Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Why Trailers (usually) Suck

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Why Trailers (usually) Suck Empty
PostSubject: Why Trailers (usually) Suck   Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 3:08 pm

I hate watching trailers because they are boring, predictable and filled with spoilers... You get all the best lines and all the best scenes in 120 seconds so why should you "waste" 120 minutes on the movie?

A perfect example of what I've just said. Once you've watched the trailer it's almost as if you've already seen the film.

Another example of a trailer that gives too many things away. I also remember another version of the trailer that spoiled the very last scene of the movie (which is pretty bad considering that last scene is simply hilarious).

It doesn't mean that some trailers can't get (almost) everything right but they are incredibly rare!

Now that's what I call a great trailer. The first half is just very clever considering how well it presents the theme of the movie and the second part of the trailer shows off some of the action sequences (something that is common for trailers) but it doesn't showcase all the best lines. You do get enough to whet your appetite but you don't get everything from the trailer.
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Why Trailers (usually) Suck   Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 6:55 pm

Yeah, trailers suck. Quarantine's trailer features the very last seconds of the movie. :/ But you also have to realize the culprit isn't the movie itself, rather the marketing team that works for the studios. Their jobs is to promote the movie, so they don't care about story or atmosphere. They just want to have people in the cinemas.

I remember an interview with Brian Singer, looking back on The Usual Suspects, which he directed. He had to fight the studio (and their marketing team) to change the trailer, as the trailer depicted the movie as a sort of funky comedy, which isn't what the movie is about AT ALL.

Here's proof that you can make a trailer say anything. Someone made a trailer of The Shining, recut it as though it were a romantic comedy... Laughing

Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

PostSubject: Re: Why Trailers (usually) Suck   Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 7:17 pm

Oh that is just brilliant.

cat 
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Why Trailers (usually) Suck   Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 8:13 pm

Here's a couple more funny fake trailers :

Stephen Kings' IT as a family film

Mrs. Doubtfire as a horror movie

Or Fill Metal Jacket as a feel good movie

Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Why Trailers (usually) Suck   Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 8:29 pm

Yes, marketing is evil. I've watched the trailer for the Queen of the Damned and it was really bad. It had that ludicrous "trailer voice" (you know the type of narration) and made all the campy/goth stuff look even worse by putting all of it in sequence. Ghastly.

Some trailers can confirm (misleading) first impressions:

You may not believe me but Zardoz is actually one of the best science fiction movies I've ever seen. You just have to be able to look past Sean Connery's outfit.

What is really great is when we get some fake trailers that turn out to be just awesome!

With all the biopics that have been made lately, this one doesn't look farfetched at all.

Better than Scarface!

And last but certainly not least:

Kirk Lazarus is definitely the greatest character actor.  Razz 
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Why Trailers (usually) Suck   Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 8:45 pm

The one with Mrs. Doubtfire is just incredible. Smile
Back to top Go down
RYUchan
Visitor
RYUchan

PostSubject: Re: Why Trailers (usually) Suck   Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 5:44 am

Oh come on, there are some good trailers. Look at this one.

Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

PostSubject: Re: Why Trailers (usually) Suck   Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 9:05 am

I love the Mrs Doubtfire one too.  

How about this trailer......

Oh, and this one.....

Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

PostSubject: Re: Why Trailers (usually) Suck   Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 9:19 am

@ Cara  John Boorman is a highly underrated director.

@ Ryu - is that from the 70s?  It reminds me of some of the trailers I saw in that period.  Love the sound effects  Very Happy

I loved all those trailers, they're more fun than the films  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Why Trailers (usually) Suck   Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 12:07 pm

@Ryu: Godfrey Ho made so many movies that are just incredible. Wink

@Sue: I couldn't get through Hunger Games. I actually gave up after 30 minutes. I liked Lawrence in Winter's Bone, First Class and Silver Linings Playbook but not in that one.

I've watched some crappy movies in my time but there are some movies that make me feel life is way to short to be wasting time on them and Hunger Games was definitely one of those (and I hated Space Cowboys in the very same way, couldn't even finish watching it). To be frank I didn't care that much for Battle Royale but at least it was worth watching.

Considering trailers being better than the actual movie, I believe this is another example:

Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Why Trailers (usually) Suck   Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 1:02 pm

Carabas wrote:
Considering trailers being better than the actual movie, I believe this is another example

I hated Prometheus. I loved Alien and Aliens, but Prometheus was just a badly written shock fest.
Back to top Go down
RYUchan
Visitor
RYUchan

PostSubject: Re: Why Trailers (usually) Suck   Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 5:17 pm

Hunger Games is an atrocious pile of garbage.

There is a lot of violence propaganda, a lot of social degenerative programming, there is feminism based bullshit and it is boring as shit. Any way you look at this movie it is absolutely terrible and disgusting to watch. I'm disgusted with the ideas of this movie, I'm disgusted with the rating of the movie PG-13 (are they completely out of their minds?), I'm just simply digusted.... screw Hunger Games  Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Godfry Ho is one of a kind Smile
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Why Trailers (usually) Suck   Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 6:24 pm

If you deconstruct a blockbuster or a bestseller it's possible to end up with some pretty disturbing analysis. Reading the first Harry Potter book left a bad taste in my mouth because of all that talk of a superior race of magic users opposed to the muggles. I understand the rest of the series clarifies that point but I didn't care enough to read more of that.

Talking about funnier stuff here is my favourite scene from Godfrey Ho's Ninja Terminator:

Back to top Go down
RYUchan
Visitor
RYUchan

PostSubject: Re: Why Trailers (usually) Suck   Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 7:04 pm

That is because Harry Potter is full of a certain social programming. I think it is a misconception - that if analysis of some pretty common stuff like say Harry Potter is diturbing, than it must be you are who is overanalysing. No, it is because media is a lot more than just entertainment. Certain programs are pushed into the mainstream to create certain behavior or thinking process, especially in teenagers who didn't fully develop their model of reality.

I think you should watch a fan series called Ninja: The mission force, they truly are the best parody on Godfry Ho Smile

The fight at the end of the episode is hilarious.

If you know Ninja Terminators you will understand the humor in those series :)If you know why all the bad ninjas have NIN-JA on their bandanas you sure did watch a lot of Godfri Ho movies Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Trailers (usually) Suck   Why Trailers (usually) Suck I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Trailers (usually) Suck
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Belle Sakura Saloon :: The Saloon :: The Silver Screen-
Jump to: