Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Firefox OS -- from an early adopter I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Firefox OS -- from an early adopter I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Firefox OS -- from an early adopter I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Firefox OS -- from an early adopter I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Firefox OS -- from an early adopter I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Firefox OS -- from an early adopter I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Firefox OS -- from an early adopter I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Firefox OS -- from an early adopter I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Firefox OS -- from an early adopter I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Firefox OS -- from an early adopter I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Firefox OS -- from an early adopter I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Firefox OS -- from an early adopter I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Firefox OS -- from an early adopter

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

Firefox OS -- from an early adopter Empty
PostSubject: Firefox OS -- from an early adopter   Firefox OS -- from an early adopter I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 6:33 am

I recently dusted out my ZTE Open C, the second Firefox phone released (the first one being the Open, which is much less powerful than the Open C), and seeing as there are no over-the-air updates, I took matters in my own hands, and flashed the latest unstable Nightly build of 2.5.

Previously, my Open C was on FFOS 1.3. As a fledgeling platform, FFOS 1.3 was still in it's primitive stages and while being perfectly serviceable, it wasn't a phone I wanted to use as my main phone.

2.5 fixes all of the issues I had with 1.3, adds the missing features, such as the screen lock wallpaper which could not be changed at all in 1.3 which meant you had to look at the Firefox on a blue background everytime. Quickly gets pissant.

The Open C has a 4" screen, a 3MP camera (no flash, being a low-end mobile), 512MB of RAM and a dual-core Snapdragon 200 @ 1.2GHz. It might not seem like much RAM but remember that FFOS can run on 256MB of RAM, which is impossible for modern, resource hog Android, and can be done on WP hardware.

The camera is decent for shots on the go, but while it's not a deal breaker the lack of a flash pretty much rules it out for any kind of dim/night lighting. Video capture is 352x288 @ 15 FPS, good enough for quick capture on the go, but it definitively is no match against the likes of my Redmi Note, Dagger, Lumia 800, Moto X and such. It is on par with my Doogee Phablet.

Call quality was pretty good, had no problems hearing or being heard. The reception side has been improved drastically, I have a much stronger signal (-65dBm/5 bars) where I previously had about -90/-95 (2 bars).

Firefox works very well, pages load quickly and renders perfectly fine. I still prefer Opera, but that's force of habit, having used Opera since the ad-supported days.

The Open C has 1GB of internal storage, with 944MB available space -- yes, FFOS is very light on resources. It also takes microSD up to 32GB.

Bottom line: With the 2.5 update, FFOS has grown considerably, and while I think it will remain a niche OS, it is an interesting alternative to Droid/WP/BB. Alcatel has pledged to make FFOS hardware, and hell, even LG released a FFOS smartphone, which I may have to hunt down and import eventually.

Final thoughts: An interesting, exotic curiosity. If you are a little bit of a tinkerer and want a different experience than the mainstream OSes, give FFOS a look.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

Firefox OS -- from an early adopter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Firefox OS -- from an early adopter   Firefox OS -- from an early adopter I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 11:30 pm

Impressive. Since installing the FoxFood community ROM, I have been getting regular updates, just this week I got two. ZTE are a bunch of slackers but the community is very active and dedicated to developping and improving FFOS.

Expect a video review soon. And I will definitively be hunting down that LG Fx0 somewhere in the future. Now that I know FFOS is well supported.

Also got a LG Quantum off eBay. An old school Windows Phone 7 uogradable to WP7.8 and has a sodding physical keyboard which is a rarity.
Back to top Go down

Firefox OS -- from an early adopter
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Belle Sakura Saloon :: Arcanum :: Where you can find help with the magic of modern technology.-
Jump to: