Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Mass Effect Andromeda

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Mass Effect Andromeda Empty
PostSubject: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2017 10:44 am

Don't know if you are interested in this but there are some goodies that can be obtained if you sign up for the Andromeda Initiative and watch some videos about the game with your Origin Account:

https://www.masseffect.com/en-gb/andromeda-initiative

I don't know if there is a deadline for this (the game is supposed to be released in a few weeks).

The freebies are a special helmet and a skin for the land vehicle (apparently you only have to sign up for the newsletter to unlock the skin, the videos are for the helmet).
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 8:40 am

Played two hours last night and I don't get what the fuss is about. The internet is going full retard on the animations in this game when they are serviceable and frankly not worse than any game made by Bethesda (and much less buggy than Assassin's Creed Unity on release).

What really pisses me off about all the Mass Effect Andromeda bashing on the internet is all the people who are raving about the Witcher 3 and how superior it is when in fact it had many glitches that took more than a year to be ironed out (Geralt's horse losing its tail is just an embarrassing example that comes to mind).

Besides having played the previous Mass Effect not too long ago (I've finished Mass Effect 3 with the modded ending the other day) all I can say is that it looks a lot better than the previous games (1 has aged a lot, 2 has some serious lighting issues and 3 has some very wonky animations especially if you played Femshep).

Sure, I wish they had made some better looking hair but I'm not forgetting that Mass Effect 3 was a serious step back after Mass Effect 2 (especially when it came to hair) and Andromeda is probably not worse than Dragon Age Inquisition in that respect (unfortunately it's not better).

Bottom line it looks and feels like Dragon Age Inquisition in the Mass Effect universe which is exactly what I was expecting.

Combat is fun though and that's something I've never been able to say about Inquisition.
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 9:37 am

Skyrim, also, had and still has more than its fair share of weird animation glitches.

I think there is just a sizable group of histrionic pinheads on the internet who have it in for Bioware for political reasons. Bioware is an SJW company, I'm told. They have brown people and girls with short hair in their games, which is evidently part of some conspiracy to emasculate white men. At least, that's the gist I got from Reddit. The stiff facial animations are just an excuse to attack the company by way of attacking the game, I think.

I have Andromeda and have played some, too. The combat is quite fun, with the addition of the jump jet and the removal of sticky cover. In that regard, it's a clear improvement over the previous games. Like you said, it is basically Dragon Age: Inquisition with enjoyable combat. The similarities in terms of structure are undeniable.

It's not going to be remembered as a classic, I'm sure, but it also not the calamity some on the net would make it out to be.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 1:05 pm

Too early for me to tell if it will go down as a classic but truth is it's a fun game that ticks all the right boxes as far as I'm concerned. I'm not expecting it to be mind shatteringly innovative or anything (I leave that to indie games) so I'm not disappointed.

That nonsense on Reddit is shameful and shameless. Insecure dicks (both literally and metaphorically) who can't accept that some people may enjoy characters who aren't pasty white or of a different gender or sexual orientation.

The world is a big place and if anything Mass Effect doesn't come near representing all the different ethnic groups that make up humankind (not sure it's their sole objective though).

In any case my first impressions are definitely positive and I have a much better time coming to terms with a big third person shooter with jetpacks (these are fun indeed) than with Inquisition and its boring combat.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 11:20 am

The more I play the more I'm enjoying the game and the more it keeps opening up. Sure I wish that some animations and hairstyles would look better (same with Skyrim and F4) but I'm still having much more fun with this than with DAI or the Witcher 3.

Say Kana what does your Pathfinder look like?

Here is my guy, Red Ryder:

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/images/1894/914914-1490872545.jpg

I wish I had taken a shot of his dad because I swear he looked a lot like a younger dark haired Kirk Douglas! Razz
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 11:20 pm

Cool character. Here is mine. She's basically just the first preset after the default with different hair. I actually created her in the time-limited trial before release, so I didn't want to spend a lot of time on character creation.

https://goo.gl/photos/8ro58CozGCVHjeFX7

I'm enjoying it a lot, too. I'm playing primarily as a vanguard, which was my favorite class in the previous games. It really benefits from the increased mobility of the combat in this game. You can pull of some pretty impressive combos, throwing, charging and punching enemies all over the battlefield. I also have a sentinel profile I fall back on for when charging in like an idiot is a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2017 5:46 am

She's lovely! There may not be too many options (at least currently) but you've managed to make the most of it.

I enjoyed the engineer class the most with my female Shepard so it was a simple choice really. I do focus on the Infiltrator profile with a sniper rifle, a shotgun for close quarters and a handgun as a backup. The turret and overload work wonders but I still have to pick a third ability.

Some things about this game remind me of Kingdoms of Amalur (like the profiles). I'm having a blast! Smile

I've played two loyalty missions so far and they've been awesome. I really like the NPCs in this game.
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2017 6:43 am

Ian Frazier was the lead designer on both Andromeda and Kingdoms of Amalur, so it's not surprising to see him carry over some of his ideas. The man definitely know how to make enjoyable combat.

Yes, the NPCs are a lot of fun. I like that the game doesn't take itself too seriously. There have been some real laugh-out-loud moments from the squad. I especially like Drack.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2017 7:06 am

He is great! I'm really fond of the old Krogan. Smile

I've enjoyed his loyalty mission quite a bit.

Frankly I was worried because they kept bringing up the Witcher 3 and that game is not near as perfect as everyone says (I could go on and on but let's just say that combat is not a highlight which is slightly ironic considering and even worse everything is level gated which completely defeats the idea of a huge open world game).

But so far I'm relieved because the one thing that they may have emphasized in relation to the Witcher 3 is how to make the player feel that side quests actually matter by fleshing them out a bit.

I guess a little backstory goes a long way in making a simple fetch and carry quest feel less trite. Smile

By the way how is the voice acting for female Ryder?

I'm conflicted when it comes to male Ryder voice as I feel he sounds a bit too laid back and "American" for my liking (had the same problem with Geralt in the Witcher and it took me several games to get over it).

I'll probably end up replaying Andromeda with a female biotic after I'm done (looks like it will be a long time from now).
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2017 7:31 am

I've never been able to get into the Witcher series. It took me three attempts to get through the first one, and I've started both 2 and 3 multiple times but never made it more than a few hours in. Something about the series just doesn't resonate with me. Of course, criticizing Witcher 3 in some parts of the internet is like speaking blasphemy, and it is so often portrayed as the singular example to which all other games should aspire.

Ryder's voice actress seems to have done a decent job. I mean, it hasn't called attention to itself the way bad voice acting does. I'm mostly choosing the professional/logical dialogue choices, so she doesn't seem too laid back. Some lines strike an emotion tone that I wasn't necessarily expecting, but that's more a script problem than an acting one (and a result of the old Bioware dialogue wheel bait-and-switch that they have done in all their recent games).
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2017 7:48 am

I get what you're saying. The one thing I miss from DAI is the possibility of choosing between different voice actors.

Don't get me wrong for all its flaws I like the Witcher 3 but I can see that it's pretty much Assassin's Creed meets Batman with crappy parkour and mediocre controls.

The highlight is the focus on stories BUT the only reason it is working is because it is NOT a (real) CRPG. The dialogues are tailored for Geralt and they wouldn't work for another character which means that the game is a lot more like an adventure game.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, if the Witcher 3 is an RPG then the new Lara Croft games are RPGs too. What choices the Witcher 3 offer don't make up for the fact that you can't really stray off the path (ironically) and being forced to play Geralt only makes that worse.

I may not be 100% sold on the dialogue wheel in Andromeda but at least there are some options to pick different answers and convey different emotional responses.

I'm just glad they got rid of the Paragon/Renegade system. That stuff belonged with KotoR and never made much sense in ME.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2018 5:09 pm

I've just finished Andromeda. Apart from the idiot or buggy quests. I've recorded around 120 hours on it. In a nutshell : Mass Effect Andromeda has nice moments, you have fun playing it (I wouldn't have clocked 120 hours if it was a boring game), but while it's not a bad game, it certainly not a good game. At the end of the day, I think it's the "6/10 triple A game" we often see : a bland story played out by bland characters with bland dialogue recorded with bland voice actors, but with a few redeemable qualities. One of which is the Mass Effect universe (its always fun to go revisit all those races we grew to love, like the asaris, salarians, turians, even krogans!). I'm not certain I would have played 120 hours of it if it was a new game set in a new universe.

Here's a few random thoughts :

- Cooooombaaaaaaat. Honestly, that's the BIGGEST quality of this game. The combat flows well and is stressful and envigorating at the same time. They really nailed the freedom of movement and use of cover (jetpack included) that makes a fight a thrill to play.

- The game is "gamey" as HELLLL. "Ryder, your father has blocked some of his memories for no reason. You need to collect 3 shimmering balls of energy to unlock a memory". Really, Bioware? REALLY? Not only is does it not make sense he blocks his memories, but he "ties them to your progress". So, we get to a new galaxy, everything is to shit, nothing is as it was supposed to be, and yet the memory are tied to some sort of arbitrary progress that father Ryder had no idea would be accomplished? And they made the memory triggers balls of energy you have to find and activate? Who the hell approved of such a moronic system? This jolts me out of immersion.

And talking about gamey, when you have a huge area to visit, DON'T PUT IMAGINARY BARRIERS OF ENERGY TO PREVENT YOU FROM WANDERING TOO FAR. Just put natural barriers, like oceans, very dense jungle, I don't know. But magically appearing energy barrier screams of laziness writing. They had that in the movie Cabin in the woods, but in that case, it was a sarcastic feature. Here, they're serious. Again, this jolts me out of immersion.

Alien sudoku.... facepalm...

- I thought it was a really clever setting for the story. They sideswiped the pitfalls of the open ended story of the original ME trilogy (
Spoilers, just in case:
). They used a problematic starting point and transformed it into a strong one. Which brings me to :

- If only they had followed through with the promise of the story. It was supposed to be an exploration story in a new galaxy (like Star Trek : to explore strange new worlds and discover new civilizations). Yet, you met TWO new species, one friendly and one not. And they're rather bland looking at that. I honestly thought the Kett were Protheans when we first see them (haven't played ME 1, 2 or 3 in ages, but still). Nothing looks or feels truly alien. It's like living in the US and visiting Canada. It's not like you're going to disoriented. Even the Remnant stuff looks like Prothean artifacts. And "exploring". I mean, everywhere you go, people have already explored or tried to settle (you needed a vault to get a starchart with new systems to explore, and when you get there "oh, this planet has already been named by passing outlaws".... okay... I was expecting a change of pace from Shepard's "general in a war" role, expecting to discover new life forms and generally be a terraformer and diplomat. Instead, you have Ryder, a "general in a war"....

- Cara, I know you disliked the Paragon/Renegade system in ME, but at least it was something. You had two extremes to go to in a dialogue. In Andromeda, waaaaaaaay too often, you choose between two dialogue variants (example : a funny "yes" or a "serious" yes. BUT IT STILL IS YES. Having multiple dialogue options is completely wasted if they all amount to the same thing). I thought true role playing was missing, as the character is not tailored to you, rather you must tailor to the character.

- The colonies (or races) are doomed for failure, just saying. Technically, I think the established minimal population as a starting point for a race is 48 000. Below that, the genetic baggage is too small to be sustainable as it will eventually collapse due to inbreeding as there isn't enough genetic diversity. In Andromeda, each race starts out with 20 000 individuals, and that's not counting family members among that number. Too small population to be viable (seriously, with each outlaw I killed, I was like "there goes a unique genetic baggage").

- Why the fuck do major studios have such a hard on for daddy issues stories? Like seriously? I was like "AGAIN?". And it makes 0 sense that Ryder son/daughter inherits the title. They have 0 training and 0 skills. Worst. Decision. Ever. Cora is a much better choice, hence WHY SHE WAS NEXT IN LINE! "Aww, I always thought my daddy hated me, but he proved he loved me in the end by putting the weight of a galaxy on my underqualified shoulders".
Don't read if you haven't finished the SAM memory blocks.:

- Bugs. I agree with you guys that the bug problem was overblown by the gaming community and that other games are just as buggy. But there are still many many bugs in the game. I don't remember encountering so many bugs in a game (quest markers not updating, graphic bugs, characters not appearing in cutscenes, etc). A triple game should never go to market with so many bugs. But then again, this is EA/Bioware's MO : rushing a game to market when it's not completed or quality assurance isn't done. I still think EA/Bioware killed KOTOR 2 by releasing it early while the game wasn't finished.

- I don't agree with you guys that the NPCs are fun. They could have been. The only NPCs I really connected to were PeeBee and Jaal. Maybe Drack. But the rest... man, what a cast of forgettable characters. In the codex, it said me and Gil were best friends. That's news to me, I only talked to him like four times. They should have invested in WAY more cutscenes with the NPCs. I thought all the relationships were artificial (except for PeeBee and Jaal). I romanced Cora. Man. That romance had like four cutscenes. Nothing like Ashley from ME1. And almost no references to the romance in following dialogue. It's like it never happened.

- I won't even get into the "white savior complex" of the story.

So yeah. While I had fun playing the game, it was a disappointing entry. It had lots of potential, story wise, to be a really good game. But then again, Bioware had pretty much stacked the odds against it by pulling their ace employees from the franchise so they could focus on Bioware's new supposed flagship MMO, Anthem. Andromeda could have reignited the ME franchise, but it was a half hearted attempt. Like I said, that was a 6/10 game to me. (I judged it more severely as it's a fourth entry. Along with all the dragon age game, which are basically the same save for the setting, they should have been able to pull of a better effort. And as a self-confessed story enthusiast, I judged it more severely as the story is the most important element of a game, IMO).

Last edited by Triactus on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typos. Sorry. :))
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2018 6:36 pm

It's a mixed bag, that's for sure but some of the good outweigh the bad. Still, I haven't finished it yet. I simply can't find the time or the energy to get back into it when all I want is to play another character. Razz

Andromeda and Inquisition have too much in common and the worst thing is that you need to get into them fulltime to get anywhere and that's just not the way I roll these days (unfortunately).

I have a complicated love/hate relationship with the Mass Effect franchise. It took me quite some time to really get into it and the one thing that really helped was the mods for ME 1 & 2 (especially the one to introduce controller support for the PC).

I still think the ending of ME 3 is the worst thing they could have done with the series (and I did fork the money to get all the DLCs for that game and some of the best moments in the whole series happen in the DLC).

The worst thing is that although I enjoy the combat I find myself thinking about reinstalling the ME Trilogy (with a modded ending) just because I enjoy the setting and characters a lot more (except Javik who I never liked).

Bottom line I wouldn't get excited about the new franchise that EA and Bioware are pulling out of their asses. They clearly no longer care about single player games and they never gave Andromeda a chance to redeem itself when they decided to drop all the support for the game.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 5:33 pm

I've managed to complete the game (in fact I wasn't too far off from the ending) and although I remember having lots of fun when I first got started I have to admit that this game is clearly one that outstayed its welcome.

Basically it's guilty of the biggest sin as far as games are concerned and that's wasting the player's time.

And I "only" played 70 hours or so...

The main problem was that I had no incentive to finish the quests that were left and that's a big negative. I just couldn't be hassled (and I did complete a large number of those quests).

Ironically I feel that it's a pity we don't get to know what happened to the Quarian Ark. It's not that the game lacked filler content but it lacked meaningful content (like an explanation for what did happen to the Quarians).

Still, the movie night was a sweet interlude (certainly not as fun as the Citadel DLC in ME3) and the possibility of a New Game + is there so you don't have to feel like you've necessarily been wasting your time if you ever decide to switch between twins.

Now that I'm done with Andromeda I still have Inquisition to finish... At least Andromeda did have some nice combat and cool characters to keep you company.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 6:30 pm

I agree with everything you've said. I believe they deliberately left the quarian ark open for future DLCs, which was pretty much scraped after the poor initial reception (which will probably have killed the franchise as well). Bioware/EA probably fail to understand the icy reception was due to their own half-hearted attempt at a AAA game.

I also had a lot of unfinished quests. I hate the idea of those random generated quests. You have to drive around a somewhat large area in order to maybe find a randomly generated site that further a randomly generated quest that will ultimately give you... XP? And that's not counting the gamey as hell boos fight that are the Remnant architects. I tried to fight one and I reloaded to an earlier game. "Nope".

The movie night idea was a good one, yet I couldn't help thinking "all those fetch quests (and by god there were a LOT of fetch quests for this mission) for this?". I would have liked something more meaningful, more fun or where you actually have control over something. I didn't even know there was a Citadel DLC for ME3. I looked over the description online, seems pretty cool! Too bad I didn't get it on my ME3 playthrough!
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 8:56 pm

The Remnant Architect fights were a bit gamey true but they were fun.

The fights that did get old were all the Kett or Remnant encounters simply because you had to go through countless of those (even the end game was nothing to write home about).

Mass Effect 2 and 3 didn't have such polished fighting mechanics but the fights never felt that repetitive.

The Movie Night was cool but all the stuff leading up to it was rubbish...

The Citadel DLC is great except for the fact that it is EA and they never put it on sale so you have to fork the dough if you want to see what it's about (it's a lot of fan service and as such it is simply amazing but the price tag is a bit outrageous).
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Just to illustrate, here is the group pic from Mass Effect 3 (Female Shep):

Spoiler:

And now the group pic from Mass Effect Andromeda (Male Ryder):

Spoiler:

It's hard to draw comparisons between characters who were developed over several games with characters who had only one game to shine but the original Mass Effect roster wins and it's not even a contest.

I did go for the Cora romance in Andromeda and it was ok (my guy also had a fling with Peebee) but I can't say I did care for most of them. I first thought of Liam as a cool character until the shirt incident which was just weird. Razz

Seriously, the only one I really liked as much as the original Mass Effect cast was Drack because he managed to make Krogans cool and there were many occasions for some fun interactions with him (never really cared for Krogans before to be honest).

Kallo and Suvi did crack me up but they're not fulltime companions so it's not the same.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 2:50 pm

Oh yeah, for sure, the cast of the previous ME were better. I mean Garrus, Jack, Miranda, awkward Tali. The squad mates in Andromeda were seriously bland. All characters were severely underdeveloped and underused. I somewhat liked Jaal, but again, bland race with bland history.

I also romanced Bland Woman Soldier... ahem... I mean Cora, although like you, I had a fling with PeeBee. In fact, I would have romanced PeeBee, but I was roleplaying the role of a colonist/pioneer where you have a greater chance of producing viable offsprings with two people of the same race (I didn't remember if Asari and humans could reproduce. I was thinking reproduction is extremely important in the colonization progress).

Another thing : too much of something is like not enough. There was waaaay too much banter abord the ship (everytime you went by a npc they would be in a banter conversation with another npc), yet I felt there wasn't enough one-on-one cutscenes. Less banter, more cutscenes. Then again, do you want those writers to write more scenes and dialogue? :/
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 4:39 pm

You're being harsh on Cora after all she is more than a soldier, she trained with Asari commandos which is really outstanding when you think about it (she would have to be rather exceptional to be admitted in the first place). I like that she is jealous and resents the fact that she isn't the one who is in charge after Alec's death. In the end the romance doesn't seem to amount to much though.

Asari and humans can reproduce. The daughter looking like an Asari with traits from her father. Basically the Asari can reproduce with both male and female of other species but the offspring will always be an Asari.

I can't say I'm a big fan of Peebee's. The happy go lucky thing is a bit heavy handed. I personally enjoy playing roguish types in games but when it comes to NPCs it's important to be given the impression that these characters have a reason for joining up (a lot like Sera in Inquisition but I liked Sera a lot more). It almost made me laugh when Peebee told me that she missed all the action because I hadn't taken her with me for the big finale. Truth is, I never missed not having her around.

I didn't care for Jaal at all and I was playing Ryder as the laid back disappointment of a son who ended up taking charge because nobody else could do the job (I think it works well with the way the character sounds). Definitely not a colonist or a Milky Way supremacist he would go out of his way to make sure things were fine with the Angarra.

If I were to replay the game I'd pick the female twin as the complete opposite, daddy's girl and the forceful type who wouldn't give a damn about the natives just to see how differently that could play out...

I didn't mind the banter that much actually because to me that was part of the good stuff. Liam talking about his life and all those little things. Gil going on about the ship, Suvi and religion...

Did it live up to the banter with Samantha in ME3? I don't think so.

But to be frank I never cared for any of the Krogans or for Javik (I hated that guy) and it took some time for me to get to appreciate Ashley, Kaidan and even Garrus.

I also didn't care much for Jack in ME2 but I found her incredibly likeable in ME3. It's a credit to the writing that they managed to portray her as having grown and matured as a character in just a few scenes.

Another source of disappointment was Vetra who as a female Turian had big boots to fill (the other female Turian was in the Omega DLC for ME3 and she was awesome) and perhaps it's just me but I never felt like she had any real role in my squad. Don't get me wrong her quest was cool but she could have been another face on the Nexus it wouldn't have mattered that much.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 6:20 pm

Carabas wrote:
You're being harsh on Cora after all she is more than a soldier, she trained with Asari commandos which is really outstanding when you think about it (she would have to be rather exceptional to be admitted in the first place). I like that she is jealous and resents the fact that she isn't the one who is in charge after Alec's death. In the end the romance doesn't seem to amount to much though.

I am harsher than I should probably be on things I don't like, but I disagree with you because I never got the feeling of jealousy and resentment from Cora. Yeah, she says so twice, maybe? She never emits any feelings. There's never any conflict with npcs. I miss the good old days where you had different alignment npcs and you could actually get in a tiff with them.

And that last line, soooo true. Laughing To me, it was the most underwhelming ME romance to date.

Carabas wrote:
I didn't care for Jaal at all and I was playing Ryder as the laid back disappointment of a son who ended up taking charge because nobody else could do the job (I think it works well with the way the character sounds). Definitely not a colonist or a Milky Way supremacist he would go out of his way to make sure things were fine with the Angarra.

It's interesting to know how other players roleplayed the character. Me, I played Ryder kind of as the "lawyer son" of a military officer. Even though Alec is technically a scientist, he's mainly a military guy (N7). I imagined the drill sergeant father and the son who goes in another direction (working with compassion and cooperation to problem solving instead of using brute force), which furthers the gap between them since they have trouble understanding where the other is coming from. He only really takes the job seriously when he starts to understand what's riding of his shoulders.

Carabas wrote:
I didn't mind the banter that much actually because to me that was part of the good stuff. Liam talking about his life and all those little things. Gil going on about the ship, Suvi and religion...

I think we misunderstood each other. Suvi and religion, Liam talking about his security life before the Initiative, that's what I mean by one-on-one cutscenes (maybe dialogue scene would be more appropriate). What I mean by banter is the the dialogue between npcs on the ship, like if you're entering the bridge and you overhear Kallo talking to Suvi about Gil being a pain in the butt. I mean this is good, it makes your crew seem alive, but there was soooo much of it and so little dialogue scenes that is seemed unbalanced to be.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 8:13 pm

Ok, I think I get what you mean now.

Triactus wrote:
It's interesting to know how other players roleplayed the character. Me, I played Ryder kind of as the "lawyer son" of a military officer. Even though Alec is technically a scientist, he's mainly a military guy (N7). I imagined the drill sergeant father and the son who goes in another direction (working with compassion and cooperation to problem solving instead of using brute force), which furthers the gap between them since they have trouble understanding where the other is coming from. He only really takes the job seriously when he starts to understand what's riding of his shoulders.

Nice. I like finding out about things like that.

My roleplaying decision was shaped by the voice acting. I couldn't imagine Ryder being anyone else considering how easygoing the voice actor made him sound.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 6:46 pm

I've noticed some of the cool mods for ME1 have been updated so I did reinstall the game and here is my new guy, Newton Shepard:

Spoiler:

I'm basing him (loosely) on Curtis Newton aka Captain Future so he is a Spacer, Hero and mostly Paragon. He is a Vanguard (for a change) and if you look at the picture you can see that his face is based on a famous Scottish thespian (and not Sean Connery for a change). Smile
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 8:36 pm

I don't know if it's just me, but I can't seem to see the picture. I'll try to look at it at home. Might be the internet connection (it's been difficult today).
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 9:18 pm

It's uploaded on the Nexus so it shouldn't be a problem.

My girl was able to recognise the actor but she also told me that the likeness was not perfect but still, I think it's not so far fetched once you see his face.

So maybe you'll be able to confirm that. Wink
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Oh, it just worked. Might have been my Internet connection after all. Hum. Ewan McGregor?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Mass Effect Andromeda I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mass Effect Andromeda
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next