Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Divinity: Original Sin 2
by Carabas Yesterday at 3:41 pm

» Fallout 4 Mods
by Carabas Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 am

» Fallout: New California/Project Brazil
by Carabas Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:43 am

» XCOM 2 First Impressions
by Carabas Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm

» Crusaders Kings 2
by Carabas Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:34 pm

» Mods for Skyrim
by BlackZarak Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:27 am

» Age of Decadence
by Carabas Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:07 pm

» Far Cry 3
by Carabas Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:39 pm

» Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom
by Carabas Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm

» Rise of the Argonauts
by Carabas Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:37 pm

» The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians
by Carabas Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:53 am

» Carmageddon Max Damage
by Carabas Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:35 am

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 39 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:37 pm
Statistics
We have 41 registered users
The newest registered user is kaay

Our users have posted a total of 25352 messages in 641 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Film Review: Life of Pi

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer

PostSubject: Film Review: Life of Pi   Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:02 pm

Life of Pi begins with the central character being asked to tell his tale to a writer looking for a story to base a second book on. As Pi begins to speak, the gentle, present day storytelling is interspersed with what amounts to visual memories of events and conversation, much of which is humorous. Pi is an intradiegetic narrator, guiding us verbally through the events that take place on the screen before us. These multifarious techniques merge beautifully and the viewer is first drawn into Pi's story, then swept along as the tale develops into the main core of the narrative - Pi's survival at sea with a Bengal Tiger. Before this point is reached, it has been established just how dangerous the tiger is, using the vehicle of a Fatherly lesson. Plus, we are told, animals have no soul. This has a bearing on Pi's emerging story as there is a focus on how he finds God in all manner of places and religions.

Although it has moments of tension and high octane action, the majority of the film takes place at a leisurely pace. This is not to say the film becomes slow and your attention span starts to wander, but for me some of the sections of wonderment could have been trimmed as they were overly reliant on CGI. One other factor, which I found frustrating, was how Pi's words were lost when he was shouting against a backdrop of storms and sea surges.

However, Life of Pi is an interesting film from a number of perspectives. The fantastical tale woven by Pi of his life on the ocean in the company of a Bengal Tiger works simply as just that - a fantastical tale. Much of the cinematography and CGI functions to underpin this, giving the fantasy an immediacy and stunning visual elements which remain with the viewer long after leaving the cinema. It is also a tale of faith and belief, the notion of being a vessel that is swept along by the will of God, with acceptance of the outcome. Then it is a tale of surmounting trials and tribulations, of survival in extreme circumstances. A frequently used shot-reverse-shot technique between Pi's eyes and that of the tiger, assists with depicting how understanding develops between man and beast.

But the best part of the film is undeniably the reverse dénouement which occurs towards the end. This made the film for me. Those that have read the book will know exactly what I'm talking about. Because of this, if you want to enjoy the film, it might be an idea to read the book afterwards.

Last edited by Sue77 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.wabbit.co.uk
Trip
Psycho Princess

PostSubject: Re: Film Review: Life of Pi   Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:07 pm

That's one of my favourite books! I just don't want to have to watch it in 3D and I don't know if any of local cinemas are showing it without 3D

And the Lord said to John "Come forth and receive eternal life" but John came fifth and won a toaster

Carabas said I'm adorable and he's the boss so you all have to listen!
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer

PostSubject: Re: Film Review: Life of Pi   Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Our local cinema showed it in both 2 and 3D. I caught it on the last day and had to see it in 3D despite not being a 3D fan. It's fine in 3D apart from I got motion sickness on the sea!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.wabbit.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Film Review: Life of Pi   

Back to top Go down

Film Review: Life of Pi
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Belle Sakura Saloon :: The Saloon :: The Silver Screen-
Jump to: