Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Empty
PostSubject: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 7:11 pm

I'm posting my first impressions about the game (after playing for a few hours).

First I ran into some problems trying to launch the game, I had to switch to compatibility mode to solve that issue (but at least it works).

The game doesn't look incredible compared to current games like say the Witcher 3 or Dragon Age Inquisition but it has a few things going for it. Character customization is rather nicely implemented and makes for a whole variety of faces and body types (and yes height and weight are actually factored in the game).

What is striking is that the game aims at a more realistic look instead of the cartoon aesthetics or anime bias that can be found in games like Kingdoms of Amalur or Dragon Age 2 for instance. This may not look like a big deal at first but once you get into fights with monsters it really makes a huge difference.

The game feels like a lot of backtracking and a lot of fetch and carry missions at first. There is also a lot of stuff to collect and gather. It's rather a staple of the genre so it's not surprising or thrilling.

The language tries hard to sound a bit old fashioned but it's not as annoying as in say Two Worlds.

Right from the start it feels like an old fashioned game and that's not a bad thing. After playing a few hours it's growing on me and I can say I'm hooked. While the game keeps reminding me of many other games it does its own thing.

I can safely say that combat is much better than in the Witcher 3. It puts to shame most games in the fantasy genre. There is a dynamic feel that I haven't found in any other game since Kingdoms of Amalur and it goes even beyond what this game offered. There is something extremely satisfying in fighting some huge monster by jumping on its back to stab it over and over, dodge the attacks, roll out of reach before rushing to get back on top and make your way to the monster's head to stab it where it hurts. That's something very few games offer and I don't know of any game in which it flows as naturally and doesn't feel scripted.

The story doesn't seem too outlandish considering it's a Japanese game. It has a chosen one routine which is something that we can't get away from unfortunately but from what I've seen so far it's doing an ok job. The Japanese element may help keep things fresh.

So far I'm really enjoying this game. It may not look like a 2016 game (it's not) but it is very pleasing.

Last but not least the whole pawn mechanic brings some freshness to what is a purely single player experience.
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 9:47 am

I've been playing this and enjoying it, as well. It's all about the combat. To me, it's like Kingdoms of Amalur and Dark Souls had a baby. The pawn system is an interesting way to add a social component to an otherwise single player game.

You can rent Steam friends' pawns for free, so feel free to add me if you want. My Steam ID is CorvusCallosum. My main pawn is currently a support mage, though I'll probably be giving her a few levels of warrior to boost her HP.

Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 12:16 pm

It's all about combat and exploration for me. I keep reading comments about the lack of story but I really enjoy the atmosphere in this game. What we get in terms of story is rather compelling and I enjoy the sheer possibilities that are offered in terms of quests. Failure is an option and there are ways to mess around in the game (taking shortcuts, forging items).

The comparison with KoAR and DS is rather apt although I personally enjoy it a lot more than DS which I tried to like but ended up being all about frustration whereas DDDA can be challenging at times but remains fun.

I will add you (I go by gloomseeker on Steam). I did start over after 20 hours in order to come up with a better start and make the most out of the early game so my new guy is only around level 11 (started as Fighter this time around to get more HP from the first 10 levels and I'm currently using the Assassin vocation). My favourite vocation is probably Strider (I like the dashing attack with swords but double jump, better mobility and archery is what I enjoy the most) so I'll probably end up maxing this one out. As a result my Pawn is a support Mage (who looks a lot like a Halfling) but I may add yours for support and switch my little guy to Sorcerer for a change (I like the idea of the innocuous looking little guy raining magic fire on enemies). It all depends on how fast I can bridge the gap in levels as I'm not a fan of relying on overpowered followers.

What Vocation/build are you going for? Hybrid classes look awesome and I would have loved making a Magick Archer of my little guy but pawns can't have access to these classes.

Here is a picture of my first guy who was a Strider:

Spoiler:

And one of my new guy:

Spoiler:

The main reason why I did start over was to get the most out of the first 10 levels (these first levels have more of an impact on your character build) and make a taller character simply because if you're not sprinting speed is highly dependent on size (my new guy at 1.99 moves a lot faster than my previous guy at 1.81). Considering all the backtracking and the absence of horses it turns out to be more important than I first suspected.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 12:47 pm

I just had a look at your pawn, she looks great. Smile

I'll have to catch up in terms of levels before adding her to my party but I like your spell and inclination choices, perfect for a support mage.

I've been considering adding augments from other vocations to my Mage. I've already picked the first one from the Sorcerer but I may dabble with some Fighter levels for the extra HP (although I'm not sure that it would pay off in the long run).
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 12:50 am

Thanks. Smile My character is an Arya Stark inspired stick-em-with-the-pointy-end type. She started out as a Strider, then took some Sorcerer levels, before switching to Magick Archer. MA is a lot of fun to play. It's a lot like Strider, but with much more powerful archery. I can knock down large groups of enemies at once.

I'm going to try out the other hybrid classes as well. They seem to be the most fun.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 8:06 am

She's really cute! Smile

From what I've gathered so far going for Magick Archer means that it's the magic ability that matters the most so starting as a Mage is the best way to get the most of the first 10 levels (there is a threshold at level 10 and another one at level 100). Striders do have the best Stamina values early on so it's not necessarily a bad choice either.

After starting over I noticed I had a much easier time with my Fighter compared to my Strider. I guess foreknowledge may have factored in but there is also the fact that having a little more HP makes a huge difference early on. I'm currently playing as an Assassin and getting the most of both classes this way (I still intend to make him a Strider after unlocking the augments I want).

Here is a picture of my pawn:

Spoiler:

I'm still trying to find out how to make him more effective in combat (and not just a healer) but I've grown quite fond of him.

Last but not least don't forget to back up your save from time to time. Saves are stored in "\Steam\userdata\[your user reference number]\367500\remote" so backing up the remote folder may save you some trouble down the line (you may not need it but it only takes a few seconds to make a copy just to be safe).
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 11:56 pm

I didn't really have a plan when building this character, so she's not going to be optimal. She's a Mystic Knight, now. Here she is with Kiu and another friend's pawn.

Spoiler:

You can use this tool, http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma/mods/40/?, to make backups of your save. I just run it after having played to back up my most recent version of the save file.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 7:10 am

Nice, I should definitely get Kiu new pants... Smile

I'm really enjoying this game a lot. Roisin is being a great help allowing to focus Kiu on offensive stuff instead.

I'm over level 30 now and I no longer feel like switching pawns every other level.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 12:45 pm

Here is a shot of my party with Kiu, Roisin and a Warrior pawn:

Spoiler:

I think they look good together, especially now that Kiu has got some new boots (I got him some new pants now but he was still wearing the old ones on this picture).

I've been fighting cyclopes and the two spellcasters are really having a blast with those big hulking brutes. Feels like my Arisen is just posing around with his huge sword, trying to look cool. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 4:09 am

Nice screen. Yes, they seem to work well together, with Roisin buffing the party while Kiu dishes out death and destruction. I'm currently giving Roisin some levels in Warrior to increase her HP and give her some defensive augments.

I'm doing the Wyrm Hunt quests, now. I've spent most of my play time so far doing side quests.

EDIT:
Every time I visit Gran Soren, I throw this kid in the fountain.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 12:08 pm

He looks a bit fed up with it Kana! Laughing

Is this game purely a singleplayer, or are there other options?

cat
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 5:35 pm

That's a very funny idea. Is it Pip? I had fun with the side quest Land of Opportunity. Going for the "good" ending felt much more in character for my guy.

I've been focusing on side missions before tackling the main missions as well (I didn't want to miss out on quests by rushing through the story). I've completed the Wyrm Hunt when I last played on Friday. Things got pretty interesting after that. Smile

I did give one level of Warrior to Kiu so he could take advantage of the Bastion Augment early on. I'm thinking of switching him to Strider in order to boost Stamina a little (Kiu has maxed out Mage and Sorcerer). I think the version of Roisin in my party is around level 30. I will probably keep her a while so I can benefit from her Mage support (she does a splendid job of keeping my merry little band alive).

The game is purely single player but you get to borrow followers made by other players. You create your main character and a follower and then you can recruit two other followers (some are predetermined by the game but most are made by fellow players). The nice thing is that you can hire a friend's follower (or pawn) for free regardless of the actual level (normally hiring higher level pawns is very costly in terms of Rift points which you can get when completing missions or when your pawn gets hired by other players).

There is an incentive in making an interesting pawn so he or she will get hired more but that's the limit of multiplayer in this game.

While your pawn is hired by other players he or she will be able to learn about enemies or quests that are unknown to you so later on when you go through some quests he or she may have some insight worth sharing (you can also look for pawns that are knowledgeable in order to get such hints in game).
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2016 10:19 pm

Thanks Cara. This game sounds interesting and fun. I added it to my wishlist a few days ago, but was beginning to wonder just how much interaction there would be between players. My love is definitely single player games, so I'm glad to hear Dragon's Dogma fits the bill.

cat
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 8:26 am

Just wait for a sale. That's the clever option. I don't regret buying it but considering how many games I have yet to play I should have waited.

The game is fun but I'm not sure I'm fond of the ability to switch between classes at will. This will take away any incentive to go through the game a second time. I did start over after twenty hours so I already know that replaying through the beginning of the game doesn't make any difference. Still it's not that big a deal considering it's not a short game especially if you're enjoying the exploration.
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 5:26 am

That kids name is Tomlin. I guess he has a quest associated with him, but I haven't got to it, yet. I haven't had much time to play this week, but I'll be getting back to it this weekend, hopefully.

Here's another screen of my character.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 5:45 am

Throwing a kid in a fountain? it would seem that you have a slight bully side, Kana Wink

Last edited by MegaZarak on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 6:42 am

Nah, he enjoys it. Razz
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 7:39 am

She's looking good. Smile

It's a pity they don't have too many options for helmets when it comes to light armour types.

I also think that they should have found a better way of implementing the DLC bonus stuff. Getting so much free stuff right at the start breaks the economy of the game. I guess it doesn't matter all that much in the long run but still.

That's the one thing I can come up with, other than that I find the game is just good fun.

I'm still wondering what I'm going to do with Kiu. He is actually doing quite a good job as an archer.

Switching vocations around brings up so many options it's bewildering. Choosing which Augments to use is not always easy.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2016 5:40 pm

It's been a while since I've played this game and I'm going to give it another go. My last game is a bit hazy so I don't mind starting over. I also have that crazy notion of making my Pawn my character's doppelganger. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2016 7:08 pm

I got this for Christmas. As soon as my visitors go home....... Smile

cat
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2016 1:22 am

I've created my new character:

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen 914914-1483146853

I actually modelled him after myself (as well as I could considering the limitations of the game) so he is 1m80 and weighs 97 kg which in this game is something of an advantage (the heavier you are the less likely you are to be knocked down or carried away). Razz

I'm using the Sharp and Clear ReShade to make the game a bit crisper. The setting is not too saturated and not as washed out as vanilla so it's a nice change of pace.

My main character is named Carabas and his pawn is named Sabarac and I've made an exact copy so he can look like his doppelganger or his twin. Carabas is a fighter and Sabarac is a mage (at least for now). It's a bit weird but it's actually fun.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2017 12:56 am

It would seem my new playthrough is doomed. My inventory is glitched and I can't access consumables or the lantern anymore which means I'll have to start over... I wonder whether the ReShade thingy is to blame since I never had that problem before using it. It's a bit disappointing but fortunately I had only reached level 8 so it's not such a big deal.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2017 1:07 am

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2017 1:31 am

Uncool BZ, you're getting tons of bad karma. Razz

Besides I hate the Simpsons and posting memes is beneath you. Where is the wit? Any fool on the net can come up with a one picture post, there is nothing clever about it.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2017 2:41 am

Tons of bad karma? Just dump it on top of the lifetime supply I already have, if you can find room for it that is Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next