Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Dishonored I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Dishonored I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Dishonored I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Dishonored I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Dishonored I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Dishonored I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Dishonored I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Dishonored I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Dishonored I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Dishonored I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Dishonored I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Dishonored I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Dishonored

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 11:17 am

I've just bought the Goty and I'm surprised nobody ever mentioned this game at the saloon.

It's a stealth/action story driven FPS set in a steampunk world (it's not an RPG per se because you don't get to pick the guy you're playing but that is not necessarily a bad thing).

You can manipulate your environment and choose different tactics (lethal, non lethal, stealthy, hack and slashy or rather swashy buckley).

It plays a lot like a steampunk Deus Ex HR and besides technology you also have magic and powers. Just like in Deux Ex HR combat makes you feel badass but you're definitely not invulnerable.

The game is absolutely gorgeous and the environments are superb. The gameplay is incredibly smooth. The only drawback is the presence of quest markers (but parts of the HUD can be turned off).

I haven't been far into the game yet and I do intend to take my time enjoying my first playthrough. I just wanted to say that so far I'm finding it even more fun than Deus Ex HR.
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 9:45 am

I'd love to play this game but it's FP only and I suspect I'd struggle with motion sickness. However, there are some FP games I can cope with due to their pace and movement speed not being too frenetic. One example is Arx Fatalis which I can adapt to.

Is this a fast paced game Cara or does the fact it's a stealth game mean the pace can be, or is slower than most action games?

cat 
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 11:19 am

It's not hectic at all but I get what you mean. Back in the late 90s I had to stop playing Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior because of motion sickness. I could never play more than an hour.

Now things seem to have improved quite a bit. the new Fallouts have rekindled my interest for the genre and I've been able to play Rage, Hard Reset and Call of Juarez Gunslinger (awesome Western game btw) without feeling sick or dizzy at any time.

When it comes to Dishonored I think it's not worse than Skyrim or Fallout 3. The stealth mechanics mean that you have to take your time. There is a power that allows for some sort of teleportation but it's instant so it may be ok.

Here is a gameplay video showing the very beginning of the game, bear in mind that watching this may be much worse than actually playing the game (because you control the camera, a bit like people who never get sick driving a car but do get sick as passengers).

I've watched a gameplay video for Arx Fatalis and I don't find it less jittery but it's hard to tell for sure.

Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks Cara, I'll have a look at this when I've a bit more time. Right now I must  Dishonored 438168 
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 1:54 pm

No problem Sue. Exploration is also a big part of the game. You can eavesdrop on bystanders, read books, look for hidden stuff and it really feels rewarding. I haven't had much time to play the game yet but I really like it so far, the art direction is a bit cartoony (especially for character models) but in a nice way and the voice acting is pretty good (there are some big names like Lena Headey, Susan Sarandon, Brad Dourif and Michael Madsen).
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 6:29 pm

By the way Arkane Studio, the team responsible for Dishonored is the same team that made Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and I've just found out that their HQ is based in Lyon the very city where I live.
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 6:44 pm

I struggled to watch the video but, from what I did see, the game looks super. I'll keep an eye out for when it's next on offer and give it a go when it's a bargain.

cat 
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 7:56 pm

It will probably be a few quids on the next big sale. It is an amazing title with a great steampunk atmosphere and some really badass gameplay.

Exploration is great, plenty of clues to pick up, books, safes to crack; it's great fun.

I haven't been too sneaky so my game has turned into mayhem and carnage but it's still awesome. Smile
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 10:51 pm

I have bought the new Thief game and I have heard a crapload of comparaisons to this game. Thief is great, so might be worth checking out if it's so similar.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 11:03 pm

Well I haven't played Thief (almost bought it but I'm waiting for the price to drop a bit since I'm in no rush and I've already spent too much money on games lately) but I've read many good things about it.

In Dishonored you can choose between stealth and violence (that can get pretty graphic at times). You also have some magical powers. I'm not the most patient guy so it's a relief for me to know that I can go on a rampage if I get bored and play a more serious stealthy game if I feel like it later on. I've also bought the latest Hitman at a discount so I'm looking forward to improving my general sneakiness quite a bit. Wink
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 6:11 pm

There is a 75% sale at GameFly at the moment, Dishonored is only £2.49 in the UK (not sure that deal is available abroad). At that price it's a real bargain.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 7:35 am

I got my hands on the GotY edition of the game... on sale at an electronics store.

The comparaisons to Thief 4 are justified. Two different, yet similar games. I do like the freedom you get of killing pretty much everything you want, unlike Thief where this was not an option.

This game has got it's claws on me just like Thief did. I have just began but this is one hell of a good game!
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 12:57 pm

It's a great game and you can also go for a non lethal (more challenging) route if you're so inclined.

People keep comparing Thief to Dishonored because the similarities are obvious but they also have some pretty significant differences.

I haven't finished it (yet) but that's the sort of game I'm taking my time to enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 5:05 am

I just finished the game. I went the high chaos route mainly because I liked murdering everyone and their grandmother.

A very satisfying experience, top to bottom.

Spoiler:

I used a combination of Darkvision, upgraded Sleep bolts, the Rat Swarm power. I also did quite a lot of drop assasinations.

I think I will have a hard time going back to Thief 4 after playing through Dishonored. Nonlethal is all well and good... But killing everyone and their dogs is so much more satisfying.

Definitively worth the price.
Back to top Go down
dragoniguana
World Savior
dragoniguana

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 12:14 pm

The chaos mechanic of this game really bothers me. Seriously, I absolutely hate it and it's the only thing putting me off from playing it at the moment. It's a game that says "hey, you can play this game however you like, except if you don't do it the exact way I want you to you can only get the worst ending and none of the characters can be happy ever!". I'm not great at stealth, and sometimes (a lot of the time) I put myself into a position where I need (or just want) to kill, yet if I want the good ending, I have to play in a way that I have a very hard time with.

It makes sense in-story, I suppose, but that could have been worked around. I almost feel cheated by this bullshit, especially since I notice that most of the really fun powers/items can only come into play if you plan on killing people.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 9:24 pm

As long as the story makes sense I'm happy. I don't mind having to deal with a so called bad ending in a game as I tend to consider that the good endings in which your character ends up saving the day and all the little puppies from burning buildings tend to be rather unbelievable and simply reinforce the impression that I'm playing a game. I'm not just talking about Dishonored.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 4:54 am

Try as hard as I can, non-lethal just bores me out of my skull. It works in Thief 4, but I can't bring myself to play more than one chapter in nonlethal... especially not after discovering the fun of Devouring Swarm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dishonored Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dishonored   Dishonored I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dishonored
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Belle Sakura Saloon :: The Gaming House :: The Hole in the Wall-
Jump to: