Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Breaking free from Windows

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breaking free from Windows   Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2022 3:27 pm

No worries mate -- if you are willing to take some time to read and learn, the Arch Wiki has a lot to teach. The Gentoo one is similarly good https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page

Most problem in Linux can be taken care of by CLI and with a few brain cells. I think it's also possible to get a GUI program for ALSA/Pulse to handle that sort of thing...
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Breaking free from Windows   Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2022 6:30 am

So, still on the lookout for the best solution to remove that Windows shitestain, I carried on my mission of testing always more Linux/BSD distros.

And at last, I do believe I have found the perfect combination.

I have a lot of love for Void. I really wanted it to be the one for me. But, alas, this wasn't meant to be.

I have very simple requirement for my chosen one:
1- Steam, and RPG Maker, both MV and MZ need to be fully functional via Steam Proton.
2- LibreOffice, for writing stories.
3- Audacious, for listening to music.

Void unfortunately failed requirement #1.

I have spent so many hours trying to get the native version up and running with no success. I turned my sights to the Flatpak version, and while it took care of my issues, it could not read from my /home directory and therefore loading and saving projects was a pain in the arse. I was told of Flatseal, which could address that but no luck.

So I just quit. I fired up Rufus and prepared a bootable USB of Artix, which is Arch without SystemD. I had issues in the past with native Steam on Artix, but after a lot of digging I found out that to run flawlessly, Artix native Steam needs both Artix and Arch multilibs (32-bit libraries, as Steam is still a 32-bit application). This is not a big deal, install a few packages, a few digital keys, amend Pacman.conf to add new Arch repos and that's it, basically. Steam works flawlessly, without the need for Flatpak.

The next challenge for me was the fact I have an Optimus laptop. Artix uses either OpenRC, runit, s6 or suite66 as init systems, and Arch's Optimus Manager is not available or flat out doesn't work because of SystemD dependencies.

That's where my experience with Void helped.

See, Arch/Artix and all Arch based have a package called Nvidia-Prime. This offloads GPU processing to the NVIDIA GPU instead of the Intel GPU.

And this was the key to everything.

Running Steam with Prime-run, Skyrim detected my hardware and set quality to Ultra. Absolutely zero lag. Smooth as it is on Win. Same for "Fallout 4", Wolfenstein, Doom 2016... Everything I threw at Prime-run just worked flawlessly. Not only that but my NVIDIA GPU runs significantly cooler than on Win, by a huge margin.

So, the quest is finally over. Artix takes the crown and has earned it's permanent place on my secondary HDD, and eventually will flat out replace my main Win NVME. And this day is soon.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Breaking free from Windows   Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2022 2:41 pm

Congrats on a job well done! It's taken some time but it looks like you've finally found the one you've been looking for!
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Breaking free from Windows   Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2022 4:16 pm

Oh, but for my nerd satisfaction I will not idly sit on my laurels. I will keep trying. One thing I dislike about the current setup is that it requires Arch libraries to properly work. At this point, it's extra effort to avoid using SysD. I am thinking I may end up going back to Vanilla Arch because I know I can replicate my success on Artix with Arch because you know, Arch is the primordial ooze Artix splitter from.

I also need to properly try the BSDs. I know this won't be a 1:1 replacement for Win but I am curious to see how far I can push it.

Then there's the old Oracle Solaris which still lives as Illumos and it's a shame I don't have a SPARC processor for this. OpenSUSE need more investigation, I haven't looked at CentOS, and PCLinuxOS is a descendent of Mandriva, which was a fantastic Gentoo based distro.

I have a setup that works but it's nowhere near the end of my journey of knowledge Cool
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Breaking free from Windows   Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2022 6:43 pm

That's the spirit! Yours is a never-ending quest and it's the best kind!

I haven't touched my Linux install for quite some time. In all fairness it's currently sitting totally offline and I'm mostly planning to use it to run DVDs since the DVD player that was hooked on my mother's TV has given up the ghost.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Breaking free from Windows   Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 12:58 am

Yes but experimenting will be with my 2012 MacBook Pro because my Acer Nitro has a stable setup that is finally ready to make me ditch Win once and for all.

I might go back to the roots and make a Slackware build also. I want to retry Devuan also to give it a proper shake.

I am downloading a few of my more hardware intensive games to try with Prime-run, and next up is trying Vortex on Linux see how it works if at all
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Breaking free from Windows   Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 7:04 pm

Now I cannot do a proper playthrough while pointing at the screen but here is a quick look at how good NVIDIA-prime is.

Fuck NVIDIA.

Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Breaking free from Windows   Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2022 8:41 am

It can't be worse than that Optimus crap.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Breaking free from Windows   Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2022 1:52 pm

Oh yes it can -- Bumblebee.

Prime-run bypasses all this shite and just uses my 1050 TI as it should be. No, NVIDIA-PRIME is really, really good and teamed with Steam Proton Linux finally can go pound for pound against Windows and take away the one edge it had over Linux.

Desktop Linux (and laptop) is now a viable alternative and it's possible to 100% Windowsless. I often thought about doing the move, but now that Artix runs everything I need it to flawlessly and gaming is just as good as it is on Win, there was no compelling reason for me to keep 11 on my laptop.

Plus, with Artix I get updates every day, be it kernel, packages, programs or whatever. I am on kernel 6.0.12, and the next devel version is 6.1.

Plus everything is free from M$ spying also. It's a brave new world, really. Where there are no windows 😂
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Breaking free from Windows   Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2022 6:40 pm

I went out of my way not to use my MS account on my new machine. We shouldn't have to give them an email address in order to run a bloody OS.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Breaking free from Windows   Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2022 10:29 pm

And those fuckers don't make it easy to use a local account either...

Minecraft a while ago blocked my login and forced me to transition to a bloody Microsoft account. I was not pleased to put it very politely.

I can explain to you in many points how I got rid of MS, or maybe it can make you a solid enough dual-boot so you can bypass Win except when REALLY needed.

I installed BlackArch on my 3012 MacBook Pro and it's really nice. Arch with a bunch of black hat hacker tools basically.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Breaking free from Windows   Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2022 3:10 pm

I've given up on the dual booting for the time being. Too many apps and drivers that would be a nuisance and I can't be bothered at the moment.

Setting up a local account on my desktop required me to unplug the machine from the internet. Otherwise Windows wouldn't have proceeded with the installation.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Breaking free from Windows   Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

Well drivers won't be a problem especially not with a Arch or Gentoo lineage distro. Win OTOH is a different basket of crabs but unless you have truly bleeding edge hardware it won't be too bad of an issue.

I mean, BlackArch detected and had the bloody Broadcom BCM4331/Apple Airport Extreme running without additional input from my part. Vanilla Arch doesn't but it's a simple install from the command line. Vanilla Arch just needs a basic ethernet or dongle WiFi connection initially.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breaking free from Windows   Breaking free from Windows - Page 6 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breaking free from Windows
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6