Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) Empty
PostSubject: The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS)   The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2015 7:36 am

I thought I would copy Sue and make my own review. But it will likely just be a rant... Laughing . I just saw Star Wars : The Force Awakens (Literally. I just got home) and here are my first thoughts. Bare with me. I might be too hard on the movie or too soft. We'll see when I get more distance with it. And sorry if this is a long post. I have many things to say. Smile

As the title says, this post will contain many spoilers, it's written for people who have seen the movie already. I will write the rest of this post in spoiler tags, but I'm not responsible if you read on anyway. And the replies to this post (if there are any) might contain spoilers as well, so you're warned.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

PostSubject: Re: The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS)   The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2015 9:08 am

I loved your review Tri. Really enjoyed reading it over breakfast. The beauty of writing reviews is it's your opinion that's expressed and it's great to read something that's not totally up a fanboy's bottom.

We have a program called 'Film 2015 (2016 soon) and all the critic presenters loved the film - no attempt at pulling it apart there. I remember thinking the special effects looked decent, but I was wondering how the story hung together from their discussion/glorification.

It will be interesting to see what my brother makes of this film. He's a complete Star Wars nut. His wife is a Trekkie - which makes for some interesting times when discussing the relevant films Very Happy.

cat
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS)   The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2015 9:16 am

The missus is also a diehard Star Wars enthusiast so I will prolly end up being dragged to see it. FML.

At least it's not more LoTR bollocks.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS)   The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2015 6:33 pm

Thanks Sue! I didn't reread myself. I hope there weren't too many spelling and grammatical mistakes. Smile Are you a SW fan? Have you seen the movie? Is your brother's wife a fan of the newer Star Trek movies? I am angry that JJ Abrams has destroyed what Star Trek stands for. I saw the trailer for the new ST movie and I facepalmed when I heard Beastie boys playinf amids many explosions. That's not Star Trek!

Skorp, haha! I loves the first LoTR trilogy. But I haven't seen the Hobbit movies. I think it's rather insulting that they made three 3 hours movies with a book that's less than half the length of Fellowship of the ring. It screamed "MONEY GRAB" to me.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS)   The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2015 4:31 am

LoTR is bollocks. It's three bloody movies of people walking to a sodding volcano. I don't understand why the missus likes it, it's bloody boring
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS)   The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 11:47 pm

Peter Jackson messed things up with both, he didn't understand the source material.

The latest Star Wars movie is derivative and sucks despite some good acting (Finn and Kylo Ren stood out). The leading lady is the worst Mary Sue ever. The story makes even less sense than the old movies. It's all incredibly pointless.
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS)   The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 11:56 pm

Well, glad I passed on it then. Doesn't look like I missed much

A bigger Mary Sue than Saerileth?
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS)   The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 5:40 am

Much worse but a bit more likable which doesn't make her less painful to watch. To quote a friend of mine she does walk on water. She can't fail and as a result we are no longer concerned about her fate or what happens to her. The bad guy who is supposed to be a badass gets his ass handed to him it's ridiculous and it made me feel bad for the actor who does the best he can with a bad script.

Bottom line just like Tri I'm not buying it and watching all that makes the previous movies look like freaking masterpieces (even the new trilogy and that includes Jar Jar Binks and pinball Yoda). I didn't expect anyone could be worse than Lucas with his ham handed direction but it's definitely the case here.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS)   The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 1:31 pm

I didn't even think any actors were good in that movie. To be fair, I wouldn't say there are bad acotrs. It's just the script that's horrid. The Finn humour seemed too forced to me, I didn't buy it.

What baffles me more than I can say, is why on earth would a studio that is plunging hundred of millions of dollars in a production NOT hire a good scriptwriter?? Saying that doesn't make sense is an euphemism. It was the same criticism I had for Avatar. Why does big budget movie have to equal poor script? I understand studios don't want to make a Star Wars that centers around a character that must confront the parents that abused him as a child or a Star Wars that's about the meaning of life in a war torn country. I get it. But having 50 plots holes is just unacceptable. It reeks of lazyness and greed.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS)   The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 6:01 pm

Why should they bother with scripts? These days all you need is a young female playing the leading role of the gifted girl who can't fail. It's the old chosen one thing all over again. I'm not pissed because they are girls, my problem is that they are the chosen ones simply because of their genes, some prophecy or both. It's the same thing with Divergent and so many movies these days.

Luke was something of a chosen one but he still had to train and even then he would get his ass kicked and end up being maimed.

What Abrams and his pals don't seem to realize is that you can't have a hero that is so perfect because it makes everything boring.

Rey is a terrible character because she can't fail. Anakin was almost as bad but his pride was his undoing and he was his worst enemy (plus he got a serious defeat at the hands of Count Dooku). Rey doesn't have that flaw. Her only problem is her abandonment issues and that's not a big deal considering that despite being stranded on a desert planet she knows all there is to know about flying and repairing the Millenium Falcon but also enough of alien languages so that she understands droids and Chewbacca... Plus the first time she uses a lightsaber she is able to defeat a Sith who was known for killing all of Luke's apprentices.

The sad part is that she can't grow as a character. Luke did grow during and between movies. In a New Hope he is a talented but rash teenager who dreams of flying but in Return of the Jedi he has become a Jedi knight and is more mature.

There is absolutely no room left for Rey to grow in such a way.

The sad part is that Kylo Ren suffers as a result. He is not a menace at all but he comes across as an angry brat with daddy issues. I actually like the way he was portrayed by the actor who brings some vulnerability and plays convincingly the turmoil of a character who is at odds with himself, alternating between senseless rage and soft spoken remarks that are quickly followed by more rage. There may be some teenage angst at play but it works at least until he gets beaten by a skinny young girl with no formal training. It's hard to take him seriously after that.

Finn is flawed because considering the conditioning he must have endured it is highly unlikely for him to act like he does. His other problem is that he is totally irrelevant because Rey doesn't need him for anything (she already has her pet wookie, her spaceship and by the end a mentor). The same goes for Poe the pilot who is just a sidekick.

In the original trilogy supporting characters had reasons for sticking around but that's simply not the case here.

Last but not least the Starkiller weapon is so overkill it's ridiculous. The original Death Star was enough going beyond that is just being silly...
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS)   The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2016 12:00 pm

There is one big thing we haven't tackled yet and that's the fact that the last movie makes the entire trilogy pointless. The Alliance is now the Resistance but that's pretty much what it boils down to (and the Empire is now the First Order). Defeating Palpatine didn't put an end to Stormtroopers and Death Stars. Luke's attempt to bring back the Jedi order didn't work any better than Obi Wan's attempt to train Anakin. In many ways Luke failed just as his mentor had failed before him. It's disheartening to consider that everything that happened in the original trilogy is negated by the status quo that the new movie keeps underlying. Why even bother?

It doesn't help either that the big bad guy is a nebulous alien looking shadow devoid of any of the features that made Palpatine interesting in both trilogies. The bad guy does come across as the weakest link. It's hard to feel anything when all you're seeing is a cgi villain that come across as incredibly formulaic.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS)   The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2016 1:19 pm

I agree. I think you hit the nail on the head with two words: "status quo". Studios hate change. I guess they wanted the SW universe to feel like an old shoe and have it exactly how it was last time we saw it. I think it would have been so much more interesting to have the roles reversed (i.e. the rebel alliance is now the governing body while the remainants of the Empire are the rebels). It would have been an easy way to start on a new basis while keeping beloved characters.

Same thing with Han Solo. Having him back in the smuggler scoundrel role cheapens his character arc from the trilogy. It's as if he didn't learn anything from the previous movies.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS)   The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2016 2:18 pm

Definitely, it's the reason why I didn't care when Han Solo
Spoiler:
because he had turned into an embarrassment and a failure. There were so many expectations regarding his character after Return of the Jedi, seeing him act as a smuggler was such a letdown.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS)   The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Force Awakens - review/rant (SPOILERS)
Page 1 of 1