Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Age of Decadence
by Carabas Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:07 pm

» Crusaders Kings 2
by Carabas Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:37 pm

» Far Cry 3
by Carabas Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:39 pm

» Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom
by Carabas Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm

» Rise of the Argonauts
by Carabas Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:37 pm

» The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians
by Carabas Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:53 am

» Carmageddon Max Damage
by Carabas Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:35 am

» Dex (Cyberpunk RPG)
by Carabas Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:54 am

» Tyranny [no spoilers]
by Carabas Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:41 pm

» Mass Effect Andromeda
by Carabas Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:48 am

» Fallout 4 Mods
by Carabas Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 am

» DAO and DA2
by Carabas Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:38 am

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 39 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:37 pm
Statistics
We have 42 registered users
The newest registered user is hellsheep

Our users have posted a total of 25111 messages in 638 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:43 am

IMO Morrigan is misunderstood. It's easier for her to have a purely physical relationship because she has a hard time coping with the idea of becoming attached romatically to another.

I've met women like her in real life. Morrigan is not a shrew, she doesn't know what love is and when she finds out that she loves the Grey Warden it is simply too much for her.

In many ways she is like Viconia. She is strong willed and she doesn't want a weakling or a puppy. She is certainly not caring and while she keeps pretending that she doesn't care about others she eventually ends up caring about the Grey Warden.

Falling for the Grey Warden is something that goes against her instincts and her upbringing. It's also something that she can't accept because she knows that it will end badly, she knows that there is no future for her and the Grey Warden.

She is a deeply flawed human being but she is also a very tragic figure.

Alistair is actually based on Xander from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It may explain why he is used for comic relief most of the time and why he avoids being put in charge no matter what. Wink

RYUchan
Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:58 am

Nakia the Rogue wrote:
Morrigan is a strong, independent person raised in an unusual environment. She would probably not be interested in having a relationship, health or otherwise, with someone. What she wants is power. She and Alistair represent opposites. She the dominant personality he is the submissive personality.

Well this is not healthy in my book Smile It's more than ok for the game but in RL such power craving is the signs of abnormality. And a strong person for me is the one who can ballance power, domination and love in one person. "Strong" but power craving person for me is another extreme type that is inferior to a whole ballanced personality type.

Story wise the whole Morrigan romance and her disappearance in the end is brilliant. But speaking about RL as we started doing. Then this is complite BS because you dated a woman, you wasted you time and emotions and in the end you gain nothing Smile
Back to top Go down
Trip
Psycho Princess

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:13 am

Hmmph. I suppose we all have our own reasons for looking at people and their history like we do and a discussion about a video game is probably not the best place to go into it Laughing

And the Lord said to John "Come forth and receive eternal life" but John came fifth and won a toaster

Carabas said I'm adorable and he's the boss so you all have to listen!
Back to top Go down
RYUchan
Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Silvery wrote:
Hmmph. I suppose we all have our own reasons for looking at people and their history like we do and a discussion about a video game is probably not the best place to go into it Laughing

Hehe I agree lol!
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:52 pm

I agree more with Cara's assessment of Morrigan. I don't think Morrigan is inherently evil and misanthrope. She just doesn't know any better because, let's face it, she lived her whole life with an evil witch dragon... Kinda hard to develop social experience. She has no clue how to love and I think the romance brilliantly illustrates that. She runs not because she doesn't want to love, but because she is scared to have that love and lose it. At the end of the game as well as in Witch Hunt, she's clearly distraught about leaving and it hurts her, but she's saying "it's for the best". They also point at a hidden agenda with Morrigan, the whole arch-demon-baby thing, which would be why Morrigan wants to leave (alone). In my game, she was trying to shelter my character from that because she knew if he came along, it would change him for the worst, like she admired him and didn't want him to change. (But there's a way to have Morrigan finally accept the main character in her life, at the end of Witch Hunt)

Last edited by Triactus on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Real life relationships are complicated. I think Morrigan is believable as long as you keep in mind that nothing in her life has lead her to imagine that her life could turn into a fairytale.

Quote :
She runs not because she doesn't want to love, but because she is scared to have that love and lose it.

I think you've summed it up pretty well Tri.

She'd rather not love because she doesn't want to be hurt. Casual relationships are easier for her because they mean nothing. She is not taking chances so she is not getting involved emotionally and there are many people like that in real life.

Triactus
Emperor

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:39 pm

Carabas wrote:
She'd rather not love because she doesn't want to be hurt. Casual relationships are easier for her because they mean nothing. She is not taking chances so she is not getting involved emotionally and there are many people like that in real life.

That's what I liked so much about the game romance with Morrigan. She begins to experience, for the first time in her life, respect, love, friendship. And she doesn't know how to deal with these emotions because they were never the case with her mother, the only other person she had a relationship to. It has a real life ring to it.

RYUchan
Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:54 am

Just to clarify, I never ever thought that Morrigan is evil Smile There are no really black and white characters in DA:O and it's a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Indeed, moral ambiguity is the best thing about this game. Wink

Trip
Psycho Princess

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:01 pm

Well, my plan to play through this game with all the different stories has been thrown to Hell.
A mate asked if she could borrow my PS3 copy and I told her to keep it as I had the PC version. Well, in return she's gone and bought me the Awakenings disc. I know it was very kind of her but I'd deleted the saves of each game when I finished them so now my OCD is dictating that I have to re-do them all and play the damned expansion!
Yes, I don't REALLY have to do it but it's going to niggle at my mind until I do.

Don't even know how to install a bloody expansion pack either. I guess it's just an automatic thing when you put the disc in? Do I need to have the original disc in or the Awakenings one in when I get to that bit?

Plus, as it was a gift, I can't re-sell it for a while in case she asks Sad

Ah well, it's something to do on a night I suppose

And the Lord said to John "Come forth and receive eternal life" but John came fifth and won a toaster

Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:40 pm

You can install awakening at any time, not just before starting it. You can also start Awakening directly with an Orlesian warden (that you create yourself) without going through DAO first..

Trip
Psycho Princess

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Yes but that's not the point. I've told you, if I start playing it, I have to play ALL of it...so that includes importing every character of every background and a new one Sad I'm quite clearly a freak!

Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44 pm

And I thought my chronic restarter syndrome was bad... Sad

analog_relic
Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:08 am

I think Silvery's case of restartitis is the worst I know of. AR
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:56 am

Not to mention that DAO doesn't help with so many different origins...

Nakia the Rogue
Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:55 am

I had a lot of fun doing the Origins. Very Happy So I restarted quite a few times. For me the Origins were the best part of the game.

Trip
Psycho Princess

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:31 am

Still think they all whine too much *mumble, mumble, mutter, mutter - bloody whiney arsed do gooders - mumble, mutter*

Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:12 am

Silvery wrote:
Still think they all whine too much *mumble, mumble, mutter, mutter - bloody whiney arsed do gooders - mumble, mutter*

Or in Morrigan's own words:

Trip
Psycho Princess

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:19 am

That's the bunny, bunny

Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:28 am

Morrigan is so cute and the smartest one in the bunch. Has the best lines.

Triactus
Emperor

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:26 pm

Yeah, but not the sexiest voice... Leliana... *drools*.. I love you

RYUchan
Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Nakia the Rogue wrote:

No way the smartest is the main character tongue
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:52 pm

RYUchan wrote:
Nakia the Rogue wrote:

No way the smartest is the main character tongue

Very Happy Hokay, the smartest companion or NPC character.

Leliana. irritated me. I just could not stand her.

ComplexityBrit
Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Tue May 21, 2013 6:06 am

*pops up* I hope that you'll forgive me for the slight necromantic post, I did say to Nakia that I'd appear here when I had some time to breathe, it just so happens, I do have a small gap which allows me the luxury of posting.

DA:O is, and shall remain for the foreseeable future, my favourite RPG. It has the slightly dubious honour of being the first game to ever see me go out of my way to purchase all the DLC and complete every single facet of it. I am a primarily console gamer, as consoles are cheaper and games of them are of a similar qualities regardless of the game, thus I've found it cheaper over the years (as has my family) to nurture my PlayStation fondly.

Dragon Age Origins saw me love the game so much that I went out of my way to get every single PlayStation Network Trophy: even if siding with the cult of Andraste and the Werewolves sickened me to do so, I done it. Other choices, were not so hard- I could justify the "better safe than sorry" attitude for letting the Mages die, as well as the belief that there was no proof Bhelen killed his brothers, although I did find the Branka/Caridin point harder but I finished both sides with ease as there wasn't really any way to save them both, plus more would have suffered had the Anvil survived. I generally try and save as many people as possible, and do right by as many people as possible.

This is my normal choice list:

1. Side with the Mages
2. Side with the Dalish (defuse the situation with Witherfang and convince Zathrian to release the spell himself)
3. Side with Harrowmont, Caridin.
4. Use a Lyrium ritual with the Circle to save Connor - that way, no one has to die.
5. Side with the Guardian and kill the Cultists.

Dragon Age: Origins is a game that tests my moral viewpoints on issues and I avoid making any decision that I disagree with, but my inner-perfectionist came to the surface and made me experience everything the game had to offer.

Not just being satisfied with having the complete collection on the PS3, I also bought the Ultimate Edition on Steam, during a sale - for £10 I think, well spent considering how much it cost for me to assemble the collection on the PS3 piece by piece.

Back to top Go down
http://www.lordravenclaw.com
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   Tue May 21, 2013 6:57 am

Hi CB, Glad to see you. Great post. We don't don;t mind a little Necromancy here. We aren't that old yet. Very Happy

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion   

Back to top Go down

Dragon Age:Origins My Opinion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Belle Sakura Saloon :: The Gaming House :: The Lonesome Cowboys :: The Grey Rangers-
Jump to: