Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Divinity: Original Sin 2
by Carabas Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:55 pm

» Fallout 4 Mods
by Carabas Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 am

» Fallout: New California/Project Brazil
by Carabas Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:43 am

» XCOM 2 First Impressions
by Carabas Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm

» Crusaders Kings 2
by Carabas Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:34 pm

» Mods for Skyrim
by BlackZarak Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:27 am

» Age of Decadence
by Carabas Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:07 pm

» Far Cry 3
by Carabas Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:39 pm

» Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom
by Carabas Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm

» Rise of the Argonauts
by Carabas Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:37 pm

» The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians
by Carabas Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:53 am

» Carmageddon Max Damage
by Carabas Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:35 am

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 39 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:37 pm
Statistics
We have 41 registered users
The newest registered user is kaay

Our users have posted a total of 25362 messages in 641 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Should you Pre Order Games?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor

PostSubject: Should you Pre Order Games?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:34 am

Here is a video discussing pre ordering games.

Based on my experience my opinion is ; no do not pre order games. I have been disappointed with every game that I pre ordered. Caesar IV, Skyrim, Dragon Age Origins. I have gotten my money's worth from Skyrim and DAO but will not pre order any more games or DLCs.

I think this video is very good and tells it like it is.

Sue77
Enlightened Viewer

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:28 pm

I have never pre-ordered a game. I prefer to wait, read the reviews, watch the videos and see what problems/bugs the game has. Once the dust has settled, I tend to wait a little longer and put it on my wishlist if I am still interested. It doesn't take long for the price of most games to dramatically reduce.

The only time I make an exception to this is around my birthday and Christmas when Rob and friends are wondering what to gift me. I'll still do my utmost to make sure it's a good deal tho'.

cat

Back to top Go down
http://www.wabbit.co.uk
Lndf117
Spam Watch Sheriff

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:30 pm

I have already seen that video but that is probably because i subscribe to the guy that created it.
I pre-order games very rarely, mostly halo games which haven't disappointed me so far. Most games i prefer to wait and get it later if i still want it. I did pre-order Crysis 3 and it came with crysis 2 and crysis 1. So far other than the fact that i have to play it on my dad's laptop until i get a new video card.
Back to top Go down
Chris-919
Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:16 pm

To be honest its only worth preordering when theres extras with it for free. As in exclusive DLC or another game as a bundle etc.
I preordered Dragonborn only because I wanted to play it right away. I may preorder Rome Total War 2 when its nearer release day but on the whole I don't bother. Theres nothing more irritating on Steam to pay full price for a game and then discover that its on a Weekend Exclusive 50% off a week later or 75% off in a sale a month or two later. I mainly only ever buy my Steam games in their sales now. I was after Deadlight for a while but I was not going to pay £18 for it so I waited for a couple of months and picked it up for £4.99.
Back to top Go down
http://shadowness.com/Chris-919
Lndf117
Spam Watch Sheriff

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:36 pm

I pre-ordered dragonborn because i knew i was going to get it anyway so i figured might as well pre-order it.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:18 pm

Pre-ordering a game is like buying a cat in a bag. It makes no sense. This guy puts it very eloquently (although he repeats himself quite a bit).

Gaming companies have introduced these schemes so they can push bonuses and day one DLC and convince customers that they are making a good deal when it's just another marketing trick.

The bonus stuff that comes with preorders is meant to appeal to the consumer in each of us. If gamers weren't so immature that simply wouldn't work. Most gamers are like kids in the schoolyard.

We have a say when it comes to spending money on games. As long as they can get away with that crap they would be crazy not to keep on doing the same thing over and over...

RYUchan
Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:22 pm

Being greedy about buying games in the first place, I never pre-order. A game is an entertainment product and a wise person I think should know what kind of a product he is buying. Nowadays the only method of knowing the quality of a game is to read reviews and watch let's plays. Trailers teasers and other things just don't do the job. Diablo III is the best example, Diablo 1 made a revolution in actionRPG genre at its time, Diablo 2+LoD was a perfect sequel, I replayed it like 15 times if not more and of course I was anticipating the third game but after I read about it and saw people's opinions I thought I won't buy it. I tried this game at my friends and I was right 100% this game is a disaster. Metacritics users score is just right about it, no matter the hype and all that it is 3.8/10

So no I would not recommend buying a game even if it is a well known brand and you've enjoyed the previous installment in the series.
Back to top Go down
Trip
Psycho Princess

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:34 pm

I wait until they've been out a while and then, generally, buy a second hand copy. Much cheaper! Plus most of the patches/bug-fixes have been released by then Very Happy

And the Lord said to John "Come forth and receive eternal life" but John came fifth and won a toaster

Carabas said I'm adorable and he's the boss so you all have to listen!
Back to top Go down
RYUchan
Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:13 am

Silvery wrote:
I wait until they've been out a while and then, generally, buy a second hand copy. Much cheaper! Plus most of the patches/bug-fixes have been released by then Very Happy
Yeah way to go Smile

I love modern developers tendency to rush a release and then make a load of patches. Like with Fallen Enchantress where in 1.0 version was many game breaking buts. The other nice tendency is to release a beta test but name it the final release. Like it was with S.T.A.L.K.E.R, it is buggy even now but you won't believe how horrible it was in a Russian release which came before international.
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:31 am

I pre-ordered Torchlight II on Steam because they were giving people who pre-ordered it a copy of Torchlight 1 for free. So, I got two games for the price of one. I've also pre-ordered a few MMOs to get early access.
Back to top Go down
Chris-919
Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:46 am

RYUchan wrote:

Like it was with S.T.A.L.K.E.R, it is buggy even now but you won't believe how horrible it was in a Russian release which came before international.

The thing about Stalker is that it was originally supposed to be one massive game but was in development for so long that they ended up splitting it into three titles. Still a great game despite the bugs, well the first and the third one. I thnk Russians make the best post holocaust games. Very Happy Metro 2033 was good too but that was also buggy.

Actually come to think of it, RAGE was another rushed, buggy release. I even had to go to AMD to download a Radeon compatibility patch just to play the game. Fallout New Vegas too, very buggy, in the first version the HDR lighting was broke. Although that was probably down to Bethesda/Zenimax rushing it out the door.

Kana: Love Torchlight 1 and 2. Smile
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:50 am

@Chris-919: I think you mean post apocalyptic games because the Holocaust is something else entirely.

Nakia the Rogue
Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:34 am

He isn't completely wrong.
Holocaust
noun
1.a great or complete devastation or destruction, especially by fire.
2.a sacrifice completely consumed by fire; burnt offering.
3.( usually initial capital letter ) the systematic mass slaughter of European Jews in Nazi concentration camps during World War II (usually preceded by the ).
4.any mass slaughter or reckless destruction of life.
Apocalypse
1.( initial capital letter ) revelation ( def 4 ) .
2.any of a class of Jewish or Christian writings that appeared from about 200 b.c. to a.d. 350 and were assumed to make revelations of the ultimate divine purpose.
3.a prophetic revelation, especially concerning a cataclysm in which the forces of good permanently triumph over the forces of evil.
4.any revelation or prophecy.
5.any universal or widespread destruction or disaster: the apocalypse of nuclear war.

I think either word might be correct.

Triactus
Emperor

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:19 am

I usually buy the games after a while, when the store prices come down a bit. The only game I ever pre ordered was the Baldur's Gate II Collector's edition (I believe they had limited copies).

Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Nakia the Rogue wrote:
He isn't completely wrong.
Holocaust
noun
1.a great or complete devastation or destruction, especially by fire.
2.a sacrifice completely consumed by fire; burnt offering.
3.( usually initial capital letter ) the systematic mass slaughter of European Jews in Nazi concentration camps during World War II (usually preceded by the ).
4.any mass slaughter or reckless destruction of life.
Apocalypse
1.( initial capital letter ) revelation ( def 4 ) .
2.any of a class of Jewish or Christian writings that appeared from about 200 b.c. to a.d. 350 and were assumed to make revelations of the ultimate divine purpose.
3.a prophetic revelation, especially concerning a cataclysm in which the forces of good permanently triumph over the forces of evil.
4.any revelation or prophecy.
5.any universal or widespread destruction or disaster: the apocalypse of nuclear war.

I think either word might be correct.

The term Holocaust does indeed mean sacrifice and burnt offering but it will forever be associated with the Shoah.

In the context of nuclear war it would be more appropriate to use the term nuclear holocaust or atomic holocaust (and I'm not just nitpicking or being PC here).

The term post apocalypse doesn't have the same connotation. It's also commonly used to refer to a dystopian genre of science fiction.

Chris-919
Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Carabas: Oh seriously you have to be joking. I think its pretty obvious to most people that Post Holocaust implies an extinction level event. If I was talking about WW2, Nazis and the Jewish Holocaust I would have said so. Mad Max type movies and games are commonly referenced to as post holocaust since they are usually set after a fictional WW3 event, they may also be refered as as being considered post apocalyptic in nature. At least they were before people started waving PC paintbrushes and revising terminology left, right and centre. For goodness sake even a show in the 1980s such as Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, the breakdown of society due to war and widespread anarchy is referred to by the survivors as "the holocaust". As is the destruction of the Thirteen Colonies in Battlestar Galactica.

You also can't really bundle Dystopian with Post Apocalyptic as you pointed out because not all Dystopian scifi references any form of mass destruction. Dystopian commonly refers to a disfunctional society which can be due to many causes such as overcrowding, pollution or an ineffective or even totalitarian government. The term holocaust implies massive loss of life in most cases due to war, resulting in "post holocaust" survivors. I didn't link it to something as unpleasant as Nazism you did in the way you're being rather leading with your PC response.

If you want to jump over my logical terminology for the sake of being politically correct then you go right ahead. I implied nothing unpleasant in my reference so take it completely out of context by all means. Oh and for the record I think you actually are nitpicking and I'll keep my opinion to myself in the future if this is the result.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:03 pm

Chris-919 wrote:
Carabas: Oh seriously you have to be joking. I think its pretty obvious to most people that Post Holocaust implies an extinction level event. If I was talking about WW2, Nazis and the Jewish Holocaust I would have said so. Mad Max type movies and games are commonly referenced to as post holocaust since they are usually set after a fictional WW3 event, they may also be refered as as being considered post apocalyptic in nature. At least they were before people started waving PC paintbrushes and revising terminology left, right and centre. For goodness sake even a show in the 1980s such as Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, the breakdown of society due to war and widespread anarchy is referred to by the survivors as "the holocaust". As is the destruction of the Thirteen Colonies in Battlestar Galactica.

You also can't really bundle Dystopian with Post Apocalyptic as you pointed out because not all Dystopian scifi references any form of mass destruction. Dystopian commonly refers to a disfunctional society which can be due to many causes such as overcrowding, pollution or an ineffective or even totalitarian government. The term holocaust implies massive loss of life in most cases due to war, resulting in "post holocaust" survivors. I didn't link it to something as unpleasant as Nazism you did in the way you're being rather leading with your PC response.

If you want to jump over my logical terminology for the sake of being politically correct then you go right ahead. I implied nothing unpleasant in my reference so take it completely out of context by all means. Oh and for the record I think you actually are nitpicking and I'll keep my opinion to myself in the future if this is the result.

For the record I said "a dystopian genre of science fiction" I'm not saying anything dystopian is necessarily post apocalyptic, I'm saying post apocalyptic science fiction is dystopian (for obvious reasons).

As far as being PC, I'm not the one linking the word Holocaust with Nazism: the mass murder of millions of human beings made sure of that.

And I'm talking about historical facts and not Buck Rogers or Battlestar Galactica.

If according to you that's being PC then so be it; but as far as I'm concerned I don't think it's such a bad thing to be able to tell the difference between science fiction and real events.

So let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.

simfamSP
Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:50 pm

The only game I've pre-ordered was the Witcher 2. I'm glad to say I was not disappointed. As for other games? No, I don't think you should. Games and companies are very unpredictable, they can make an amazing game one moment, then screw up on the next. When making pre-orders you should hold yourself responsible for taking the risk (of course, the devs are to blame for the flaws/faults of the game, but citing your criticism over a pre-order was your responsibility, not the developers.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/simfamSP?feature=mhum#p/c/D00A751812
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should you Pre Order Games?   

Back to top Go down

Should you Pre Order Games?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Belle Sakura Saloon :: The Gaming House :: The Hole in the Wall-
Jump to: