Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Really Weird Games

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 6:45 pm

You know, the kind that make you go "Whaaaaat?!!" before actually smiling with unfeigned glee.

I should mention Zeno Clash and its incredibly weird aesthetic reminiscent of some paintings by Hieronymus Bosch (some of the characters look like they could have escaped from one of these paintings). The story is definitely out there especially considering that it's a first person game in which you punch people in the face. It's almost too weird (but in a good way).

I've not played much of the Void but I do believe this game belongs in this category (or this genre) the premise is not only strange but very disturbing. I don't think it's for everyone (well that can be said of most games) but it's really compelling visually. Although it was made by the same studio I can't say the same about Cargo the Quest for Gravity because that game actually freaks me out. Surreal is fine but I draw the line at incredibly creepy.

Speaking of outlandish games I may also bring up Killer is Dead. Very few games have such striking visuals. Add the Japanese voices, over-the-top anime characters and the rather controversial mini-games and you have a serious contender.

Betrayer is another odd game that drops you in the middle of nowhere and let you find out what is going on. If that wasn't enough there is that striking decision to play the game in black and white with red being the only colour (you can add other tints if you really want to). It could have been a simple gimmick but it works very well.

Last but not least I think I should write a few words about Deadly Premonition. After reading about how weird this game is I've finally decided to give it a try. Graphics are not impressive in the least but the game has some really weird atmosphere. Let's say it's the closest you can get to Twin Peaks with a video game. The protagonist is incredibly odd in ways that can only remind us of Special Agent Dale Cooper.

For example here is a cutscene right at the start of the game (I've just started playing):

Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 8:04 pm

MDK, Natural Fawn Killers... but LSD Dream Simulator (?) is easily the weirdest shit I ever played.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 10:02 pm

I remember MDK. Nice one.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 2:16 am

LSD dream simulator is some seriously wacked shit. I rented it once and played for a few hours and all I could think while playing was "WTF this is WEIRD!"

Carmageddon also comes to mind. Not that weird but definitively controversial and definitively had me saying "Whaat"?
and smiling with glee. Still does, damn it's awesome
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 10:20 am

Carmageddon was so much fun and it probably holds a place in this category even if it's not as outlandish as some of the other games in this thread.

For instance here is a trailer for Betrayer:

The game looks very crisp maxed out and there is a colour palette that can be used.
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 12:02 pm

Oh I do hope that has a third person option - it looks amazing.

A really weird psychological horror game is one called Anna, but it's best to play the extended version as it fleshes out the story better.

In Anna you're trying to unravel what has happened to the woman you love and what your role has been. It's really creepy, messes about with time and has some good jumpy moments.

Another strange but very involving game is The Lost Crown which appears to be an ordinary point and click adventure on the surface, but your encounters with the towns folk are very out of the ordinary and the ghostly encounters also lift the game into rather different territory. Well worth a play.

cat
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 4:51 pm

Interesting, I've never even heard of these games. Smile

By the way the Void is incredibly cheap at gamersgate right now. It's cheaper than a snack or a cup of coffee.
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 5:30 pm

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291710/

The trailer is a pretty good indicator of what to expect Smile
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 9:48 pm

Looks creepy. I did give Outlast a try for a few minutes. I'm not a big fan of horror games but I must confess it's effective. Definitely not my bag but some of my friends just love it and I can understand the appeal. Have you tried it Sue?

I much prefer a game like Lucius in which you play a character who looks like he comes from the Omen. I don't know many games in which you can play a creepy six-year-old kid who doesn't talk and stares at people (to begin with). Definitely the most evil character imaginable but it doesn't make for a scary game.

Back to top Go down
Nauthiz
Demon
Nauthiz

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 3:53 pm

Aaaah, all the best ones are weird.

"The Cat Lady" seems quite similar to what "Anna" sounds like. Genre-wise, it's a more or less typical point-and-click adventure game. The setting, however, is part paranormal, part psychological horror with some magical realism thrown in for good measure. I found it bloody frightening, unexpectedly stirring and oddly uplifting.

By the way, do Twine games belong here, or should I start a new thread?
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 7:27 pm

Oh yeah Cat Lady, I haven't finished that one yet (I don't think I was in the right mood).

Rune wrote:
By the way, do Twine games belong here, or should I start a new thread?

Both options sound fine to me. You decide. Wink
Back to top Go down
Nauthiz
Demon
Nauthiz

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 10:34 pm

Hah, finished it one night when I ran out of save slots. 'Twas quite possibly the most intense and rewarding nerding experience I have ever had.
a minor spoiler :

Carabas wrote:
Both options sound fine to me. You decide. Wink

I think I'll start a new one, then. Hypertext is always kind of specific and should be discussed in a separate context, methinks. Smile
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 10:50 pm

Good call, more threads lead to more fun. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 4:28 pm

Steam have a pretty good week long sale on but one game in particular should appeal to some of you here.  It's The Lost Crown

[url=http://store.steampowered.com/app/291710/]

This game has some seriously creepy moments.  You end up investigating a haunting to gain answers to a mystery you've become embroiled in.  The events which follow take place in a seaside town which holds some strange characters.  There's quite an emphasis on the paranormal so if you play this in the dark with headphones you'll find yourself pretty freaked out at times.  

The VA isn't wonderful and the movement takes a little to get used to - it feels clunky and a bit limiting at first - but I found I acclimatised to both of these aspects and became totally immersed in the narrative.  At only £2.09 it's a steal.

cat
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 5:48 pm

I got this one in a bundle but I haven't played it yet. I'm going to move it up on my list, thanks for the recommendation Sue. Smile
Back to top Go down
Nauthiz
Demon
Nauthiz

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 9:48 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen (also Roguesses and Scoundrels, of course),

Hierofania. It was... well, weird, for one thing, with the desolate world and the creepy art. Beautiful, at least to me. A somewhat important experience, like reading a good book one could relate to. Giving a clear description would spoil the story, but the question it asks could be phrased thusly: in a world where Gods walk amongst their followers, handing out boons and powers, would you stay faithful to the one that remains absent and silent?
Back to top Go down
Nauthiz
Demon
Nauthiz

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Ah... and lest I forget: a pidgeon dating sim, anyone? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatoful_Boyfriend
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 8:38 pm

Speaking of weird simulators... how about a bread simulator? Living, crawling bread that must become toast in creative ways. Like smashing a telly with a bowling ball and toasting on top of the burning telly.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327890/
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 6:36 am

Man you're toast! Razz
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 6:43 am

I heard that the studio who made this game made a crossover with Goat Simulator... even more bloody stupid Laughing
Back to top Go down
Nauthiz
Demon
Nauthiz

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 3:55 pm

I found Episode 0 of Cave Cave Deus Videt! weird and very engaging. I do not particularly care for the style of drawings, but the writing definitely made up for it. Hieronymus Bosch is definitely fascinating.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 5:08 pm

Quote :
Hieronymus Bosch is definitely fascinating.

Definitely an understatement. Smile

This sounds really interesting.

By the way, it's not incredibly weird compared to some of the other games in this thread but Apotheon is a really unique game (the sound is absolutely phenomenal).

Considering that the Christmas Steam sale is almost upon us it may be worth keeping an eye on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Really Weird Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Weird Games   Really Weird Games I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Really Weird Games
Page 1 of 1