Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Assassin's Creed Origins
by Carabas Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:20 pm

» Sword Coast Legends
by Carabas Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:17 pm

» Shadowhand
by Carabas Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:26 pm

» Witcher 3 reviewed
by Carabas Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:53 pm

» Titan Quest Immortal Throne
by Carabas Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:30 pm

» Crusaders Kings 2
by Carabas Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:18 am

» Divinity: Original Sin 2
by Carabas Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 pm

» ChinaDroid review - VKWorld Mix Plus
by BlackZarak Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:40 am

» Why the original Fallout is still my favourite game 13 years later
by Carabas Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:59 pm

» Fallout 4 Mods
by Carabas Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 am

» Fallout: New California/Project Brazil
by Carabas Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:43 am

» XCOM 2 First Impressions
by Carabas Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 39 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:37 pm
Statistics
We have 42 registered users
The newest registered user is hellsheep

Our users have posted a total of 25642 messages in 644 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Mass Effect Andromeda

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Mass Effect Andromeda   Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:44 am

Don't know if you are interested in this but there are some goodies that can be obtained if you sign up for the Andromeda Initiative and watch some videos about the game with your Origin Account:

https://www.masseffect.com/en-gb/andromeda-initiative

I don't know if there is a deadline for this (the game is supposed to be released in a few weeks).

The freebies are a special helmet and a skin for the land vehicle (apparently you only have to sign up for the newsletter to unlock the skin, the videos are for the helmet).

Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:40 am

Played two hours last night and I don't get what the fuss is about. The internet is going full retard on the animations in this game when they are serviceable and frankly not worse than any game made by Bethesda (and much less buggy than Assassin's Creed Unity on release).

What really pisses me off about all the Mass Effect Andromeda bashing on the internet is all the people who are raving about the Witcher 3 and how superior it is when in fact it had many glitches that took more than a year to be ironed out (Geralt's horse losing its tail is just an embarrassing example that comes to mind).

Besides having played the previous Mass Effect not too long ago (I've finished Mass Effect 3 with the modded ending the other day) all I can say is that it looks a lot better than the previous games (1 has aged a lot, 2 has some serious lighting issues and 3 has some very wonky animations especially if you played Femshep).

Sure, I wish they had made some better looking hair but I'm not forgetting that Mass Effect 3 was a serious step back after Mass Effect 2 (especially when it came to hair) and Andromeda is probably not worse than Dragon Age Inquisition in that respect (unfortunately it's not better).

Bottom line it looks and feels like Dragon Age Inquisition in the Mass Effect universe which is exactly what I was expecting.

Combat is fun though and that's something I've never been able to say about Inquisition.

Kana
Catnip Purveyor

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:37 am

Skyrim, also, had and still has more than its fair share of weird animation glitches.

I think there is just a sizable group of histrionic pinheads on the internet who have it in for Bioware for political reasons. Bioware is an SJW company, I'm told. They have brown people and girls with short hair in their games, which is evidently part of some conspiracy to emasculate white men. At least, that's the gist I got from Reddit. The stiff facial animations are just an excuse to attack the company by way of attacking the game, I think.

I have Andromeda and have played some, too. The combat is quite fun, with the addition of the jump jet and the removal of sticky cover. In that regard, it's a clear improvement over the previous games. Like you said, it is basically Dragon Age: Inquisition with enjoyable combat. The similarities in terms of structure are undeniable.

It's not going to be remembered as a classic, I'm sure, but it also not the calamity some on the net would make it out to be.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:05 pm

Too early for me to tell if it will go down as a classic but truth is it's a fun game that ticks all the right boxes as far as I'm concerned. I'm not expecting it to be mind shatteringly innovative or anything (I leave that to indie games) so I'm not disappointed.

That nonsense on Reddit is shameful and shameless. Insecure dicks (both literally and metaphorically) who can't accept that some people may enjoy characters who aren't pasty white or of a different gender or sexual orientation.

The world is a big place and if anything Mass Effect doesn't come near representing all the different ethnic groups that make up humankind (not sure it's their sole objective though).

In any case my first impressions are definitely positive and I have a much better time coming to terms with a big third person shooter with jetpacks (these are fun indeed) than with Inquisition and its boring combat.

Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:20 am

The more I play the more I'm enjoying the game and the more it keeps opening up. Sure I wish that some animations and hairstyles would look better (same with Skyrim and F4) but I'm still having much more fun with this than with DAI or the Witcher 3.

Say Kana what does your Pathfinder look like?

Here is my guy, Red Ryder:

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/images/1894/914914-1490872545.jpg

I wish I had taken a shot of his dad because I swear he looked a lot like a younger dark haired Kirk Douglas! Razz

Kana
Catnip Purveyor

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:20 pm

Cool character. Here is mine. She's basically just the first preset after the default with different hair. I actually created her in the time-limited trial before release, so I didn't want to spend a lot of time on character creation.

https://goo.gl/photos/8ro58CozGCVHjeFX7

I'm enjoying it a lot, too. I'm playing primarily as a vanguard, which was my favorite class in the previous games. It really benefits from the increased mobility of the combat in this game. You can pull of some pretty impressive combos, throwing, charging and punching enemies all over the battlefield. I also have a sentinel profile I fall back on for when charging in like an idiot is a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:46 am

She's lovely! There may not be too many options (at least currently) but you've managed to make the most of it.

I enjoyed the engineer class the most with my female Shepard so it was a simple choice really. I do focus on the Infiltrator profile with a sniper rifle, a shotgun for close quarters and a handgun as a backup. The turret and overload work wonders but I still have to pick a third ability.

Some things about this game remind me of Kingdoms of Amalur (like the profiles). I'm having a blast! Smile

I've played two loyalty missions so far and they've been awesome. I really like the NPCs in this game.

Kana
Catnip Purveyor

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:43 am

Ian Frazier was the lead designer on both Andromeda and Kingdoms of Amalur, so it's not surprising to see him carry over some of his ideas. The man definitely know how to make enjoyable combat.

Yes, the NPCs are a lot of fun. I like that the game doesn't take itself too seriously. There have been some real laugh-out-loud moments from the squad. I especially like Drack.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:06 am

He is great! I'm really fond of the old Krogan. Smile

I've enjoyed his loyalty mission quite a bit.

Frankly I was worried because they kept bringing up the Witcher 3 and that game is not near as perfect as everyone says (I could go on and on but let's just say that combat is not a highlight which is slightly ironic considering and even worse everything is level gated which completely defeats the idea of a huge open world game).

But so far I'm relieved because the one thing that they may have emphasized in relation to the Witcher 3 is how to make the player feel that side quests actually matter by fleshing them out a bit.

I guess a little backstory goes a long way in making a simple fetch and carry quest feel less trite. Smile

By the way how is the voice acting for female Ryder?

I'm conflicted when it comes to male Ryder voice as I feel he sounds a bit too laid back and "American" for my liking (had the same problem with Geralt in the Witcher and it took me several games to get over it).

I'll probably end up replaying Andromeda with a female biotic after I'm done (looks like it will be a long time from now).

Kana
Catnip Purveyor

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:31 am

I've never been able to get into the Witcher series. It took me three attempts to get through the first one, and I've started both 2 and 3 multiple times but never made it more than a few hours in. Something about the series just doesn't resonate with me. Of course, criticizing Witcher 3 in some parts of the internet is like speaking blasphemy, and it is so often portrayed as the singular example to which all other games should aspire.

Ryder's voice actress seems to have done a decent job. I mean, it hasn't called attention to itself the way bad voice acting does. I'm mostly choosing the professional/logical dialogue choices, so she doesn't seem too laid back. Some lines strike an emotion tone that I wasn't necessarily expecting, but that's more a script problem than an acting one (and a result of the old Bioware dialogue wheel bait-and-switch that they have done in all their recent games).
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:48 am

I get what you're saying. The one thing I miss from DAI is the possibility of choosing between different voice actors.

Don't get me wrong for all its flaws I like the Witcher 3 but I can see that it's pretty much Assassin's Creed meets Batman with crappy parkour and mediocre controls.

The highlight is the focus on stories BUT the only reason it is working is because it is NOT a (real) CRPG. The dialogues are tailored for Geralt and they wouldn't work for another character which means that the game is a lot more like an adventure game.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, if the Witcher 3 is an RPG then the new Lara Croft games are RPGs too. What choices the Witcher 3 offer don't make up for the fact that you can't really stray off the path (ironically) and being forced to play Geralt only makes that worse.

I may not be 100% sold on the dialogue wheel in Andromeda but at least there are some options to pick different answers and convey different emotional responses.

I'm just glad they got rid of the Paragon/Renegade system. That stuff belonged with KotoR and never made much sense in ME.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect Andromeda   

Back to top Go down

Mass Effect Andromeda
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Belle Sakura Saloon :: The Gaming House :: The Hole in the Wall-
Jump to: