Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Crusaders Kings 2
by Carabas Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:22 pm

» Far Cry 3
by Carabas Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:39 pm

» Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom
by Carabas Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm

» Rise of the Argonauts
by Carabas Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:37 pm

» The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians
by Carabas Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:53 am

» Carmageddon Max Damage
by Carabas Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:35 am

» Dex (Cyberpunk RPG)
by Carabas Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:54 am

» Tyranny [no spoilers]
by Carabas Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:41 pm

» Mass Effect Andromeda
by Carabas Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:48 am

» Fallout 4 Mods
by Carabas Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 am

» DAO and DA2
by Carabas Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:38 am

» Fallout New Vegas Mods
by BlackZarak Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:54 am

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 39 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:37 pm
Statistics
We have 42 registered users
The newest registered user is hellsheep

Our users have posted a total of 25081 messages in 636 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
BlackZarak
The Architect

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:34 pm

Throw? No, I'd rather slip it to you myself Laughing

Last edited by BlackZarak on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:37 am

I tried, Trip-Sil but it kept landing in the big pond. Grandma Rogue is getting a bit weak I guess.

Triactus
Emperor

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:14 pm

Oh jeez, I hadn't seen this thread. Internet < vacation time < alcohol. So I haven't been online much in the past two weeks.

Welcome, Rune! Long time no see!

So my audience for all the silly things I say just got bigger.. mouahahaha. jocolor

Nauthiz
Demon

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:44 pm

Heya, Triactus. How have you been? Smile

Ah, this feels like coming back home. A slightly dysfunctional, merry, carnival-all-year-round home with a well-stocked basement. Glorious! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:42 pm

Been good Rune! How about yourself? I saw on the babbling thread that you're an undergrad. What field are you studying in?

Nauthiz
Demon

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:13 pm

Archaeology. Smile It's disheartening and sometimes awkward to still be an undergrad at 26, but 'tis what I get for choosing another character class.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:35 pm

Nice! Nothing against still be an undergrad at 26. A lot of people change careers and go back to school. I was lucky enough to change career with the same diploma. Smile But I liked university. I definitaly would have gone back if I had the money (living expense plus tuition is just too expensive).

Do you know the fantasy author Steven Erikson? He wrote the Malazan book of the Fallen series. His background is in archaeology and you really get a feel of the echoes from previous civilizations, that one civilization piles on the ruins of another. (and IMO, the Malazan series is one the best fantasy I've ever read).

Trip
Psycho Princess

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:31 pm

Rob went back to college at 36 Smile

And the Lord said to John "Come forth and receive eternal life" but John came fifth and won a toaster

Carabas said I'm adorable and he's the boss so you all have to listen!
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:53 pm

And I started my degree when I was 37

cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.wabbit.co.uk
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:41 pm

Never stop learning whether it be formal or informal. Never stop questioning, seek the unknown and you may live as long as I have and be just as pesky. Smile

Nauthiz
Demon

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:01 pm

Awww, you guys! <3

Triactus wrote:
But I liked university. I definitaly would have gone back if I had the money (living expense plus tuition is just too expensive).

Heh, fortunately enough, one does not have to pay for tuition here. One of the few advantages of living in this country, because seriously, I find the social climate rather detrimental to what's left of my mental health. Thanks for the vote of confidence, by the way Smile! And for the book recommendation. Have not read it yet, but now I want to. And yes, archaeological knowledge does affect one's world-building skills. Most people only mention an extensive knowledge of history as a must for any fantasy writer, but honestly, it does not even begin to cover the problems one will face when creating a world.

Trip, awesome! What is he in? And you, Sue?

Nakia the Rogue wrote:
Never stop learning whether it be formal or informal. Never stop questioning, seek the unknown and you may live as long as I have and be just as pesky.

Thank you. Really, thank you. Your words mean a lot... and they strike a chord with me Smile. Ah, that calls for some T.S.Eliot (again) taken out of context (again) :

"We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time."
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:22 pm

I studied for a Humanities degree which was a mixture of English and History.  I focused on theatre and film where I could and my dissertation was a one person play which I wrote and then performed using 2 very different performance styles.  In the written section I compared them (Stanislavski and Brecht).  

I also really enjoyed the English options of my degree, especially Post Colonial Literature and Creative Writing (which a group of us fought for as the University decided at the end of the first year to stop doing it as a second year option due to a lack of tutors). The theory content of the English half was fascinating - I loved Barthes and some of the anthropology was very relevant to theatre - ritual etc.

I then went on to do a Masters in Humanities, focusing on Popular Culture theory and film.  Where I could, I wrote about horror and Vietnam war films - 2 cinematic passions of mine.

I totally agree with Nakia's comment and although poor health has prevented me from doing what I intended with my qualifications, I try to use them where I can.  There are no theatres near me but I have a fab independent cinema where I live.  The guy who runs it is a horror film buff so I'm in good company Very Happy

cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.wabbit.co.uk
Trip
Psycho Princess

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:50 am

That's a bit of a sore point!

He left his job and took a year out to spend time with me and Ashley, then he went to college for 3 years to study IT network support. 4 years of him not working meant that we were in a bad place financially. He got a part time job to get some experience in the field and then........decided to go back to his original job!

That's the short version. Let's just say I wasn't particularly happy with him

And the Lord said to John "Come forth and receive eternal life" but John came fifth and won a toaster

Carabas said I'm adorable and he's the boss so you all have to listen!
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:39 pm

T.S.Eliot spelled backwards is kinda funny.

Sorry for being a bit naughty, I do love The Waste Land among other things so I don't mean anything by that. Wink

Sue77 wrote:
I loved Barthes

My first experience with Barthes was disappointing. I first picked up Mythologies when I was 8 expecting stories like Greek and Roman or Egyptian myths and all I got was something about Marlon Brando and a baffling cover featuring a Citroën DS (an obvious play on words since "DS" is pronounced like "déesse" the French word for "goddess" but it took me quite a few years to realize that). To this day I still (jokingly) blame my mother for letting that book lie around. study

Rune wrote:
It's disheartening and sometimes awkward to still be an undergrad at 26, but 'tis what I get for choosing another character class.

I first started studying biotechnologies and food industries (specializing in cheese making) before going to university to study English literature and what we call "civilization" (which is a mix between cultural studies, politics, history, a bit of art and pretty much everything but the kitchen sink).

So I think I get what you're saying. Wink

Nauthiz
Demon

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:06 pm

Sue, whoah, that's really impressive. I mean, sorry to hear about your poor health, but damn, humanities! Theather! And you making the most of your situation! Sounds pretty badass. And stylish, which is quite probably the best combination ever. I admit I harbour somewhat similar dreams; was planning to enroll in one of those private music schools that teach opera singing, but decided to take the local equivalent of a second major (history) for a more rounded set of qualifications instead. Now I just take singing lessons whenever I can afford them, but in a few years, who knows? Very Happy

Trip, uh, I'm a terrible person for chuckling at this (and, generally speaking, not only for that, but let's at least pretend), but... Heh. Heh. Heh. Laughing

Carabas, ha! Would you actually believe that in my ten years of mentioning that name whenever possible I have never noticed? Ah, 'The Wasteland'. I still can't get over how magnificent it is, how true, how acutely beautiful. Or how aptly the motto was chosen. Or 'The Hollow Men'. Or 'Rhapsody on a Windy Night". Or that one bit in 'Whispers of Immortality'. 'And saw the skull beneath the skin'. I just... ah.

Heh, there's nothing like unleashing one's inner Marianne Dashwood on the unsuspecting Internet. *regains composure and walks away casually*. Wink

By the way, do you know James V.B. Thompson? His 'City of the Dreadful Night' strikes me as quite similar to 'The Wasteland'... albeit of a more innocent cast.

Carabas wrote:
I first started studying biotechnologies and food industries (specializing in cheese making) before going to university to study English literature and what we call "civilization" (which is a mix between cultural studies, politics, history, a bit of art and pretty much everything but the kitchen sink).

Heh, it sounds like a seemingly reasonable choice dying a miserable death after a fierce duel with a dream. And so it should be! Wink
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Quote :
By the way, do you know James V.B. Thompson? His 'City of the Dreadful Night' strikes me as quite similar to 'The Wasteland'... albeit of a more innocent cast.

The name rings a bell but I can't place it. I have to look into this. Thanks Rune. Very Happy

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?   

Back to top Go down

...What do you mean I need permits for this dig?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Belle Sakura Saloon :: The Front Desk :: Saloon Guest Book-