Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Titan Quest Immortal Throne

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Titan Quest Immortal Throne Empty
PostSubject: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 5:15 pm

I don't know if anyone here has tried this game. I was getting bored with NWN2 (again) and I decided I wanted a change so I gave this hack and slash game a try and I just love it (it's available on Steam).

It's a Diablo like (without random maps) so the focus is on taking out hordes of various monsters while collecting colour coded loot. When I'm putting it this way it doesn't sound like anything special but it is a very well made game (the expansion fixes some convenience issues with the inventory).

The game plays in third person with an isometric view, you can zoom in and out and the different stages look amazingly good. There are many details that bring life into the world. You can't customize your character (you only pick the gender and the colour of the tunic) but the animations are well done and it looks really good.

The music is not too intrusive but brings atmosphere to the game (which is what it should do). Sound effects help playing the game and the voice acting is not jarring.

It's not a "true" CRPG, it's an action RPG focusing on going through quests and killing monsters and as such it's very enjoyable.

The gameplay is rather intuitive and you've got plenty of options to build up a character by focusing on different aspects (spellcasting, bows and arrows, spears, shields, dual wielding). You can only take two specialties (from a list of nine different domains) so it's not an easy choice (and that's where replay value comes from).

I've started a female Warrior with a focus on dual wielding and the game is fast paced and fun. My character died a few times (I tend to keep pushing) but it hasn't been frustrating. Most fights are handled very quickly and you can come up with some tactics to deal with mobs (melee, archers and casters sometimes together). Some monsters can use dirty tricks on your character and a change of tactics (or a temporary retreat) can really help. When a character dies you're taken back to the last save point with an XP penalty.

The thing that I find odd is the saving system. You have to find fountains to mark your progress on the map. If you save and quit you will start at the last fountain which means that you may have to go through an area you've already cleared before (it's best to consider this as an opportunity for more XP and loot). This respawn system can allow you to hunt for items and loot. Some monsters drop special items that can be used to enhance weapons and armours (the number of enhancements of the same type on an item will make the enchantement more powerful). You also have unique items that can't be enchanted (but they are pretty amazing).

All this may not sound very original but the game is well executed and a worthy alternative to other hack and slash games (the Diablo series). There is a multiplayer mode but I haven't tried it yet (I'm more of a single player kind of guy).

Last but not least, the game doesn't take place in a "fantasy" land, it is set in the world of Greek mythology with chapters set in ancient Egypt and ancient Asia... Some players may not like that aspect but as a fan of Greek myths I'm loving it. It makes the fantasy world familiar and works pretty well as a framing device. Everyone knows enough about Greek myths from literature or from movies like Clash of the Titans or Troy to feel at ease playing in this setting without going through the pain of learning useless stuff about some made up fantasy deities (I'm not saying Greek deities are real, I'm simply pointing out that they're part of Western history and culture).

This blend of real world myths with fantasy makes the game very appealing (and a very easy way to brush up on Greek mythology if you care about that stuff). It's the same thing that I loved in Lionheart Legacy of the Crusader (real magic thrown into a Renaissance world). I haven't been too far in the game to have a good idea of the scope of the story but so far I've found it very enjoyable.

The game itself may not tread off the beaten path and it's a bit difficult to have an exhaustive overview of all the classes and skills (and it's probably a good thing in the long run) but it is a beautiful and well executed hack and slash game that any fan of the genre should try.

There is nothing better than taking out a slew of monsters to unwind after a long day.
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
RYUchan
Visitor
RYUchan

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 6:09 pm

Nive review Smile

I like this game, though there is one flaw in it. It is too easy. I think the perfect game of TQ IT is with Underlord mod Smile Plus 3x monsters and 3x bosses. Try fighting 3 final boses of TQ hehe Smile

This is a very good game to play with your friend and has a Diablo like feeling about it.

Btw there is a new game coming out from the same defelopers and is the spiritual legacy of TQ it is Grim Dawn http://grimdawn.com/

Last edited by RYUchan on Sun May 12, 2013 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 7:22 pm

Thanks for the link. I didn't know about Grim Dawn, it looks like they're going to implement some nice features. Going by what I've seen of Titan Quest I must say I'm interested.

As far as difficulty is concerned, I like some challenge but I don't like frustrating games. I agree that Titan Quest doesn't seem too hard and I see that as a good thing (for now). IMO it's a great game to unwind. I'll probably be looking for mods once I've been through the entire game just to keep things interesting. Wink
Back to top Go down
RYUchan
Visitor
RYUchan

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 7:29 pm

Carabas wrote:
Thanks for the link. I didn't know about Grim Dawn, it looks like they're going to implement some nice features. Going by what I've seen of Titan Quest I must say I'm interested.

As far as difficulty is concerned, I like some challenge but I don't like frustrating games. I agree that Titan Quest doesn't seem too hard and I see that as a good thing (for now). IMO it's a great game to unwind. I'll probably be looking for mods once I've been through the entire game just to keep things interesting. Wink

Nobody wants a frustrating game unless they are masochistic Wink But the challenge itself differs from person to person. I like hardcore difficulty not because I like frustration but because on Normal difficulty I'm bored and see no point in continue playing Smile
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 10:56 pm

I get what you're saying. As far as I'm concerned it depends on the type of game. For instance I like extra difficulty for Fallout games (the most fun I've had with Fallout 1 and 2 was when playing no reload games on maximum difficulty... I once did such a game with a Fist of the North Star character; no weapons and only a leather jacket... It was simply awesome). When it comes to Titan Quest I'm still learning the ropes so right now I'm playing on normal and enjoying going through hordes of enemies. Smile

Besides I should also point out that I'm not really into powergaming. I try making builds and stuff so my characters can be effective but I like trying odd combinations (not necessarily a good thing but it is entertaining) and I'm the sort of player who would rather use a crappy item that looks cool instead of a powerful item that looks like crap...

I've already discarded some pieces of armour for my character because they didn't suit the look I had in mind for her. Razz
Back to top Go down
RYUchan
Visitor
RYUchan

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 6:12 am

Dual weilding Warfare + Dream Masteries = Harbinger a very powerful class that is living only because of the high attack.

I was also lucky to have a partner who is a defence freak - Defence+Dream very good combo all in all Smile

How can you play girls, I just don't get it hehe Smile

As for the genres i usually play Strategies on above normal difficulty but RPGs on hardcore. If strategies have a high RPG elements and the latter have heavy impact on the victory I usually play with Hardcore difficulty also(like in Warlock:Masters of Arcane it was too easy even on Impossible). But I never ever played permadeath though, I know I will die eventually and I don't see any point in deceasing in the middle of the game.
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 8:05 am

A lot of men like to play girls as they'd much rather look at a female form than a male one. Especially if the view is from immediately 'behind'.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 4:20 pm

I'm still undecided so I'm sticking to Warrior for the time being. I was thinking of going for a Slayer or an Assassin but Harbinger sounds pretty cool. Smile

Quote :
But I never ever played permadeath though, I know I will die eventually and I don't see any point in deceasing in the middle of the game.

You should definitely try it. The most fun I had was with my Fist of the North Star character in Fallout 2 (only a leather jacket and no weapon) I actually went pretty far into the game before a critical hit from a minigun turret in the Navarro base killed my character (unlucky since I had managed to clear out almost the entire base before that).

IMO playing this way helps keeping things fresh and challenging.

Quote :
How can you play girls, I just don't get it hehe

So you've never played Tomb Raider then. Wink

Quote :
A lot of men like to play girls as they'd much rather look at a female form than a male one. Especially if the view is from immediately 'behind'.

As far as I'm concerned it depends on the game. In Titan Quest I find the female model much nicer than the male one (I find the alpha male routine a bit boring). It's not (just) about leering at her shapely buttocks. Razz

That being said I confess that if I had to choose I would rather look at Gemma Arterton ( Titan Quest Immortal Throne 476432 ) all day than have to stare at Sam Worthington for a few minutes. Titan Quest Immortal Throne 88613

More seriously I tend to find it easier to play a male character when I have a stronger connection with that character but I don't necessarily see my character as an extension of myself (that's why it's called roleplaying).
Back to top Go down
RYUchan
Visitor
RYUchan

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 4:37 pm

Carabas wrote:
So you've never played Tomb Raider then. Wink

Nope, not my type of game.

I never play roleplaying games with girls just don't see the point. Characters are not extentions of myself either but it's easier to feel a connection with a character when he is male. Couple of games I played were female only but these are masterpieces I'm talking about The Longest Jorney and Dreamfall: The Longest Jorney Smile
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Of course it's easier to play a male character when you're a male but part of the challenge in playing a character of the opposite sex lies in the attempt to portray a believable character and not just another cliché.

Most guys end up playing sex crazed bimbos but in my experience women are not better at this. I have fond memories of playing pen and paper RPGs with girls and when they played guys they usually went straight for the stereotype and played addled brained brutes (with hilarious results).

Of course the same thing can be said about stereotyping non human characters like elves, dwarves and the rest. It takes a lot more thinking to develop a unique character that is not just another basic variation on the template. It takes even more work to keep playing (and developing) this character over weeks, months and sometimes years!
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 8:52 pm

I love The Longest Journey and Dreamfall.

I have no problem playing either gender. I've played the Gothic series, Risen (1 & 2), The Witcher as a pre-determined male. The same applies with most Jo Wood games - the protagonist has a tendency to be male. As long as the game is involving and the story good, it doesn't matter.

However, if I create a character, it tends to be female. I think this maybe due to the lack of choice in some games, like those I've mentioned above.

cat
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 6:05 pm

I've managed to play a little more. My main character is in Egypt and dual wielding works very well I'm just wondering whether I should have gone with a shield instead as there are some pretty nice options with shields (runes and items) and I find that I have to rely on potions to make up for the lack of defence. Since I haven't decided on a second mastery yet (Dream looks tempting and it doesn't matter that I haven't invested in Intelligence) I think going for a Conqueror could work out if I take away points from the dual wielding line and invest in shields instead.

I've started a Hunter using a bow and it isn't bad actually. Killing foes before they can even hit you is fun but it's definitely nothing compared to a caster with a staff. I've started a Spirit caster and it's the most effective character I've played so far. Oracle sounds like a nice combination. Diviner does sound good as well.
Back to top Go down
RYUchan
Visitor
RYUchan

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 6:46 am

Harbinger is one of the best dual wielding class and you don't need INT

I strognly suggest Underlord mod. Class progression is increased there Smile

Last edited by RYUchan on Sun May 19, 2013 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 11:11 am

I had a look at the skills and Dream is not heavy on Intelligence which makes it a perfect mastery for a melee character (which is why I'm considering it).

I'm not sure about dual wielding though since a shield could improve durability. Right now my character is cutting through everything like a hot knife through butter but she still gets hit (especially with bosses) so maybe hitting a little less but having more protection could make for a more balanced build. Of course you don't have to worry about durability when you can kill enemies before they have the time to hurt you. Which is what happens with my Warrior in most fights anyway.

Thanks for suggesting the mod. I'll give it a try when I'm done with the original game.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 3:21 pm

I've played a bit more and my main character has reached the Great Wall. She is level 29 and I've turned her into a Conqueror for a straight melee build with a hammer and a shield. Going for a shield has made her much more resilient to damage and with a life drain effect she doesn't need potions that much. I'll probably try a Slayer or a Harbinger in another run through the game.

The game is a bit too easy by now and I'm looking forward to starting at epic difficulty. I wonder if it possible to skip normal difficulty with new characters.

I've found some recipes that require some Pristine Plumage but I never found any. Other drops weren't a problem and I'm storing the relics and charms in the caravan so I can share them between all my characters.
Back to top Go down
RYUchan
Visitor
RYUchan

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 3:32 pm

Pristine plumage is a greece Harpy drop. I guess I didn't have any problems with these because I played with x6-10 monsters Smile

Again if TQ IT difficulty is too easy try Underlord Smile

There is another mod, that one should try out of curiousity. Lilith. It's a total new areas but rather high quality mod. For those who are really tired of the same Greece, Egypt, Orient and Underworld.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 5:11 pm

Harpy drop? I didn't get any feathers from them. Smile

More enemies would mean more XP and more drops so more chances to complete relics and charms. It sounds like a nice option.

This game is addictive. I still have to complete the Orient and the Underworld but it's going pretty fast.

So about the Underlord mod, do I have to start new characters or can I keep my in game progress?
Back to top Go down
RYUchan
Visitor
RYUchan

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 5:37 pm

No you can't keep.

I mean you can keep you char but you can't use it in the mod. Mod uses new skill names for existing skills(I modded it to my taste) so it is incompatible with vanilla TQ IT.

As for (xmax mods) the XP yeah you got a bit over leveled because of that. I even change XP formula so you won't get so high exp. Smile

Btw there is a totally harmless but REALLY good mod for TQ IT. Sound enhancements. I enjoyed it great a lot. different impact sounds, clear juicy slashing sounds. And I just love new zombie groaning Laughing
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 4:14 pm

Grim Dawn looks a lot like Titan Quest and it looks like it's going to be fun.

Speaking of fun, I haven't played much but I'm starting to like Hunting a lot. The bow is a perfect crowd control weapon, mobs fall like flies before even getting in range. A bit overkill so far but it is still fun. Smile
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Titan Quest Gold is currently on sale on Steam and it's really cheap. So if you're looking for a fun hack and slash game it may be the time to check it out. Wink
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 1:20 pm

Can't believe that they've released a new expansion for Titan Quest Anniversary Edition. This is actually great news. Smile

http://store.steampowered.com/app/741350/Titan_Quest_Ragnark/
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 3:25 pm

I'm very excited and tempted by this release. bounce

cat
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 8:48 pm

Same here! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 am

I prefer this game to Grim Dawn.

cat
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 1:30 pm

I like Grim Dawn a lot more but TQ is much lighter when it comes to the scenery and the landscape. I guess so much darkness can get a bit too stifling after a while so IMO there is room for both the old game and the new one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Titan Quest Immortal Throne   Titan Quest Immortal Throne I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Titan Quest Immortal Throne
Page 1 of 1