Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Video Card Update

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

Video Card Update Empty
PostSubject: Video Card Update   Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 3:39 pm

I had this topic up elsewhere but will have to ask again. I want to update my video card. I have the following: AMD Radeon HD 6570, Windows 7, 64 bit. It should be under 9 inches. about 20 CM? to fit the tower.

I like the Radeon card. Really do not want to pay over $200 USDs for it.
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

Video Card Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Video Card Update   Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 4:54 pm

I remember this Smile

I suggested you look for a Radeon 5970 which is an older card but, according to Chillblast, remains a really good spec. The only card I would change mine for is a 7970, but the upgrade wouldn't give me a great deal more than I have now.
Back to top Go down
ygfbv
Visitor
ygfbv

Video Card Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Video Card Update   Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 6:02 pm

Sue77 wrote:
I remember this Smile

I suggested you look for a Radeon 5970 which is an older card but, according to Chillblast, remains a really good spec. The only card I would change mine for is a 7970, but the upgrade wouldn't give me a great deal more than I have now.

Uh, the 5970 is huge - over a foot long, actually. She'd need a new case (and in all likelihood, a new PSU) if she grabbed one...

Not something I'd recommend either -- crossfire setups (the 5970 is a dual GPU card, that's part of why it's a foot long) tend to have pretty bad microstutter and quirky driver issues.

baaack on topic: because of your case being small, the biggest/most powerful card you could fit in (at your price range and size restrictions) would probably be a 7770 - they tend to run a hair under nine inches and should be able to play most games, though it certainly won't max newer things. what PSU (power supply) do you have? that's always a factor with upgrades.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

Video Card Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Video Card Update   Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Where do I find the info for the PSU?

Thanks, Josh. Another question. I am not crazy about NVIDIA but would I be able to do better if I switched to a NVIDIA card? I would like to get the best possible deal.
Back to top Go down
ygfbv
Visitor
ygfbv

Video Card Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Video Card Update   Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 8:49 pm

Nakia the Rogue wrote:
Where do I find the info for the PSU?

Thanks, Josh. Another question. I am not crazy about NVIDIA but would I be able to do better if I switched to a NVIDIA card? I would like to get the best possible deal.

It'd be the little box in the bottom (or top) of your case - big, rectangular and usually grey. It'll have a sticker on it with its model and specifications (here's an example of a power supply - the sticker location is usually on the side)

No point in showing brand loyalty with computer components; if you find an nVidia card that meets your requirements in regards to size and power, go for it -- the best sites to check reviews of cards are TechPowerUp, Guru3d and HardOCP usually.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

Video Card Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Video Card Update   Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Thanks, Josh, much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

Video Card Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Video Card Update   Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 am

This may help with your decision. I've been told by Martin at Chillblast he is now recommending Nvidia graphics cards as they have half the failure rate of Radeon. 3-4% as against 7-9%.

cat
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

Video Card Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Video Card Update   Video Card Update I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 9:11 am

Video Card Update 908882 Sue, I will also check with Best Buy and see what they recommend. I have a local store and they have an excellent reputation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Video Card Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: Video Card Update   Video Card Update I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Video Card Update
Page 1 of 1