Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Crusaders Kings 2

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 5:08 pm

From what I've played it's a good dlc. The problem seems to be that some people don't like it because it makes the game much harder. You will find it's much harder to paint the map and making sure your vassals fall in line has become a much more convoluted affair. Bribing people to gain favours, blackmailing them and cajoling them can be fun. It does work well with Way of Life.

Here is a good review (in French).

http://www.wargamer.fr/test-de-crusader-kings-ii-conclave/
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 7:57 pm

Damn, I decided to continue my viking game in CK2 and I got hit hard by the defensive pacts. That screwed up all my planning. Threat level decreases in time, but boy, you blink and the threat level increases. Sad

So, when I last played my game, Sveinn, my current ruler, had inherited the kingdom of Norway, as well as a few Scottish and Irish counties from his father. Sveinn furthered the choke hold on Ireland by acquiring a few provinces (they are all independent).

I also had reached the maximum number of vassals, so I had to do a little cleaning. I liked to keep vassals weak, so I had few jarls (dukes) and many chiefs (counts), so I created three jarldoms, one of which I gave to Sveinn's childhood friend. He would have at least one staunch ally. I also gave single titled chiefs to certain jarls, so it would diminish my number of direct vassals and augment the love between those jarls and Sveinn. Those chiefs included the annoying vassals that kept forming factions, of course. Wink They are someone else's problem now. I was also very careful in choosing the counties I gave to my jarls. I made sure they were very far from their base of power (like giving a Swedish vassal to the Iceland jarl). The idea is that if they rise up against me, then their force is split and surrounded. And by splitting up de jure jarldoms, the vassals might be more busy plotting against each other to unify their territories than plotting against me.

I was looking where to expand. There was opportunity in Sweden and Denmark. There was am independent jarl that had a claimant I could invite to my court. But they were allied with the Jorkvik kingdom (9 counties in northern England). Then I got thinking, I'll have to fight Jorvik in any event and it is a big piece towards my Britain empire. And since it's not catholic, I'm much more limited than the rest of Britain, which I can attack at my heart's leisure. I decided what the heck and declared a once in a lifetime subjugation war on Jorkvik. It also helped that the kingdom was already well underway in a war with a bordering kingdom, in which it didn't seem to be winning.

So Sveinn called his vassals and embarked on an adventure.... which lasted YEARS. I had to besiege so many o the counties and cities. But I got a very big surprise during the war. Sveinn kicked the bucket out of severe stress. The elected heir, Sveinn's cousin, Podr, took over. Surprisingly, he has the same diplomacy rating (north of 20), but is better in Martial (around 11). What sucked is not every titles followed (thank you gravelkind!). Sveinn's only (underage) son inherited the Irish and Dane counties as well as a Norwegian jarldom I had and some f**king how, the title of Ireland (as in the Kingdom of) was automatically created and he became independent. WTF! I had enough counties to create it, but I was waiting until I could create the British empire, since your vassals don't like it when you have too many equal rank titles. What really pisses me off though is why does the game create it automatically? I held the rest of the Irish counties so he wouldn't be able to create it. And I'm not even talking about the amount of piety and gold it takes to create a title of that magnitude. So what, I have to recover the title and destroy it, until the next succession where it gets created again? Mad

Fortunately, the war for Jorkvik wasn't cut short by Sveinn's death and I was able to subjugate the king (now a jarl). The bonus thing is that with the subjugation comes a +40 in the vassal relationship, so he's actually okay with everything. The rest however, demanded work. A lot of bribes and honorary titles had to be handed out. But it seemed everyone tolerated me, at least. Then, with the subjugation of Jorkvik and the threat level that came with it (which was new in my game), came the wave of defensive pacts. ALL of the bordering Catholics (and than some) banded together and all the bordering independent Norse banded together as well, including a very powerful Swedish jarl. Bleh.

At least, Sveinn's son (a catholic, no less) isn't faring well. The jarldom he inherited was comprised of two chiefs, who went independent (and who I vassalized soon after). One of my vassals claimed his Irish county, so it went back in my banner. His counties in Denmark were attacked. One was taking by one of my vassals, the other by the powerful Swedish jarl. His only territory left is a county in Scotland, but since he's part of the defensive pact against me, I'll have to wait.

Meanwhile, I got a message from my spymaster, telling me that one of my vassals (chiefs) was plotting a claim on a jarldom I owned. So I threw the bastard in my prison. So I raised the tribal law level so I could take back his title, which wouldn't anger my vassals as he had made a treasonous action. The vassal rose up but was promptly put down and I gained the county for my own. Which is neat since it's a neighbourly county top King Podr's power base. Very Happy

While I was raiding Europe to raise a few bucks (I was running dangerously low), I got another message saying a another vassal had said some inappropriate things about me. Which landed the bastard in jail (and it was about time, his relationship with Podr had been dire from the start). While I was thinking what to do with him, I noticed it had been a long while since the last blot! I had a good number of prisoners, so many were sacrificed, including that vassal! Mouhahahaha Twisted Evil Which turned out great since his heir likes me a whole lot more!

Now, what to do? Will Podr wait for the threat level to cooldown? Will he raid some more?
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 8:44 am

Epic read. Smile

I'm not a big fan of defensive pacts, sometimes I feel they're turning CK2 into another EU4 and for me that's not the game I want to play.

The tricky bit is getting an emperor rank title before getting too many crowns. I don't know how it works exactly but the game tends to favour making kingdoms that way. In your case the good thing is that taking over Ireland shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 4:39 pm

Yeah, tell me about it. I got a feeling some people were able to find the flaws of the game to nerf their play and take over the world in one generation, but for us simple mortals, getting any significant size land was hard enough to begin with. The defensive pacts really put a damper on my enthusiasm.

My plan to the empire of Britain was to wait until I had 80% of the empire's counties, than create two kingdoms, than create the empire. Even if you have all of Ireland and Scotland, you still need a chunk of England. By creating British kingdoms too early, you risk losing them in the gravelkind succession. I knew that, that's why I didn't create them. It just sucks the game automatically created one of them for my previous character's son upon his inheritance. It makes no in-game sense.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 5:28 pm

No argument there... Sad

I tend to go for the diplomatic option when I can (getting your character put on the imperial throne is always nice) so it's not as bad but still. The problem is that the game could be exploited in cheesy ways and they've been trying to fix that but what they've been doing makes the game much more frustrating and unfair at times especially if you're not a player who is using cheesy tactics to get ahead.

I'm concerned that it also makes the game much more static which means that starting positions become even more important especially at certain dates.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 9:33 am

The next DLC has some pretty cool things like diseases, wounds, epidemics... Razz

Still, sometimes I wish they would wrap things up. I was going to start a new game but the prospect of not completing it before the DLC is released and thus having to scrape it is preventing me from getting started.

Well, I guess I shouldn't be complaining that they're still supporting a game that I love. I've tried EU4 and a few other grand strategy titles and I haven't been able to experience the same satisfaction. The sheer glee experienced when witnessing my cunning plans coming together or (rather predictably) failing miserably is unmatched. The closest thing was definitely Rogue State (which I do recommend by the way).
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2016 1:41 am

Sometimes, I wonder if adding something like epidemics is worth a DLC release. Or, just start working on a CK3 and add the late stuff you thought about.

So I played a few more hours. I hope my posts are not "tl;dr" moments... Laughing :

King Podr went on a raid. Acquiring good money while having the threat level diminish, that's a good deal. While sailing around northern France and Southern England, Podr noticed something. Over in Sweden, the land is divided basically in five. A few counties are mine, one or two are independent and the rest is divided between two kings (Smàland and Svitjod). For a while, the king of Svitjod has seem to be a cunning man. He keeps manoeuvring into wars and winning Finnish and Polish counties (but doesn't seem to have any threat level... Neutral ). However, I noticed one the of the Svitjod counties was now independent AND it was touching my kingdom. A vassalage offer later, it's now under my banner! Twisted Evil

After coming back with a full loot, King Podr pondered his next move. Since the threat level was still high enough that the neighbouring pagans and catholic leaders were banded together, he looked at his vassal's activities. It seemed one of his biggest Jarls was fighting for an Irish county (belonging to an Irish Petty King (owning 7 counties total). So I decided to help and join my vassal's war. I've. Made. A. Horrible. Mistake. Since I didn't start it, I don't have any control over the ending of the war and couldn't bring in any more vassals. It lasted forever. I didn't have enough patience. I just ended up going away doing something else and eventually, it ended in white peace. Laughing

I also notice that the Svitjod King successfully annexed North Lithuania... Hmm, we'll have to keep an eye on that.

Podr is a lucky man. He's ten times a dad, from his wife as well as his two concubines (a catholic prisonner and his.. ahem... widow childless cousin with awesome stats. I didn't want those to go to waste. Luckily, their children don't have any inbred traits. Laughing ). Some of the children are starting to become of age, but their stats aren't too exciting. And all of the marriage possibilities are shit. I had to make marriages for nice stats, because the non-aggression treaties I would get were with cities or africain counties... Sad ). Podr also had trouble with a few vassals that kept forming factions. With a little money and some honorary titles, they usually go back in line.

However, Podr got news from his spymaster that three of his vassals (two counts and a Jarl) were either whispering vicious rumours about him or trying to fabricate claims on one of his titles. One of them was the newly vassalized county... Neutral . He tried to reason with the guilty parties by offering to stay his hand in exchange for their undivided loyalty, but all of them laughed in his face. A few years later, Podr enslaved his three vassals. He was able to revoke the two counties, gaining himself two new demesne. Of the other, the only title he could revoke was the jarldom. He chose of that jarldom's of the chiefs and appointed him new Jarl (and gave him all the counties the jarldom previously countained, including the former jarl, who was now out of Podr's hair). He now had a very loyal Jarl (who happened to be a very decent commander). Podr also used his new counties to land two of his sons, both very loyal towards their father. His eldest son decided to test his mettle in the Varangian guard (as a seer... WTF??).

After his threat level dropping to zero, a quick strike against an old catholic foe in Scotland landed King Podr a new county, which also enabled him to usurp the petty kingdom, turning all other in the catholic petty kingdom independent. It also enabled Podr to raise one of his newly titled son to Jarl.

But alas, money was running short. Two long raiding parties had amassed enough cash to further the capital county's development : in Podr's capital, after much improvement on the markets, he was now able to start building a new church in on of the available holdings.

With his now free time, Podr wondered what to do. He could raid again, as most of the cash went to the church's construction. But a target of opportunity offered itself. One of his biggest Jarls was attacking the Smàland kingdom in southern sweden. Since Smàland and the cunning Svitjod King are allied, the vassal was facing both. But Svitjod was also involved in infighting over the lowering of the vassal laws. What if King Podr declared a subjugation war on Svitjod? It's a 8 or 9 county kingdom, but with Smàland (7 county kingdom) occupied with my Jarl, it might just work! And it might just put me a long way ahead to create the Scandinavian Empire! Very Happy

P.s: as an added bonus, my cousin Morray (who is a Jarl, my chancellor, my designated regent and the one I'm rooting to be my heir) was involved in infighting wars with two other Jarl (both dicks). The war score was 63% in favor of the the other guys. So my calling of banners for the Svitjod war ended their war inconclusively. You can thank me later, Jarl Morray.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2016 9:55 am

Once again a great read and I wonder how it is going to play out for Podr (could you post a screenshot please). The Varangian guard event can be great if it doesn't lead to the character losing his balls but I don't get the seer thing...

In any case it gives me the urge to start another game but I must resist as I really don't want to be in the middle of a game when the next patch and DLC are coming out later this month.

Quote :
Sometimes, I wonder if adding something like epidemics is worth a DLC release. Or, just start working on a CK3 and add the late stuff you thought about.

I really don't think we need CK3 right now and probably not for quite some time. The only selling point for a new CK game would be a better engine allowing for better performance in game but other than that I can't see the point. I'm more wary of Paradox trying to innovate too much and losing perspective of what makes CK2 so much fun (what I've seen of Stellaris didn't cheer me up especially after considering how great a space opera version of CK2 could have been).

The next DLC is supposed to add more details when it comes to injuries and illnesses which frankly sounds like a pretty nice addition but one that should have been included in the game. If it was any other game I would be up in arms ranting about that but I have a soft spot for CK2... Still, Paradox better come up with a really good patch this time to make it a worthwhile addition instead of streamlining it into another EUIV.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2016 8:34 pm

Ookie dookie, here's a screenshot (my bad, it's actually Pordr, not Podr. And I assume the first letter is a "p". Laughing )

Pordr

EDIT : the pictures don't appear in the posts for some reason, so you'll have to click on the links.

And here's my Noregr Kingdom (all the counties in green). The red counties in that picture is the enemy in the Noregr vs Svitjod and Smàland subjugation war.

Map

So I decide to play a little bit more today. War was declared, drums echoed, boots started marching. Most of Pordr's vassals accepted the call to arms, except a few annoying ones he didn't bother with. He also didn't call the Dane Jarl that was subjugating Smàland. The force was assembled, at 2800 something men, along with many vassal's soldiers that were rallied. Pordr noticed the bulk of the Svitjod army was marching away from Sweden in southern Finland. He pursued, but was somewhat worried that the slim difference between numbers (it's 4400 men and his 4100 men) would be too much. In Finland, the army turned around and starting marching towards Pordr's. He had doubts, and decided to give way and retreat to a nearby county where a vassal was besieging the holding. However, with the King's army there, the vassal picked up and left toward Sweden. Pordr followed, with the Svitjod army in tow, which had picked up stray soldiers and now stood at 4800. Pordr got to the Sweden mainland but the (goddamn) vassal was still marching away. While he was trying to figure out his options, he noticed another Vassal army marching in his direction. It was in fact heading towards Finland, but Pordr timed it just right so that when the Svitjod crossed the sea, the vassal army would still be in the county with him. And so, Pordr's now 5100 soldiers battled his 4800, with Pordr turning out the victor.

The Svitjod king then called to arms all of his Lithuanian allies. Pordr was fearing he would face a big army (it was in the fog of war, so I didn't know the number of soldiers raised), so he thought "better safe than sorry", used 500 prestige points and raised a 2500 soldiers strong tribal army. But it turns out the rest was just a matter of sweeping the crumbs away. Between Pordr's vassal successfully besieging holdings and his own occupations and crushing stray enemy armies, lo and behold :

Noregr - Svitjod was

The good thing is the Svitjod king, now Pordr's vassal (thee hee), has pretty good stats. King Pordr thus named him his steward, as well as giving him a little golden present to "lighten" the mood. Very Happy

With Pordr's threat level now at 50% ( Laughing ), he will have no choice but going easy at it for a while. A Scottish catholic revolt declared itself against him, so he will probably head out there while his army is still standing, though he hopes it will be enough.

There is also the matter of his Spymaster. Jarl Dyre "The Shadow" is a dick and has been for a long while. It seemed no matter what he did, Dyre didn't like him. He tolerated it for a while, but Jarl Dyre was more active lately. He founded an independence faction (which was joined by two other Jarls, but who were talked out of with gold by Pordr). Now, it seems that Jarl Dyre has a plot to assassinate Jarl Morray, Pordr's cousin and Chancellor. It's enough to imprison Dyre without the vassal caring. But Dyre would no doubt resist and rebel, so since he's 66, Pordr could chance it for a few years for Dyre to die of old age, hoping Jarl Morray isn't murdered along the way.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2016 9:48 pm

Dealing with a cunning spymaster when you're not well versed in intrigue is always a cause for concern.

Thanks for the pictures and the update!

It's nice to put a face on a name so to speak. Smile

In order to make a picture appear you have to make sure the link you're using is the one that refers directly to the picture itself and not the service itself (at least that's what I've experienced before).

Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 5:11 am

So yeah, I was able to finally sway Jarl Dyre with gold and titles, only to see him croack a few months later. -_-    The new spymaster is shit (13 in intrigue), but at least it gave me a boost in relationship with the jarl.

A good thing with have a big litter of runts is that gives you a lot of "+10 boost in relationship for educating the child" options. Very Happy

So Pordr started raiding, when Jarl Dan (horrible viking name, if I may say so) finally was able to subdue Smàland. So with the Svitjod's and Smàland's subjugations, I went in the de jure icon to see how much money I needed to make raiding to finance the creation of the Scandavian Empire. However, I seemed to have made a math mistake. The prerequisite is 80% of de jure land, and I am at....... 79%. ARE. YOU. F**KING. KIDDING. ME?????????

I own a minority part of Finland. The rest belongs to a high chief, who is, of course, part of the defensive pact against me. The last independent Swedish county is also, of course, a part of the defensive pact. Southern Denmark is owned by catholic kingdoms, except one independent county which, for whatever reason, I need a casus belli cause to declare war. Then I got thinking. To create the empire, I need two kingdoms. I already have Norway, and I have sufficient land for both Sweden and Denmark. If I create Denmark, which I would have to do anyways, I get an automatic Casus belli.... oh...

So, great vassals, you embark on a journey this day. Go forth and carry out the attack against that county while I, King Pordr... err... raid so that I will have enough money to create the empire. No as sexy a speach as I had in mind... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 8:22 am

I like your idea, not only does it make sense but it's also something you'll have to do in order to be able to create the empire. Nice job Tri! Very Happy

By the way the next DLC should come out on the 25th, it is supposed to come with a patch that will improve performance as well. Hopefully they won't break too many things this time around.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Yeah, well there's a lot of white noise too, like Scottish and Irish revolts that happened before, as well as a dynasty fellow in a foreign court who got it inside his head he should be the one to rule.

Yeah, they add content usually when they patch, even though you don't have the DLC. I just hope, like you, that it won't screw up the game. :/
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 7:07 pm

It's really annoying because usually the game breaks when they patch it so it can't be played seriously until they release a hotfix...

The best time to start a new game is once the bugs have been ironed out and the next DLC is still a long way from being released which means mid September might be the right time to start a new game. Razz

The other thing that really turned me off was the fact that Ironman kept breaking up. It's really annoying to start an Ironman game and the next day when you start the game it says it's now a regular save.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 10:52 pm

Well diggely dang! I was waiting for guests so I continued my game a bit. King Pordr's vassals made short work of the catholic Danish Count (well, short work might me overstating things. With half a brain, they could have ended the war in half the time...). Immediately after, Pordr put his vassals on the case of his cousin trying to claim the kingdom (with 2000 soldiers... Yeah, great plan. Rolling Eyes ).

All the while, Pordr and his commanders raided all along northern France, western Spain aaaaaaaall the way to Sardinia and Provence. He wanted to be sure to have enough money to create the empire as well as some left over to smooth over vassals, if he needed it. Sure enough, with all the money he had :

Meet Emperor Pordr

Now, all through this, the threat level has dropped in half, though it is still at 26%. A blot had become available, so it will be a good opportunity to roast his tree prisoners... Then, the question remain : how will Pordr, at 55 years old, will shape his empire to make the transition to his heir, in a decade or so, more tolerable?
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 11:32 pm

Congrats! The imperial crown suits him. Wink
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 5:18 am

By the way, did you notice you can no longer plot top kill your children in CK2? I understand people used the assassinate tool (which was taken off) and the plot to kill tool to guide and select the succession. But if you want to play like that, why not? It's, you know, WHAT THEY DID IN REAL LIFE... Rolling Eyes

It's like what we said earlier. Trying to change the game in order to block nerf players is ridiculous. If a player wants to abuse the system and cheat, that's between him and his game. It's not like it's a multiplayer game where you could have an advantage over others by cheating...
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 6:25 am

It's typical of Paradox. They really did a number on Pillars of Eternity which is probably even worse because it's a purely single player game.

CK2 is by definition asymmetric, trying to balance it is misguided at best and nerfing the game is a bit ridiculous.

I don't tend to use plots like this though but it could have its uses especially considering that sending a relative to prison and then executing him or her comes with some serious cost.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2016 5:57 pm

Ok, so i continued my game. As he was getting older, Emperor Pordr knew he had to leave a house in good order for his heir. He concentrated on a couple of unruly vassals, all the while raiding like there's no tomorrow in order for his heir to have a leverage to appease his new vassals. After years of pillaging Europe (going so far as in the Mediteranean Sea), Pordr had amassed a fortune over a 1000 gold.

Now, Pordr was 66 years old and he was still plenty healthy. I truly hate that point in game where you harldy do anything exept raiding in fear that it screws up upon succession. So i decided to do the same thing did with my first ruler who was still alive after 66 years old, command-console-kill him. i glanced at the succession screen first and saw somthing that made my blood run cold : "Junior heirs have the option to go independent peacefully". So basically, all your non-heir children just go independent out of the f*cking blue? Apparantly so, because i made a different save game just to check that out. Sure enough, my heir inherited the Kingdom of Norway and the Scandanavian Empire, but his brothers inherited Pordr's title for the Kingdom of Denemark, but the Scottish, irish and Sweddish Kingdoms were created out of the blue AND THEY ALL BECAME INDEPENDENT with no intention of vassalizing to the Empire. That's so f*cking ridiculous. What, you're supposed to reconquer every kingdom on succession? And i still don't get why kingdoms are created for free. it's a headache to create it as a player. You need 51% of territory, a good dose of money and lots of Piety. But the A just hands them over because it can? it's retarded. Am i the only one who thinks it makes no sense?

Anyways, i was so pissed off i almost rage quit. i went back to my original save game as 66 year old Pordr and proceded to create the Scottish, irish and sweddish kingdoms. Along with Denmark, i gave them all away to my lowest ranked landed vassals (one county vassals) (which basically almost used up all the gold i had accumulated for the heir). i used conmmand-console-kill and Pordr's heir became Emperor.

THE EMPEROR IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE EMPEROR!

Pordr's 2nd youngest son (8th out of 10 children) inherited the two main counties of Pordr's demesne, the Kingdom of Norway and the Scandanavian Empire. All in all, Emperor Kjartan the First isn't a bad choice to rule. He was a favorite of Pordr and narrowly managed to stay the heir until Pordr's death. He was even better at everything than Pordr was (with the exception of the martial skill. Diplomacy 23, Martial 7, Stewardship 13, espionnage 11 and learning 13).

Kjartan took a look at the state of affairs. He had four powerful king vassals who didn't care for him (well, basically no vassal cared for him). Pordr's other 3 counties were divided amongst Kjartan's brothers, with all three of them going independent. Thought the weight of the empire was strong, they immediately agreed to a vassalization offer. But Kjartan was still in trouble, with just a 1000 men levy at his disposal and vassals who didn't like him. He also had a reputation hit as his prestige was in the minus (a problem with the vikings, espcially when in a high level, is no catholics want a marriage with your characters. So you always end up marrying courtiers or chiefs, which gives your character a prestige hit).

Kjartan used most of his gold to make a few vassals see things a little more his way but he knew he needed more gold so he called a raid, which he decided to participate in. While his group was attacking a poorly defended castle, he felt he was growing more confident and bold and gained the "brave" trait (boosting his martial skill by 2 and giving him a rep bonus with his vassals).

After getting back home, Kjartan (now with the caroussing focus, with it's +3 diplomacy) called a private feast with one of his King-vassal, the king of Denmark (who was also the head of a faction) to make him see reason. Well, it didn't exactly worked as planned. IT WORKED A WHOLE LOT BETTER! Kjartan and the Dane King became best friends. Over the next few years, Kjartan feasted with the irish and sweddish kings, both becoming best friends with Kjartan. So, with relationships of 100, 100, 100 and 95, saying he has the support of his top 4 vassals is an understatement. in fact, Kjartan just wants to look over his 16 other vassals and say : "go ahead, say that i'm a horrible leader and i should be deposed. i dare you".

After he caught one of his brothers plotting behind his back, he was able to imprison him and revoke his county, one of Pordr's previous demesne. Since that county bordered on Kjartan's own demesne, it was a stoke of luck. After declaring war on an irish and scottish catholic county, Kjartan was able to finally absorb those two in his empire (only one irish county is still independent). While his levy was still raised, there was a peasant revolt, which Kjartan was able to subdue and thus killing in the egg anymore catholic revolts for a while.

After five years or so, Kjartan's seat has cooled off a bit and people seem to warm up to him. His next goals : finishing the subjugation of ireland, Scotland and then settling his sights on England. Having a son would also be nice, as he had four children, all daughters. With his wife not in her mmid thirthies, he might have to seduce a few concubines... Wink
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2016 6:31 am

Nice story. That kingdom thing is a bother but if I had to venture a guess I'd say it looks like the AI is getting discounts (probably because it couldn't afford creating titles if it didn't).

Why the console kill? Old age can be tricky at times and your heir may die unexpectedly but to me the uncertainty of it all is what makes it fun. There is nothing more satisfying than getting back on top after having been kicked around by the rng a few times. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 7:07 pm

I've just fired up the game and I really like the improvements that they've brought with the latest patch.

You can pick and choose which feature to include or disable in order to make the game more interesting to you so that it matches your style.

Disabling defensive pacts seems like a no brainer to me. Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 88613
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 7:11 pm

WHAT? YOU CAN? WHERE?
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 8:41 pm

You're not going to like the answer... It's one of the new options when starting a new game.

All these options are pretty sweet and if what they say about improving performance in the late game is true then this is the biggest improvement since RoI doubled the size of the map.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 8:51 pm

Damn. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Now you know why I've been waiting months in order to start a new game.  Sad

I really think it's a Paradox thing. They keep hammering away at their games always looking for things to change and balance out. It's what turned me off Pillars of Eternity at least until they stopped messing it up.

I could understand such an attitude with multiplayer games that require some sort of balance to be attained but it doesn't really make sense when you consider a game like CK2 in which you can start as a lowly count or an emperor depending on your mood.

Maybe it has to do with programmers who can't let go and keep fixing and patching stuff if nobody tells them to stop.

I can't say I'm not grateful for the latest additions. With some of the options we can really stick to a more historical version of the game or alternatively go for the CK2 experience we've come to appreciate and love.

EDIT: The latest DLC doesn't mess around, my first game was over after 7 years when my lowly count got sick, became insane because of the treatment, was awarded a duchy and appointed his horse as his chancellor...

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 11 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crusaders Kings 2
Page 11 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next