other students that were as smart or smarter than I was did not do so well.

How well would the modern urban dweller do if set down in the Amazon Jungle with only a machete and told to survive? Wouldn't a native of that region find them rather stupid?
Post on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:08 am by Nakia the Rogue
This is a controversial quote and I am not sure how much I agree or disagree with it. The issue is not as simple and uncomplicated as it may first seem. Heinlein also stated that he wrote to make money.
Post on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:07 pm by Mr. K
Nakia the Rogue wrote:
How well would the modern urban dweller do if set down in the Amazon Jungle with only a machete and told to survive? Wouldn't a native of that region find them rather stupid?
If that modern urban dweller is very lucky, they will live long enough to starve to death. We modern urban dwellers are so dependent on technology invented in the last 50 years, that we would be hard pressed to survive if the electrical power was all shut down. In about a week the food would be running out, and finding enough land in the city to dig outhouses, would start to drive people out of the cities, in a few days. Add a good blizzard, and just about everybody would be in trouble.

We could go all day talking about this idea...

Mr. K
Post on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:43 pm by Nakia the Rogue
We do tend to make judgements and assumptions based on our own culture and experience. "Everyone knows that." Not true. Everyone in my vicinity may know something but take them out of their normal environment and they will be lost. There is an Native American saying. "Do not judge a warrior until you have walked a mile in his moccasins." Human beings do have the ability to learn and to adapt if they have enough time.

"Judge not lest ye be judged for as ye judge so shall ye be judged."
Post on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:57 pm by Carabas
Nakia the Rogue wrote:
This is a controversial quote and I am not sure how much I agree or disagree with it. The issue is not as simple and uncomplicated as it may first seem. Heinlein also stated that he wrote to make money.

That's a pretty nasty quote. If everyone is packing then it means there is no rule of law and whoever is packing the biggest gun/carrying the biggest stick ends up being "right" -that's pretty much the opposite of what being civilized is about (not that there isn't some truth to the old saying that might makes right or that victors end up writing history books but that is a very cynical of the world).

That quote also suggests that respect is derived from fear, i.e. fear for your own safety. Being polite has nothing to do with being fearful or being threatened with bodily harm. What is advocated is brutal, mindless violence.

I for one do believe that education is more effective than guns.
Post on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:29 pm by Nakia the Rogue
I agree that education is much better than guns especially when the guns are in the hands of those who have not been educated to use them and have no idea what guns can do.

I do understand where our founding fathers were coming from when the wrote our 2 nd and controversial Amendment. They feared the power of invasion by a stronger force and had no large standing army. The country would need to call on the civilians to form an army. The nation was new and struggling to establish itself in a land that to those of European background was hostile and filled with enemies both animal and human. They had no way of seeing into the future and knowing what the world would be like over two hundred years later.
Post on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:13 am by Carabas
Guns are just like sticks and clubs only deadlier because they have a longer range and don't require much strength or training to accomplish their purpose. They are primitive tools for primitive people. They don't solve anything.

I've got a better quote for you: "the pen is mightier than the sword".

Knowledge and education are better and more effective than any sort of weaponry. Unfortunately most people can't see the truth in that.
Post on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:27 pm by Nakia the Rogue
There are moments that stick vividly in one's mind. I don't know the year and am not certain of the parade but I think it was a Coumbus' Day Parade. It was in Manhattan (New York city). My cousin had gone to watch it as it neared the end. I remember nothing about the parade except when the Soviet soldiers appeared. It was the first time they had appeared in the USA. I have no idea what kind of reception they expect but the crowd watching was cheering. Some people had roses and tried to cast them in the street. The police were not happy about that as they probably feared there would be some idiot would cast something not so beneveolent but a few roses did fall at the marching soldiers feet.

You young people who did not live through the cold war will not understand but as I write this I have tears running down my face. It was over, the years of fear, the years of drills, the building of bunkers.

Perhaps it is because I am playing Fallout New Vegas that this comes so vividly to mind. It could have happened. Fallout could be real and not a fantasy game.
Post on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:52 pm by Carabas
Fallout could still happen. The war in Fallout is actually between China and the US...

I was a kid but I distinctly remember the Fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. There are moments that are meant to remain etched in memory.
Post  by Sponsored content

Nakia's Babblings

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 

Page 3 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Belle Sakura Saloon :: From Zane Grey's Desk :: The Belle Sakura Saloon Blog Thingy-
Jump to: