Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Titan Quest Immortal Throne
by Carabas Today at 1:30 pm

» Crusaders Kings 2
by Carabas Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:18 am

» Divinity: Original Sin 2
by Carabas Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 pm

» Assassin's Creed Origins
by Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:14 pm

» ChinaDroid review - VKWorld Mix Plus
by BlackZarak Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:40 am

» Why the original Fallout is still my favourite game 13 years later
by Carabas Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:59 pm

» Fallout 4 Mods
by Carabas Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 am

» Fallout: New California/Project Brazil
by Carabas Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:43 am

» XCOM 2 First Impressions
by Carabas Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm

» Mods for Skyrim
by BlackZarak Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:27 am

» Age of Decadence
by Carabas Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:07 pm

» Far Cry 3
by Carabas Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 39 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:37 pm
Statistics
We have 42 registered users
The newest registered user is hellsheep

Our users have posted a total of 25557 messages in 643 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Windows 10 -- one caveat with hardware upgrades

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BlackZarak
The Architect

PostSubject: Windows 10 -- one caveat with hardware upgrades   Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:24 pm

So as you all know I am in the process of building a new machine for myself. I did a bit of scrounging online, to see if I could clean reinstall Win10, because the complete hardware change will require a reactivation.

Win10 does not give you a licence key, and instead ties it to the hardware/installation ID. So in effect, if you do a massive hardware upgrade like I did, be prepared to roll back to 7 and then re-upgrade to 10.

So yeah, looks like once my backup is done, I'm going to have to whip out the old DVD drive and reinstall 7.

This, to say the least, is a major inconvenient. My copy of 7 was a RETAIL copy, ergo I am LEGALLY allowed to install it on as many bloody computers I want. Yet, that's not good enough, and I have to useless jump through hoops to reinstall.

Collector

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 -- one caveat with hardware upgrades   Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:34 am

MegaZarak wrote:

My copy of 7 was a RETAIL copy, ergo I am LEGALLY allowed to install it on as many bloody computers I want.

Hmmm, you seem to be living in an imaginary world where things are the way they should be.
Been building my own PCs since 2002, i remember i had to call Microsoft AND LIE in order to get a new activation code to install my retail copy of Windows XP on a newly built PC.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 -- one caveat with hardware upgrades   Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:36 am

Thank you for letting us know about this;

BlackZarak
The Architect

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 -- one caveat with hardware upgrades   Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:26 am

Quote :
Hmmm, you seem to be living in an imaginary world where things are the way they should be.
Been building my own PCs since 2002, i remember i had to call Microsoft AND LIE in order to get a new activation code to install my retail copy of Windows XP on a newly built PC.

Huh. Funny, this "imaginary world" looks pretty damn similar to reality.

I am a certified tech, and both my WinXP and Win7 retail licenses were used for four different PCs, and NOT ONCE have I had an issue with activation and neither did I had to call MS.

Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 -- one caveat with hardware upgrades   Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:51 am

I personally call MS BS. If more games came with Linux support I would seriously consider switching to this OS instead.

BlackZarak
The Architect

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 -- one caveat with hardware upgrades   Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:55 pm

There's WINE, but it's pretty steep on the hardware and it's not exactly rocket science.

But yeah, given the opportunity, I'd switch to BSD in an instant.

Reinstalling 7 was a clusterfuck -- first it whined about partitions, and not being able to install on that drive, so I dug a bit and found a solution... which wiped my HD completely. Not that I really gave a toss, having backed up what I needed, but still a pain.

Have I mentioned that Windows Update for 7 is broken out of the box? I had to jump through hoops and do a bunch of shite just to get the bloody mandatory 231 updates I needed. Should be able to reinstall 10 later tonight, though I think I will get a new, 1TB secondary HD so I don't lose everything again.

Now I also have a shite ton of Steam games to redownload. Including that sodding 25GB Fallout 4.

On the flip side, this build is ridiculously silent.

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 -- one caveat with hardware upgrades   

Back to top Go down

Windows 10 -- one caveat with hardware upgrades
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Belle Sakura Saloon :: Arcanum :: Where you can find help with the magic of modern technology.-
Jump to: