Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Prisoners - Film Review I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Prisoners - Film Review I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Prisoners - Film Review I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Prisoners - Film Review I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Prisoners - Film Review I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Prisoners - Film Review I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Prisoners - Film Review I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Prisoners - Film Review I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Prisoners - Film Review I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Prisoners - Film Review I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Prisoners - Film Review I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Prisoners - Film Review I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Prisoners - Film Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

Prisoners - Film Review Empty
PostSubject: Prisoners - Film Review   Prisoners - Film Review I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 2:23 pm

It is Thanksgiving.  Two families get together and celebrate; their young daughters go outside and disappear.  Suspicion falls upon the driver of a van that was seen in the neighbourhood, but when brought in for questioning, no link can be established; the forensic search of the van yields no evidence the girls were ever inside it.  So, the suspect is released back into society causing a suspicious father, who is driven by a promise to protect his family, to become enraged.

On the surface this is a simple premise for the drama that unfolds, but the film script from Aaron Gulzikoski slowly unravels a nihilist and vengeful tale of retribution and depravity.  At times, this is a dark and uncompromising film which asks an uncomfortable question of its audience – how far would you go if your child was abducted and you were certain information was being withheld?  However, for every action there is a consequence, so arguably the film is supportive of Law and Order rather than subverting the concept.   Instead we’re presented with a convoluted tale that I felt asked its audience to understand the motivations and actions of the girl’s parents, rather than supporting or condemning them.  Yet, despite this there is a moral tone to Prisoners that definitely resides with civilized, rather than savage, behaviour.

The acting in this film is of a high standard.  Performances are generally believable and the complexity of the central characters is explored within the film’s premise.  Hugh Jackson’s performance as a man who’s drive to rescue his daughter leads him to take extreme measures, felt slightly overplayed to me, but the disintegration of his moral perspective was well realised.  Jake Gyllenhaal plays the detective who is trying to find the missing girls, whilst attempting to juggle the demands of a father against police regulations.  This is a strong well nuanced performance in my opinion.  

Due to the structure of the narrative and the manner in which Prisoners was shot, the audience are able to be one step ahead of the detective, which creates terrific tension as you watch the film.  The viewer becomes aware that clues have not been seen, important snippets of conversation disregarded.   This manner of information is there from the beginning of the film, so everything you see and hear can be filtered and understood as the story progresses.  Consequently this isn’t a fast paced movie; rather it’s one which steadily builds up to a climax.  

Praise is due to the film’s director, Denis Villeneuve for clear and constructive cinematography.  This is an organised movie that reveals the layers of the story without dumbing down the material, or the audience.  However, as substantial and solid the sum of its parts are, as much as I’m pleased to have seen it, Prisoners makes for a gruelling ride into parts of our psyche most of us would hope we never face.
Back to top Go down

Prisoners - Film Review
Page 1 of 1