Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Crusaders Kings 2

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 4:01 pm

As I was saying, it's just different play styles. And that's the beauty of CK2. The game enables you to play it as you see fit and still get the results you want. I'm a very straightforward person IRL, so my aggressive play style reflects that. And that's why I'm liking playing as Norse pagans so much.

I've also made use of the seducer focus in my After the end mod playthrough. In the québécois culture's default (fictionnal) religion (a branch of christianity), the priests are women. I've conquered 5 or 6 québécois counties so far, and after gaining a new female priest vassal, I would seduce her, successfully becoming her lover, then demanding she convert to my religion, then break up with her (or continue on as lover, if she has nice attributes i'd want a child to have, though I'd have to legalized the bastard). Even with the "former lover" relationship hit, I'm always in the +70 range. Very Happy  I've also secured a mariage with a quick county holding woman this way. She would only accept a matrilineal marriage, so I seduced her to become her lover, which raised the relationship enough for her to accept a regular marriage.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 5:17 pm

For the record the way I play has little to do with who I am irl. Razz

I had fun getting the Black Widow achievement for CK2 while playing a female ruler with the seduction focus.

There is also something to be said about being able to keep a rival's skull as an heirloom...

Especially when it's Charlemagne's (who never got a chance to become an Emperor in that game). lol!
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2018 7:08 pm

I forgot to answer your post las week, but it made me chuckle. Drinking mead out of Charlemagne's skull is so very CK2... Laughing

I had two very funny things that happened in the same evening while I was playing my After the end mod game. My second character, King of Côte-Nord the cruel, has the trait "lunatic". I had a message that the character wanted to implement a new law. I could decide on what subject : flowers, pants and violence. As he was cruel, I chose violence, but it turns out my character wrote a law that violence against man, woman, child, animal or plant was strictly prohibited in any form under threat of imprisonment. That came with a -5 with all vassals, who were thinking "W....T....F....". Laughing I should have saved before choosing. I really want to know what law about pants my character wanted implement.  Very Happy

But the best was with his father, my first character. He had good martial attributes and even though he was in his mid-sixties, I was still using him as general. Well, he got hit on the head in a battle and became a vegetable. My regent, a vassal, came to see my character, saying "You know, one of your counties should really belong to me. Don't you agree?". And my two answers were : "Stare at wall", which made me lose Baie-des-chaleurs, and "Drools", which made me lose Rivière-du-loup. This is why I love CK2. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2018 6:00 pm

This is why I love CK2. Wink

The violence thing makes sense since any trespassers will be punished violently (and it says a lot that such a decree is viewed as lunacy).

Nothing is better than making your horse a council member! Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 667274

The next DLC looks like it will be fun... once it is patched of course as it will likely be broken on day one.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2018 4:09 pm

I was halfway through my post last night when I accidentally closed the browser tab. Mad  Here goes try #2 :

My After the end game was becoming frustrating (factions were spurting up like weeds, regardless of how much money I would throw at the problem). I decided I would return to my very stable viking regime and treat you the great wall of text. Laughing

So the first order of business on Emperess Gyrith the first's plate was to increase her demesne. As she wasn't the late Emperor Vagn's daughter, she didn't inherit claims to his counties. She only got the two capital counties. That means my personal levies went from 6000+ to less than 2000...  :/   My first target was  one of Vagn's daughter, who inherited Holland and went independent. Well, not for long... Wink  But I was now at 3 counties and that was still low. I sent my chancellor try to fabricate some claims for me. In the meantime, the blot had become available, so I thought that executing prisoners might cheer me up. One of my vassals said he couldn't come for inconciliable religious differences. I was going "wait, what?" I checked him out and, sure enough, that vassal was catholic! And all three of his vassals were catholic too. Since I am allowed to revoke titles based on religion, I gave everybody the boot. I created a new vassal for the city and the temple, but kept the castle AND the barony to myself. Both had 1000+ levies. cheers  Along with my conquest of the last county of Brittany not under my control as well as the conquest of the Luxembourg petty kingdom, I was up to my 9 county personal demesne limit in no time! Smile

As a viking, you have the conquest casus belli (which enables you to declare war for a county of a different religion that neighbours your territory or is on the coast). As I reformed the religion, I also have the holy war casus belli (to nab a duchy, at the risk of same religion leaders joining your target). But I noticed I also have the great holy war (a viking crusade to overtake a kingdom, again, at the risk of same religion leaders joining your target. Though I imagine a bigger risk). I noticed this checking my war options for Russia. With glee, I was going to wage a great holy war against them. Since they are slavic, no other leader was going to band up with them, right? Well, wrong as it turns out. Noticed the Russian King converted to catholicism, which means all other catholic leaders could be joining Russia. Sad   But, all is not lost. The leader is 75 and his son is slavic. Well, the King died a year or two later.... but his son had converted to catholicism in the meantime... Neutral   One of my lesser vassals was going at it for a Russian county bordering on our territory, so I declared was on Russian for their capital county (also neighbouring me) out of spite as well as joined my vassals war. It was a loooong war because they would be moving their army so much around. In the end, I prevailed.

I was finishing squashing a peasant revolt when an incredible situation arose : the Carpathian behemoth is in a civil war. The western side of the empire, under the Kingdom of Germany, is fighting for its independence. This is an opportunity I cannot ignore, as Carpathia is slightly too strong for me to take on. I would have liked to join Germany's side in the civil war, but I can't. Next best thing : declaring a holy war on Germany for the duchy of Brunswick (five counties, which would link my Holland duchy and Danemark) AS WELL as a Great holy war on Carpathia for the Ruthenia kingdom, essentially the eastern 40% of the not-rebelling Carpathia.

Spoiler:

I tried to play it out, but to be honest, I'm having some difficulty. It's not even the size of the enemy (which is considerable, to be sure. If they pool their soldiers, they outsize my personal levies+mercenaries+my vassal's levies). But the attrition is killing me! It's a pain in the ass and makes high level fights soooooo much harder. I can't move without incurring massive attrition, so I have to separate my stack into many smaller stacks, which makes it a pain to move around. On the plus side, since the great holy war is a crusader, most of my vassals joined up with their full levies. But like tribal wars, you don't control them and they make very stupid decisions.

While I was fighting, the pope declared a crusade for some of my French territory. Aquitaine and a small time king joined Germany against me, France and Bulgaria joined Carpathia. I made headway against Germany (even fighting off Carpathian armies coming to fight the germans), and I won it in the nick of time (the war score for the german revolt was 100% in favour of Carpathia when I won the duchy). But Carpathia unified their territory and attrition slowed everything to a crawl. I went from a +30% war score against Carpathia to a -36%....:/  

It was going so tediously I was getting frustrated. I know it's cheating, but I decided to reload to just before I declared war and starting over with a different strategy. I'm not sure what that strategy is yet, though. Laughing  Essentially, I will try to declare the same wars, but will try to help Germany as much as I can (the war score is 15% for Carpathia at this point). I want to prevent Carpathia from reunifying. I'm figuring if I beat the crap out of their armies as fast as I can without touching Germany's, I might give them a fighting chance to last longer.

What do you think? Have any advice?

It's a shame I can't make a deal with Germany... Sad I know I'm a filthy pagan trash, but it's not like deals with the devil have never been made in the history of our world...  "Listen, if you fail in your revolt, you'll be imprisoned and probably executed. Yes, I want some of your territory. We'll fight against each other in the future, without a doubt. But for that, you need to be alive tomorrow. And I can guarantee you you'll live to see the next dawn, if you allow me to fight by your side".
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2018 10:41 am

There is no spoon long enough to sup with the devil. Wink

I don't like huge wars myself, is there no other option for mayhem?

Regarding the conflict, couldn't you take advantage of Carpathian being temporary weakened to snag Russia? Since the Carpathian Empire is the largest enemy you have and they are busy with the Germans you may be able to get away with attacking Russia.

Considering you're not playing Ironman there is no real drawback in giving it a try.

I loved the bit about the Catholic vassal refusing to go to the Blot and ending up without a title. Made me chuckle. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2018 8:54 pm

What's wrong with me? I accidentally closed the tab as I was almost done writting this post. AGAIN. Sad

Carabas wrote:
I loved the bit about the Catholic vassal refusing to go to the Blot and ending up without a title. Made me chuckle. Laughing

I know! Laughing T'was a sheep amongst wolves. Should've kept his mouth shut, I wouldn't have stumbled on him and his vassals otherwise. Smile

Good point about Rus. I hadn't thought about that angle. And it might work, since leaders already fighting a war (Carpathia in this case) don't join other holy wars. Still, I think going after Carpathia is the best move. I want to weaken them as much as I can to future wars (or future holy wars on other leaders where Carpathia joins up) won't be as tough. In the ideal situation, Germany wins their revolt and Carpathia is severely weakened, but that is wishful thinking. Plus, Rus' is mostly composed of small tribal holdings counting more or less 500 levies. That wouldn't have the same long term impact as Ruthenia, being a feudal territory.

Otherwise, I don't think I have that much options to screw up the Carpathians. They wouldn't accept a mariage in any shape or form (and my character has no intrigue), so I think war is my only solution.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2018 8:56 am

I would have gone for Rus but I see that it is not a simple situation. Please try and make the most of it, I'm curious to see how this is going to play out.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2018 12:43 pm

I've preordered Holy Fury with a 22% discount which brings the cost to a more sensible amount (from DLGamer). Hopefully it will be decent enough and won't break the game because I've been waiting to start CK2 again for quite some time.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Can't wait for your first impressions! The DLC description sounds cool, but I find it's hit and miss with Paradox DLC. Some can we really underwhelming.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2018 8:51 am

Definitely. I've grown tired of they're business model and CK2 is the only game they publish that I'm following. I simply can't justify the amounts required to keep up with their other games. The real problem is that CK2 would really benefit from a 64 bit architecture, they've just expanded the game so much to the East it's silly. I've read that this time around they are reshaping parts of Europe and Africa which makes a lot more sense than working on Tibet for a game that is supposedly about the crusades.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2018 12:54 pm

The UI scaling is neat but all too blurry so you may want to look into using this mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735130352

My eyes can't deal with the original fonts anymore.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2018 3:35 pm

I've started a new game in Lyon and it's been an incredible mess when for a reason that eluded me (I was too busy focusing on my one legged Duke shifting from duelling and warfare to devil worshipping -the poor guy lost a leg after killing in duel the bastard who had just killed Charlemagne in a duel so he was a bit depressed) the Karling in charge who was just a kid converted to Islam...

I thought I could trick him and fake a conversion but he got my guy arrested and sentenced to burn on a pyre (something that all things considered was well deserved).

In the aftermath that followed there has been a lot of switching around in terms of religion and now the head honcho is a Catholic and my guy is a closet Catholic posing as a Muslim. It doesn't make much sense but I wanted to see how it would play out thinking that I could always convert back after getting a few new traits and a few more kids.

As it turns out since this is my second ruler and the dynasty is very small there are some advantages in sticking to being a Muslim. Having 4 official wives for instance is a real boon that way you don't have to worry about having to look for women with good traits to pump out bastards (you can still do that of course but it's easier just to marry them -of course for a Pagan player that may not have been a problem). Plus having your first wife contributing to your scores doesn't prevent you from having a secondary wife as a Spymaster (as long as you keep her happy).

The only real drawback is that you can't abuse matrilineal unions to poach the best commoners in the land (which is a great trick to get the guys with the highest stats in your court).

Right now I don't really know if this is a bug or if the game is working as planned but the whole religious thing is all over the place (my guy posing as a Muslim took part in one of his liege's holy wars which doesn't really make sense).

The other cool thing is to be able to give a temple holding to a character without making him celibate.

There is also something to be said about having a decent heir marry 4 wives and having a bunch of boys while in his early 20s (my guy is in his 40s and he already has 4 grandsons). I almost considered having my guy commit suicide (got to love being stressed sometimes) to switch to the heir (good intrigue, no bad traits) but then I thought that since he loves his dad I should keep him as Spymaster and take him as my apprentice in the Hermetic society.

Nothing is perfect because besides the good son he had one promising son die as a kid and the two other sons are not great (one is homosexual and the other is a bit slow and both are rivals) so I had the ruler seduce the best of his daughters in law to get more kids (since their fathers are already rivals I thought that I would avoid the issue of having to deal with bastards and making more enemies).

My guy is still in his prime so I'm planning to have him father as many sons as possible to extend his family so when I will switch back to Catholicism I'll have a large pool of family members (preferably without any strong claim to my titles) to marry to heiresses.

It feels a bit broken but I'm curious and I want to see where this can go.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2019 9:54 am

So I've been playing this game a bit more and my guy is still a Muslim. As it turns out you can choose your heir by simply gifting the son you want to take over a title. It's that simple. No need for gavelkind or elective nonsense. It makes things so easier it takes away a lot of the headache from having too many titles.

As a consequence it's been better for my guys to concentrate all Duke titles and remain at that level with a one county Christian King as a liege... I also get to use Muslim conquest so I don't even need a claim to declare war and take over neighbouring counties.

The only drawback is that I can't go for a full scale invasion of a kingdom but I'm also not a target for Holy Wars and Crusades.

I've been thinking things over and I do believe I need to keep expanding so when I'm able to make the jump to the next level I will be strong enough to crush any attempt at a Crusade against my realm or I will need to switch religions but that would mean having to deal with a more complicated succession process. Still if I can make the jump to Emperor level it shouldn't be a problem.

Bottom line, considering the current situation I have very little to gain from moving up to king level. I've been taking counties from Burgundy (which is the Kingdom I'm part of), Italy, Germany, Austrasia and Romagna for decades now. France is a bit too big for me just now but all the other kingdoms are small enough not to represent any threat (unless they band together). I've been careful not to poke the Byzantine Empire just yet though.

Dealing with Count level vassals is so easy compared to ambitious Dukes and the simple fact that Muslim characters can hold temple titles makes it a lot easier to manage the realm.

Plus since I'm not worried about losing some counties to lesser sons I can focus on investing in holdings in these counties and make sure the ones I'm keeping are getting enough improvements.

The only drawback is that it makes for a more military focused game when I've always enjoyed playing the diplomatic game and getting ahead without waging war. It's probably not so bad because it forces me to change things a bit instead of resorting to old habits.

The cherry on the cake right now is that I'm playing the Devil Spawn so I get the Duchy of Terror thing (seems to be some sort of flavour) and I've managed to get to the top of the secret society so I unlocked the Birthright achievement. The one thing I don't really care about is all the over the top traits so diplomacy and general opinion are pretty much useless. It does get a bit silly to be honest but then I have the Black Plague, the Mongol Hordes and the Sunset Invasion to look forward to in the (hopefully) not so near future. Good times ahead!
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2019 10:07 pm

I got the Child of Destiny event... As far as I can tell it's part of the latest DLC and it basically turns a child into a new Alexander the Great:

Spoiler:

His father kicked the bucket after becoming King and I was lucky enough to get the event for the kid. The childhood years were pretty uneventful but let's just say that after two decades of playing with this guy I now have a Bloodline and an Emperor title.

Did I mention that you get an Invasion Casus Belli with that line of events? It may feel like rolling a die at times and for a while I couldn't get an heir but then things began to take a better turn (having four wives does help).

I took over Austrasia, Germany and France. Poking the Byzantine bear sounds a bit risky, Jerusalem and Rome are too much of a high profile target and I can't attack Aquitaine because of the current truce. I don't feel like crossing the sea to get in England (it's just too much hassle). That leaves a few other options. The Aztecs are not too much of a threat so far but I could try and take them out.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 2:02 am

Holy sweet baby jesus! Your character has 44 in martial? That's insane! Laughing By the way, what's up with the grapes thing? I don't have that in my interface.

(side note : I had to revert to a previous patch because the recent one screwed up my game. It created a bunch of counties with no character owning them.)

It's nice that you were able to navigate your dynasty through a difficult path, religion wise! From your description, it makes me think of my game. It seems muslims and vikings offer similar options.

If I were you, I would hold on Byzantine and go after smaller targets to bolster your strength. And wait for internal turmoil before striking.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 11:23 am

The grapes icon signals a decadent relative who needs to be reminded of the tenets of Islam. If you let decadence go too high your realm may end up breaking up. It's a matter of concern because I landed male relatives do contribute to the decadence score so either you land as many of them as possible or you get rid of them. The problem with landing them is that they tend to have several wives and as a consequence more kids...

The major difference with Christians is that you can avoid breaking up your realm when inheriting titles but females dynasty members are not as useful since you can't get matrilineal unions to draw talented guys for your council. Basically they're useful for the traits they can pass down or as councillors (if you can take the opinion hit and get the option) and for alliances.

My guy has a crazy martial score but his personal combat rating is even higher than in the screenshot. At one point it got over 200...

Right now I need to tread carefully. I hope he'll live long enough to take away Aquitaine. In the meantime I should pick on easy targets. The Byzantine are rather strong now and much much larger than Burgundy. Plus the Aztecs did hit the Muslims in Spain pretty hard so I can't count on allies on that side.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 11:51 am

To elaborate I think the biggest difference has to do with inheritance and the fact you don't need to reform your religion.

I was lucky that I was able to use my liege to shield me for quite some time while being strong enough that he couldn't take my titles away.

To be fair when I did take over the kingdom I was vulnerable and when I became the target for a crusade I did switch to Catholic to avoid losing everything. My main guy lost a few titles in the process but since he was still a Muslim I didn't have to switch back.

The religious issue is still a concern not only because of Christian vassals but also religious dissent among Muslims. It's definitely going to pose some problems. Although getting the event in which the Assassins offer to murder the target of my plot against a fee is very cool.

Last but not least, Muslims can hold temple holdings (they even get extra piety from these) so it means you get much more income compared to a Catholic ruler. Getting as much money as possible really helps increasing your retinue, improving your capital and building great works. Not to mention hiring mercenaries which is something that saved my hide a number of times.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2019 6:15 pm

Very interesting. I never played as a muslim. It's something I'll try to keep in mind for another play through.

My longest game so far is with my Vikings, but many aspects of the game is not available for me, as I can't 1) make alliances as all other Vikings are already under my rule and no catholic in their right mind would ally themselves with Vikings. And 2) I can't marry outside of norse characters, as we're "filthy pagans", so making claims out of birthright is next to impossible.

Keep me updated on whose butt you will kick next! Smile

Last edited by Triactus on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Will do! Smile

I like the diplomatic game a lot and that's why I usually stick to Catholic rulers (or Orthodox ones especially rising up to Emperor level without waging a single war).

I think it's more difficult to rise up through war with a Muslim. At least with Vikings you may get lucky and get a break but if you're the underdog I can't see many ways to move up as a Muslim. At a Duke level things are different but a lowly Count may be stuck for a much longer time.

I didn't plan on my game taking that direction but it's been interesting to say the least. Wink
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2019 3:34 am

The legend of the Great Scandanavian Empire continues :

I stopped playing CK2 in large part because I was having so much trouble with my great holy war against Carpathia (not even that it was incredibly hard, it was tedious as helllll). I decided to forgo that plan (or else I would never continue my game) and reloaded a save before I declared war against Carpathia.

Anyhow, I decided to only wage one war, a holy war for the Brunswick duchy, held by the Carpathian revolt. I blietzkreig the hell out of it, since the clock was ticking (Carpathia was winning against the revolt). Soon enough, I came out ahead a finally joined Danemark with my French counties. I also nabbed the last remaining norse holy site (now, all five are under my control). The war's success also greatly enhanced Empress Gyrith's reputation, endowing her with the nickname "the Great". A reputation she eched on a runestone.

Gyrith the Great did a little spring cleaning and used the opportunity to invite to her court and land (out of the newly acquired counties) two future councillors (spymaster and scholar). Plotting her moves while waiting for her threat level to go down, she noticed an opportunity. Her relationship to the newly unified Carpathia's leader wasn't too bad, considering. After showering him with gold and jewels, they established a good rapport. Good enough to suggest that his second teenage son and her teenage daughter ought to marry. The Emperor agreed, and so Gyrith the Great knew a bold new future awaited her, without Carpathia to defend their catholic friends (she hoped) as a non aggresssion treaty would likely stop him from interfering.

Alas, the Pope knew something was afoot and declared a crusade for the norse held Austrasia territories. With most catholic rulers entering the fray (with the notable exception of Carpathia), Gyrith knew there was no time to lose. The strategy that helped them before would save them again. Putting all her troops onto boats, they sailed alllllll the way to the Mediterranean Sea and landed at Rome's doors. While the catholic crusaders were wreaking havoc in the central Europe norse territories, Gyrith's troops held fast and successfully besieged papal holdings after holdings. Soon enough, the Pope contacted her : he surrendered and cancelled his crusade.

Rejoicing was somewhat shortlived. She noticed her new friend in Carpathia was gone, as was her non-aggression pact : the emperor had died of severe stress. His eldest son inherited the empire at 17 years old. Yet, hope was still alive : the new emperor's brother was still betrothed to her daughter. But alas, yet another carpathian civil war emerged. This time, 90% of the empire wanted to overthrow the new emperor.

Knowing Carpathia was occupied and that the catholic religion had just been kicked in the balls, Gyrith knew that the bold held the future. It was time for a Great Holy War. This time, the kingdom of France was targeted (actually, the northern half of real life France. The bottom half is held by the Kingdom of Aquitaine in my game). The trumpets of war sang, the troops marched off. Italy, Aquitaine and the last three remaining Austrasia counties joined France. Most norse vassal joined their Empress. The battle was joined. A few French armies fell, so did a few northern counties.

By this time, the betrothed couple hit 16 and could be married off. Carpathia and Gyrith agreed and so starts an official non-aggression pact. But more than that, by showering the now 19 year old emperor with gold, Gyrith is able to convince him to form an alliance. As formal allies, she could actually call Carpathia into the French Invasion (!!!). But not wanting to distract them from their predicament, she let them fight their civil war. Gyrtih pressed on and soon enough, France is became Norse!  Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 88613

A major cleanup will have to be done (Gyrith went from 9 personal holdings to 123... Laughing ), but she wanted to secure her newfound alliance. Just before ending her French war, she offered the carpathian emperor her help in defeating his malcontents. He's been basically stuck at the 30-35% war score zone against the revolt, but her entering the fray will make his war score rise soon enough. Because she was already engaged in a war when she joined that one, she will be able to count on her already raised troops. But that will be a tale for another day.

Here's the new map, just before I quit the game. Me's blue, of course. Orange is Carpathia, dark orange/brown is the Carpathian revolt :

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2019 6:23 am

Fascinating. Quite the unexpected turn of events.

Just be careful not to help Carpathia too much. It's worth it as long as you're the one that expands and not them.

This is a truly great game!
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 6:55 pm

Hehe, indeed. I wasn't sure my non-agression pact would pay off and wrote it off once I saw the leader I made the pact with died off. But once the couple married, it "reactivated" it. It also allowed for an alliance which I was convinced they wouldn't go for. As I was fighting the French, the alliance was made official and the option to bring in Carpathia in the war poped-up. I nearly died laughing. Laughing  I so wasn't expecting that.

I don't know for how long it will last, though. I assume once either leaders, or even either of the married couple, die, then the alliance will fall apart. I also won't be able to make another big splash like the conquering of the French. I think the Great Holy War is one in a lifetime thing (or once every 40 years). I will have to scale back to attacking duchies and counties.

I'm also well positioned to integrate the newly conquered French territory. I will undoubtedly have a few revolts, but all my empire, save six of seven counties, has converted to the germanic religion. There is basically no unrest anywhere. I will be able to concentrate my efforts in France.

By the way, I was expecting a much harder fight against the French crown. Their allies, Italy, Aquitaine and Austrasia, were pretty much MIA, so I was only facing French soldiers. I had three stacks of 15 000 ish soldiers attacking the northern coast. I only fought French armies two or three times. Otherwise, it was juste besieging holdings. At 5% war score per holding conquered (including temples and cities), and at 15000 attackers, they fell pretty quickly. I never got much further than two counties from the coast before the king surrendered.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 8:25 pm

Well, nice to see things are going smoothly. Just be wary of current friends becoming foes once you move to your next leader.

That's the one thing that I find really callous about the game, i.e. the fact that once you switch to a new character the guys who might have been your previous ruler's cronies become the biggest threats for your new guy.

It gets even worse when these guys are not of your culture and religion.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 8:40 pm

Yeah, tell me about it. I know that pacts and alliances were built on marriage ties, but there should be an option to make it work after previous conditions unravel. Like "hey, the previous alliance was beneficial for both of us. Want to make it work again?". As it is, you have to build it up again.

For that matter, there should be a "history" modifier. Like, let's say you're the French and have been allied with the Italians for a generation or two. You two have fought many enemies together. There should be a positive relationship bump between characters of those two nationalities, that decays after a while of not being allied. Historical allies should make for easier friendships. The opposite should also apply. Kingdoms that have been continuously at war should have a negative relationship modifier (kind of like the Federation and Klingons, in Star Trek. It took tremendous diplomacy over years for them to stop hating each other (and even then, both parties tried to assassinate those wanting to make lasting peace)).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crusaders Kings 2   Crusaders Kings 2 - Page 17 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crusaders Kings 2
Page 17 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next