Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Crusaders Kings 2

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Of course he'll need to blue himself.
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 7:39 pm

That's right, I forgot about the blue man group. He'll also have to be an aspiring thespian. And/or a Sue Storm impersonator.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 8:45 pm

Plus he'll need some garishly clothed would be thespians posing as pirates to complete the picture.

No touching!
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2018 2:35 pm

So I've just noticed there is yet another CK2 upcoming DLC, Holy Fury. Like many previous DLCs, it doesn't seem to add all that much to the game, but there is a new sort of society you can join as a pagan, the warrior lodge. They added a bloodline element, so if your character is a descendant of a great king or emperor, you get a bonus trait. The religious system has been reworked, if I understand correctly. There's also new options to charm or provoke neighbors. Plus many many small changes and tweaks.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2018 3:44 pm

Yes, it does sound good for reformed Pagans.

There is also a coronation mechanic which looks interesting.

Of course they're asking for 19.99 for it which is way too much IMHO (will have to shop around and see if there is a discount).
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2018 4:07 pm

Even though it will be released soon, maybe it will be on sale in the Steam summer sale?
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2018 9:47 am

It won't be on sale on Steam. They are milking the fanbase dry. I used to defend them but considering the pattern with every game they make and publish I can't really say I support what they're doing anymore. It's ok to go for that sort of thing when you're targeting a niche but considering how they've expanded and how they've grown in the last five years it's difficult to justify sticking to that business model especially in this day and age when you can get complete games for much less money than what they're asking for a DLC that only adds a few things (and will break the game until they manage to patch and fix it).

Especially now that they lump everything together so you can't skip the cosmetic stuff to save a few bucks...

And I'm not even getting into the argument that DLC content vs patch content doesn't really make sense because in many cases the DLC stuff should probably have been included in a free patch (but some would say they would never have made that content if they weren't making money out of it).

In any case, the best bet is to look for a discount at Green Man Gaming or Win Game Store.

My personal rule is to skip any other Paradox game until they're done with CK2 (I've got my eyes on Imperator Rome so hopefully by then CK2 will be complete). I simply can't justify to myself spending that amount of money on DLC stuff for more than a game no matter how much I like it (and I really do like CK2).
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 1:31 am

I'm just throwing this on here... we'll probably never see the light of it (and it might be not be such a good idea, as Paradox is slipping into Electronic Arts level of arseholery), but I'd be interested in knowing what the company would have in store for a new installment.

Unless you're really tired of hearing me babbling about my story (please say so if you are), I've picked up my CK2 game in the last couple of days. I covered a lot of ground, so sorry for this very long post.  Embarassed

When last I gave news about my Viking emperor Steinn, he had just conquered most of what was left of catholic England. There was only one county holding out. Needless to say, I made quick work of it. I then turned my gaze towards southern Ireland. Back a inheritance or two, the three sons of the late emperor had decided to go independent once the successor inherited. While I was busy taking care of the first two, the third son (dumbass) had lost the three southern most counties in Ireland to the Kingdom of Navarra (comprised of northeast Spain and Brittany). After regaining one of the counties a few years ago, I decided to go after another one. It was fairly easy, since the Kingdom's territory is spread out. Only one county to go before all of UK is mine!! (but I have to wait 5 years to avoid being a trucebreaker).

I passed the time by raiding and attacking an independent tribal chief in Poland. I also slipped in a Blot (those are great! Laughing). Before long, 5 years had elapse. On the very day the truce expired, I declared war. Not only that, I immediately joined my English king's war against the same opponent (my vassal was trying to gain a foothold in Brittany by conquering Rennes). Knowing both wars would be won or lost together, I thought it was a great way to make a dent into Navarra and jam my finger in mainland Western Europe. They were no match for the vikings' might, so UK completely went under my control!

In the meantime, I continued my custom of looking out for martially talented females. I need my shieldmaiden amazon bodyguards, of course. My favorite is to "corrupt" catholic female prisoners by taking them as concubines, showering them with gifts, demanding their religious conversion and appointing them as shieldmaidens (provided they meet the prerequisites). This is how Ksenia, a Pomeranian noble taking prisoner during a conquest, became my latest warrior chick. Unfortunately, Steinn's wife (since forever) died of a natural death. I thought about "promoting" Ksenia, but I noticed a catholic noble in a vassal's court (why that vassal didn't force his guy to convert, I don't know) had nice martial skills (all other candidate had shit stats). I took 23 year old Jasminne as my new wife (converting her to norse, of course).

Looking for my next target, I noticed a major opportunity. The Carpathian Empire, one of the major player (if not THE major), was engaged in a major civil war (roughly half fighting the other half). As the war score was just 4%, I hoped I had enough time to stick my finger in. While looking through potential casus belli, I notice Ksenia, my new amazon, has a claim on the Pomeranian duchy (2 Carpathian counties, owned by legitimate Carpathia). The neat thing about that is those two counties would connect Danemark to my northeastern European territories. So I go forward with it. It's a bloody battle, but with half the empire battling them too, I only encountered one or two 18 000 soldiers stacks. Sure enough, I finally was able to get the war effort to 100%. I just then remembered that a claimant needs to be landed, or else s(he) becomes independent. So I hurriedly booted the priest of a temple in one of my holdings and gave the title to Ksenia. I accepted Carpathia's surrender and admired my two new counties.  Cool  I thought it'd be a good idea to play both sides, so I declared war on the Carpathian revolt in order to nab some of their territory too. Unfortunately, the civil war ended just as I was almost finished grouping my army, so my casus belli fell through. In hindsight, I really really should have declared both wars simultaneously.... :/   After the dust settled, I had hoped Ksenia would still be my concubine, but I guess it's fair that a duchess isn't bound to be a lowly sex slave... Laughing   What's really cool is since Ksenia got her title as a landed religious leader, she founded a theocracy and took the "arch-priestess" title, which I thought was rather neat. Then I thought "Steinn is the "Cleansing Flame". He's a zealot and was married with Illiana "the inquisitor" for most of his life. The guy probably has a hard on thinking about Odin rubbing butter on his chest". So I couldn't leave it like that. I divorced poor Jasminne and married Ksenia, now arch-priestess empress. What's funny, though, is I noticed Jasminne was still hanging around my court, so I took her as a concubine. As she was germanic and had a nice martial stat, I appointed her a shieldmaiden. From empress to bodyguard sex slave. Oh well, not everyone can have it all. Laughing

A few years passed as I was putting things in order around my empire, when fully controlled Carpathia messaged me saying "Filthy pathetic beasts, Poland belongs to me. Give it to me now, or suffer hell's fury". "Oh yeah? you'll only get Poland out of my dead cold hands, bible humping morons!", I answered. (I'm paraphrasing.... Razz ). I was kind of stressed about it, though. It would probably be my biggest challenge so far. Carpathia is a major major player. So we both assembled our armies and started to skirmish around our borders. It really was the clash of titans, evenly matched fights of stacks of 18 000 / 20 000 soldiers. The biggest battle was their 36 000 soldiers against my 34 000 (Battle of Grunwall style). I don't know if it's because of my generals (all three are between 26 and 23 in martial) or the composition of my troops, but I managed to pull out a win, despite being outnumbered. I'm convinced that battle settled the outcome of the war, because that was basically all I had. My men even managed to corner the emperor and slay him in that battle. It didn't change anything really, since his son took over the war, but still. After that, it was mopping up the stacks that appeared. I masterfully timed some battles so I hit a smaller number of their main stacks that was travelling a little slower than the rest between counties. I also had to fight against two enemies : Carpathia and attrition. Man, attrition is a bitch when doing some high level fighting (I'm not saying anything bad about it. I'm just saying it complicates everything). I had to navigate and time my movements.  In the end, I managed to basically eliminate enough of his forces to get that 100% war effort and net a 850 gold they owed me for my troubles (aside from the ego boost from winning against a main rival.  Cool  ).

Next up, I'm thinking the Russian territory is due for a little trimming.  Twisted Evil  (and since Russia is not catholic, I can nab more territory by waging holy wars for duchies since I'm not scared of kingdoms banning together). I just hope Steinn is going to hold on. He's now 59 and keeps getting stressed out all the time. The garden I constructed in my capital helps a lot, as does his vassals frequently invite him to party. So finger crossed! Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 74522

Last edited by Triactus on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 2:12 am

Bonus : Here's a screenshot of Europe :
Spoiler:

and of Emperor Steinn :
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2018 9:44 am

Wow, quite the story and it's fun to see Carpathia coming out as the big dog (never happened in any of my games).

Loved the bit about the shield maidens, you're putting the roleplaying in the game and that's how CK2 shines

As for CK3 it needs to bring enough to the table for me to even consider getting it at this point because the investment is ridiculous and personally I have been putting off playing CK2 waiting for the next DLC and subsequent patch.

I guess 64 bit support will be an improvement but they would have to add more than that to make a sequel worth the investment for long time players.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 3:43 pm

I agree that the investment in CK2 was considerable. If they do indeed ship out a CK3, they better not pull an Electronic Arts and make the third an upgrade on the second vanilla game with all of CK2's DLC content becoming eventual CK3 DLC content (exactly what EA did when they released The Sims 3). In the interview, the Paradox executive said the game has gotten to the breaking point where adding extra content will make the game buckle under its weight. So if they have ideas for new content and functionalities for CK, they have to go build a new system and rethink the whole game. That's why I'd be curious of the direction they would push the game into (hopefully, not the Firaxis direction, with regards to Civ 5 and 6).

So yeah, Emperor Steinn conquered two independent counties in Carpathian territory, but close to the Scandinavian border. He also pushed hard to fufill his life's vision: equality between men and women. Having raised women's rights a couple of times during his rule, he had met popular acceptance to push ultimate equality, as well as revisit inheritance laws so both genders would inherit under the same basis. He then went back towards his conquest and attacked Rus for two counties bordering on his territory. However, he was never able to see the end of his war, for natural death took him on a new journey.

Enter his designated heir and now Emperor, Vagn Bertilsson Trönde. Vagn has nice martial skills (18), but the drop from Steinn's 24 diplomacy to Vagn's 12 is a sheer drop. But the big bummer is that Vagn is 57. Neutral    All of Steinn's children inherited a county (having both women and men inheriting means that while more people get chucks of the demesne, the chunks are smaller and thus easier to take back...). A couple of the brood declared independence, but were quickly swayed to come back in the fold. Securing the vassals support is more problematic as relationships isn't as high and money has to be thrown at the factions sprouting like weeds. But nothing alarming so far. There's a minor king that's a pain in the ass (minus 68 relationship, but it's mainly my fault. I booted him out of my council while playing with Steinn, since he was malcontent and his favour repaying collegues on the council were gridlocking everything, paying him off with gifts would have cost more than 200 gold. Screw that.)

So I squashed Rus (almost all of my losses were due to attrition, not enemy forces... Laughing ) and won the two counties, took back most of Steinn's lost demesne from his brood, helped two vassals conquer the northern half of Brittany, all is well so far, if a bit rocky. But at now 62, I'm expecting Vagn to kick the bucket at any time. And for the first time, it seems the likely heir will be a woman! (22 years old to boot. Nice diplomacy, but that's about it, unfortunately. I like the guy I'm supporting for heir better, but oh well, that's how it goes in an elective gravelkind. At least the woman isn't a leper! Laughing ).

Oh, and I though Steinn's "Cleansing Flame" nickname was cool. After defeating Rus (in a holy war), Vagn earned "The Sword of Odin". Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 170843
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Hell yeah, that is truly epic! I love the nicknames and the idea of getting gender equality is incredibly refreshing. Can't wait to see how the next ruler is going to work with that gender thing. The times I did end up with a female ruler it was interesting to say the least. The most important thing is to make sure the heir is of your dynasty. Hopefully the lady is not going to marry off some random dude before you get to control her.

Regarding CK3 I see no reason why they wouldn't pull the same trick EA or Firaxis did. It's so much easier for them to do so. How do you suppose they are going to implement all the features we have in CK2? That won't happen anytime soon and if Hearts of Iron 4 is any indication we already know that they will improve on the game but that they will also come up with a boatload of dlcs. With that being said, CK2 is too bloated and it has been so since they decided to include India. The game badly needs 64bit support at this point.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 7:49 pm

Yeah, I'm liking my game so far. I like playing the vikings a lot more than catholic nobles. Twisted Evil I think they added nicknames with some DLCs, because from time to time, I see new ones I never saw before.

My likely heir is already married. I can always divorce the husband and arrange a matrilineal marriage. But I think right now, for me, the dangers are null. As I am in an elective gravelkind, any member of my dynasty can be a possible heir. At this point, my vikings have had so many children I have kin everywhere! Laughing My first character had something like 10 children. Having a wife as well as three concubines really helps. In fact, I think, in the 8 rulers I have played so far, at least half were children of concubines. As for losing titles, if your new characters inherits claims on lost titles, all other vassals are fine with you revoking them. You can always fabricate a claim on them if you don't inherit claims. The only negative thing of having a female ruler, as far as I can see, is that you still get a -15 relationship hit with vassals for being a female ruler (even though you have full women rights).

It's fine if they remove some features brought on by DLCs because you don't want your new game to be oppressively heavy, but EA really pushed the enveloped. I remember paying for a "university life" DLC for The Sims 2. The Sims 3 had no university level... which was added by a later "university life" DLC.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2018 7:24 pm

You're right Elective Gavelkind does come in handy for female rulers. Smile

This is a really nice game for sure!
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2018 11:26 pm

Why the hell didn't I know about this CK2 overhaul mod??  Shocked   I just stumbled on it today. It's a post-apocalyptic 27th century american setting, where you can play anywhere from North America to northern South America. Basically, after a cataclysm, central governments fell and society eventually evolved into small kingdoms and counties, not unlike  after the fall of the Roman Empire. It's really cool! And my hometown is in there and everything! Very Happy ( In real life, the cities where I was born and raised and where I live now have been merged for the past 20 something years. In the mod, the former is the county's castle and the latter is the county's city. Kind of cool, actually! Laughing )
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2018 7:39 am

Now you know why I almost always start in Lyon (or Geneva). Razz

I've just found out that they have preorder bonuses for the Holy Fury DLC... They are not turning into EA, they are on their way to becoming worse than EA (besides the on the house thing EA have been giving away Battlefield DLC lately -can't really complain about that).

You know that I bought the Smartphone CK2 choose your own adventure app for the extra music track and random event for CK2? That's how much I'm into this game but pushing preorders for a DLC is as bad as it gets. I will do what I've been doing with previous DLC for this game, I will look for at least a 20% off deal from some official reseller like GMG. No way I'm buying it full price and I certainly won't be purchasing it from their store (let alone preordering it).
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2018 1:52 am

What? There's an app for CK2? What does it do?

I'm trying to ride out the last years of Emperor Vagn, but the damn guy won't die. Laughing  I've waged three successive wars. The first one was a holy war on the French duchy next to Holland (which I controlled). France was just out of a war, so I was hoping I would be able to go in, grab my stuff, and get out. With fingers crossed that Carpathia would stay out of it, who was busy defending against one of my vassals trying to conquer a Carpathian county (while my vassal, not even a king, didn't officially have the "slow" trait, I'm pretty sure he secretly was, going after the biggest empire around... alone...). After I combined my army and touched down in France, Carpathia finished my vassal and joined in with France. Sad  As did Valencia, Luxembourg and Austrasia. Good news is it was basically a Scandanavian-Carpathian fight, as no other kingdom sent out troops. But, after cat and mouse mouvement, trying to avoid attrition and big enemy stacks, I was able to defeat enough Carpathian armies that they weren't threatening to my soldiers and I could besiege the French duchy. After a while, France surrendered its three county duchy to me. Immediately after, before my threat level would motivate Christian rulers into a defensive pact, I declared war on Luxembourg (two county kingdom) for Loon, the county just south of Holland a quickly nabbed it. It also happens Jasminne, my previous character's ex-wife-turned-concubine, has a claim on it. I really like it when I capture a foreign noble, convert them and make them into norse badasses and let them go back to their people as conquerors. It's a magnificent corruption. Smile   Stockholm syndrome is Scandinavian, after all. Laughing   Two vassals also both attacked Navarra for two of the three remaining Brittany counties. And they won, so my foothole is becoming a tunnel. Razz

The third war : France then fell into a MAJOR civil war. Well, since my truce was with legit France, no reason I couldn't say hello to the rebellion.  Twisted Evil   So I declared a holy war on a three county duchy. After a well fought war, I won and it again fell into my hands. Unfortunately, one of the counties stayed French since Italy was allied with legit France and was already besieging that county. As they were neutral to me, I couldn't either attack them or besiege any holding in that county while they were there. Which is a very moronic situation, IMO (what do goddamn pagans care about a Christian legal technicality!). But I was still happy with the two county I gained. Especially since one of them is..... MOTHERF***ING PARIS! That right. Paris is now ruled by mutton-eating, braid-wearing, animal-sacrificing norse warriors. In your face, Pope! Smile

My new five French counties are pretty much a straight line from Holland into French territory, so my next order of business will be to try to conquer what's around it to give it more flesh. And maybe try to link with Brittany. I just hope I'll do so with my next character. Vagn is 67. Dude, let it go.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2018 9:23 pm

Crusader kings chronicles is a choose your own adventure game for Android. I'm not even sure it's still available for purchase. It does unlock one track for the main game (and two minor events apparently).

Reading your tales of conquest make me want to play the game again.

Now I wonder how far your guy will go. Smile
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2018 7:07 pm

So I didn't have to wait long. Vagn finally kicked the bucket at 69. And the apparent heir did indeed inherit, so for the very first time, an Emperess will sit in the driver's seat. Enter : Emperess Gyrith the first, thirty years old. She was in a regular marriage with three kids, but I divorced the husband and married matrilineally as to add a bit of Trönde (my dynasty) children in the pool. Only one child of the previous ruler went independent in the inheritance process (county of Holland). As she doesn't want to bend the knee to Gyrith, I declared a conquest war, which will bring the title back in the right hands (that's mainly the problem i'm facing right now. Gyrith inherited only two counties and didn't inherit any claims. So I'll have to be proactive in fabricating claims to lost holdings because 2 holdings will severely hinder my personal strength (and may invite wars from opponents, since the AI analyses player's demesne strength when deciding if it will declare war to push a claim. I'm looking at you, Carpathia!)).

However, I'll take a little break from my viking game, for now. I really wanted to try my hand at the After the end mod. Initially, I wanted to start a game with my real life location, but I had so much fun playing a pagan that I didn't want to go back to a christian ruler yet. I found the next best thing. Truly, the next best. I used the ruler designer to create myself a ruler (with my surname as the dynasty). I'm playing a Brethren (a fictional pirate "religion") hedonist seductor drunkard out of Anticosti, an island in the Atlantic, just off of Québec (in real life, Anticosti is part of Qc), whose ingame religion is also the Brethren. They can raid, attack different religious holdings without CB. Concubines are also possible. I'm feeling at home in more ways than one. Laughing  I've been having levy problems though. After a few successive wars, I've noticed that the levy reinforcement rate is reaaaaally looooowww. Much lower than what I'm used to in my regular CK2 game. I've made a couple of bad calls and now, I'm basically watching my main holding's levy reinforce by 8-10 soldiers per month. Like watching grass grow :*(
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2018 5:45 pm

Quote :
I'm feeling at home in more ways than one.

This made my day! Laughing

The one thing I dislike about elective is not being able to pick your guy so you end up with someone who doesn't have the "right" claims...

I really enjoy reading about your viking game. This is the stuff of legends! Smile
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2018 6:10 pm

Carabas wrote:
The one thing I dislike about elective is not being able to pick your guy so you end up with someone who doesn't have the "right" claims...

While I agree that's a problem (though more an annoyance than a real problem), I think elective gravelkind fixes other things. Honestly, apart from the leper episode (my vassals kept voting for a freaking leper with no good stats as my next heir. When my character got to his mid-sixties, I had the leper executed and absorbed the tyranny because it would have be disastrous otherwise), the heirs that were selected were excellent choices. In my experience, vassals tend to vote for the ruler who will better advance the realm in their eyes (and my 8th character, Vagn, was the first of 8 selected heirs to be over 40 years old).

And since elective gravelkind restricts the possible candidates to members of your dynasty, being game over by dynasty elimination is pretty much a non-issue as the game progresses, especially with pagans. Since they can take up to 3 concubines, it's not uncommon to see 5 to 8 babies per couple. Plus you retain the gravelkind +30% demesne limit you otherwise lose with primogeniture or other succession laws. In fact, I'm starting to prefer elective gravelkind to primogeniture (I dislike regular gravelkind and elective monarchy is much too risky IMO). Maybe I've just been lucky, but Gyrith is the first new ruler where I had a low number of holdings on succession. And if you have a chancellor worthy of the name, he'll fabricate claims for you in good time.

And there's also that I personally like being surprised. "Ok, here's my new ruler. Who's s(he), what is s(he) like? How will I play it?". I'm adapting my plans to who gets on top, so there's a challenge there.

Last edited by Triactus on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 12:07 pm

You've got a point.

Sometimes I tend to get carried away getting rid of siblings and pretenders to such an extent that my dynasty doesn't spread as much as it should (which can also be a problem).
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 2:17 pm

It's a different play style, is all. I rarely use the plotting part of the game. I tend to favour characters with good diplomacy (I guess I'm more of a negotiator). Even when I have rulers that have good intrigue, my plots always tend to go down the drain. Back in the day, I was relying more on the "assassinate" option, but it doesn't exist anymore.

I was looking up a thread on the Paradox forum. Most were complaining about elective gravelkind, how a pain in the ass it is. While there is definitely some management involved, a couple of pro-EG posters put it in a way I 100% agree :

Quote :
I deal with it the following way: Fuck around. All the time. Sometimes even by the use of seduction as additional income of babies. Depending on the age of my ruler I even legitimize every bastard created this way. This leaves me usually with around 8-12 children. Then I betroth and marry to everyone around me whom I not consider the next target of conquest/subjugation. You might loose some territory on succession, but your dynasty spreads. This leads to many alliances with potentially strong kingdoms. Choosing a king of your dynasty as your heir leaves you with a kingdom and your territory one generation later.

Quote :
one way to deal with it is to not deal with it. Just go with it for a while. Conquer off in one direction and let those lands be lost on succession. Then go another direction and establish your dynasty there. Embrace the chaos. Eventually you'll have family all over the place and it will be easy to establish alliances and build something more stable.

So in essence, to deal with elective gravelkind : have your wife chug out babies like crazy (if pagan, than use your three concubines to have more babies. The -1 diplomacy for being a child of concubine is not a big deal. I have had emperors with that trait. Many, in fact). And the more babies you have means the more spread out your lost titles will be on death. A one county holding ruler is much more likely to accept being a vassal than a 4 county holding one. NEVER land your children, especially bigger titles, like duchies or kingdoms. Can't stress that enough. Children that inherit a title from a dead ruler have the option to become independent. The only time my empire was split on succession was because I had given kingdoms to my sons. It took almost 100 years to recover every single county from that split (catholics had conquered a few from the independent son). And always create titles when available (or else, the game creates them for you and hands them to your sons which motivates them to become independent). Plot or fabricate claims on counties you lost and want to gain. No one will bat an eye if you revoke a title you have a claim to (except the current holder, but screw him. Laughing ).

Embrace the chaos, my friend. Razz

Last edited by Triactus on Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 2:55 pm

Hahahaha, I've just noticed it's actually spelled gavelkind. I'm been saying gRavelkind for the last three years... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 3:42 pm

ARF! Talk about a pebble getting stuck somewhere! Laughing

I'm a plotter at heart. I only wage wars when I can get away with it and it's a sure thing otherwise I don't bother.

That's why I like playing Christian rulers as you get to play the marriage game and scheming to get ahead.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 16 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crusaders Kings 2
Page 16 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next