Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Far Cry 3

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 2:49 pm

Far Cry 3 is simply fucking amazing! If the game holds up to the great start this could very well be the only game to actually live up to the hype. I almost skipped it because of the DRM and I'm really glad I didn't since I've been looking to play a real FPS with an open world.

The player character may be a spoiled brat it's hard not to root for him considering he is completely out of his depth and basically trapped in a freaking nightmare.

I don't know what it is with games and islands lately but considering the number of games featuring an island with hostile locals like Dead Island, the new Tomb Raider, it could end up being off putting:  

Far Cry 3      587681 

The locale in Far Cry 3 is colourful like Dead Island but where the zombie game started out in a resort, Far Cry 3 begins in a slaver camp in South East Asia (probably somewhere off Malaysia or Indonesia). It's also gun based with melee being some last resort (which is a relief considering that the opposition is packing a lot of heat). Vehicles are available but that's pretty much the extent of the similarities between the games.

Fair warning though, this game is not for people who object to the killing of animals in games. I'm pretty sure members of PETA would object to the number of animals that have to be hunted in order to craft wallets, holsters and bags to carry guns and loot.

There is also a skill system in which you spend points to unlock new moves so you can see your spoiled brat, full time thrill seeker of a hero become increasingly tougher. It's a nice change of pace because frankly playing special forces veterans and mercs wouldn't be such a big deal.

I can see how the game could get repetitive in the long run (considering it's possible to just wander around hunting animals and gathering plants) but right now all I can say is that the first hours are simply truly amazing.
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 11:33 pm

This game is so awesome that I haven't even launched steam since I've started playing it. I'm enjoying it so much that I've purchased the spin off:

I've played a little of Blood Dragon and it's pretty crazy and fun. It pays tribute to the action movies from the 80s and it has a great vibe.

I also find the actual combat much more difficult than regular Far Cry 3. I've switched to the highest difficulty setting in Far Cry 3 and I can still get rid of my enemies by sneaking, sniping, playing cat and mouse, planting mines and using the bow and my silenced guns but in Blood Dragon I find applying such tactics much more difficult (which is probably a good thing).

I'm getting ready to advance in the story a little. The game world is pretty huge and so far I've always had something to keep me busy.

I really like the stealth mechanics in this game. Trying to hide in the jungle to lose the guys who are chasing after you so that you can turn around and take them out one after the other and end up chasing them is the most fun I've had in quite some time.
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 7:58 am

I did wonder what I was watching when that started! Blood Dragon looks mad but fun.

Can Far Cry 3 be played in third person? I like the sound of the combat techniques.

cat 
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 11:58 am

Unfortunately it doesn't. I understand that you have problems playing first person games but it's not worse than playing Skyrim in first person.

Have you had a look at the Tomb Raider reboot? It's third person but there are similarities between these games. Lara is lovely with some great voice acting and she doesn't look like a cross between a dominatrix and an exotic dancer. We get to see her turn into a female action hero. It's definitely not as colourful or open as Far Cry 3 (definitely the strength of the game) but Lara Croft is more likable as a character than the protagonist in Far Cry 3. Tomb Raider relies a lot on cutscenes to create an atmosphere and tell a story whereas Far Cry 3 is more focused on getting a tattoo and shooting (and sneaking, and driving, diving, hand gliding or playing poker) and the story bits can sometimes take a backseat while you're off killing bad guys, hunting sharks or simply looking around for some relic.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 12:59 pm

It sounds like there are similarities between Far Cry 3 and Red Dead Redemption. Have you played that game? The setting is a lot different, but there is an open world (as well as hunting) element to the game.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 1:25 pm

I love westerns and I would have played that game to death if it had been available on the PC. As of now I'm not buying a console to play a game, it's not just that I don't like the idea of playing on a console but I don't even own a TV (I hate those things) and the price they charge for games on consoles is simply outrageous.

You probably run into crazed psychopaths but I'm not sure your guy gets to experiment with shrooms and pills that much in Read Dead Redemption. Far Cry 3      36163 
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 1:30 pm

Reminds me of the mission in GTA Vice City where you have to drive your drunk fried to the hospital, but you're drunk yourself. The camera keeps moving and so you keep hitting stuff because you have trouble seeing the road. That was the best "Don't drink and drive" placement I've ever experienced in a game. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 3:18 pm

In Far Cry 3 it is used to build up the story. I won't spoil it but it makes for some surreal scenes in what is supposed to be a gritty and (somehow) realistic nightmare.

I had a Hot Shots moment last night. Smile

I was raiding some pirate outpost, taking out sentries with my bow, I turned around and took a shot and then heard some clucking. As it turned out I had just shot a chicken with my arrow.  Laughing

EDIT: There is a sale on gamersgate and I've picked up the DLC upgrade for a few euros even if it only adds one hour to the game I'm having so much fun it's definitely worth it.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 4:14 pm

I've just stumbled upon this:

Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 2:48 pm

It's not just about violence, there are moments of calm and peace. It's just great to drive around the islands while listening to this song on the radio:

Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 4:17 pm

I played the first few hours of Far Cry last autumn. I liked the world, the game play, but for whatever reason, it didn't really stick. I didn't have an urge to go back to the game. I started playing other games and kind of forgot about FC3. In March, I was between games and wanted to play a shooter, so I opened up FC3. Since, my playtime counter went from 3 hours to 59... Laughing Matter a fact, I finished the last main story mission last night.

The worst is I don't know what changed. I think part of the answer was I didn't understand the enemy compound part and I was constantly raging that the pirates were patrolling everywhere (my biggest pet peeve ever in games is enemy spawning. I despise it). Once I figured out that taking out compounds reduced or removed pirate presence in the area, the game started to become more enjoyable to me.

I really like the setting. The island is beautiful and there is a really interesting mix of old and new (nature vs civilization; WWII relics vs modern day towns). There is also, in the open world idea from this game, a constant danger. No matter how strong you get, you can get your ass whipped by the island's wildlife (yes, it gets easier, but I was killed by a tiger in one of the last missions). One of the best representation of the game I read was in one review :

Quote :
I see Rakyat allies fighting pirates, so I decide to lend a hand. While we're squaring off, pirate reinforcements arrive at our backs. I turn around to see a pirate chugging molotovs at us. I run off to the jungle, weaving molotvs along the way, hoping to lose them in the jungle. Hiding behind a tree, I hear a growl, and I know I have just a precious few seconds head start on the tiger chasing me. I run as fast as I can, the tiger gaining on me. I get to a cliff and jump in the water, losing my pursuit. Gaining the water's surface and trying to ascertain my location is when I saw the first shark.

I admit I rage quit the game a few times after a loooong trek to a certain point, only to be killed by a tiger or a cassowary group (f**cking cassowary!!!). But I was just mad, never mad at the game. I also think I had a heart attack once or twice when a crocodile attacked me out of the blue (you never see the bastards coming).

I also have a lot of fun in battles with enemy AI. I remember a fight in the jungle where a pirate was shooting at me with his automatic weapon. I run and crouch in stealth mode. I go around the obstacles between us and get to his back. He turns around to fire his rifle at me, only to find my machete in his heart. I don't know, there is an authenticity in the combats that I find refreshing.

Having see comments and reviews online, I also seem to be one of the few who liked the story and the characters. I really liked how the rich kid scumbag gets thrown into this impossible situation. He's a flawed character, but that's what make him believable. I could always feel the character's subtle change. I also like
Spoiler:
. The supporting characters are all believable and awesome to me (from the scared and out of their depths captured friends, to Sam (how awesome is Sam!), to Agent Willis. The native/magic ambiguity is also beautifully done. You never know if there is indeed magic (tatau) or if it's all in Jason and Citra's head (I believe it's the latter). The only thing that didn't feel right to me was the difference between the first two thirds (the boss is Vaas and you're fighting pirates) vs the last third (the boss is Hoyt and you're fighting mercs). It almost seems like two games. I know it was modified late in the process as Vaas was supposed to be just a minor character, but the character is so incredible that Hoyt fails to fill the void let alone up the ante. There should have been a major revision in the story. I believe that running away from a crazy sadistic man is a lot stronger than infiltrating a slave ring.

I also very much liked the ending. While it was a little too black and white for my taste
Spoiler:
, I like how
Spoiler:

Anyways, FC3 is probably one of the rare games were I will be still playing, even after the story missions being completed. Since my main interest in a game is the story, I usually lose interest after their done. But I can't stop playing yet, I still have compounds to overtake and relics to find... Far Cry 3      741682
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 6:41 pm

The game can be overwhelming at times and I haven't finished it yet. They really messed up by getting rid of Vaas way too early, it took me out of the game to be honest and I still have plenty of things to do.

There is a trend in Ubisoft games in which you unlock zones and look for collectibles, it can get a bit tiresome but it can also become an acquired taste and what started out as some sort of nuisance becomes part of the fun.

I must get back into the game and finish it. I've been playing Far Cry Blood Dragon on and off as well and if you've enjoyed Far Cry 3 that much you should pick up the standalone game. It's different but it's a lot like Far Cry 3 with a crazy 80s sci-fi theme gone amok. Highly recommended.

I've read Far Cry 4 is pretty much like Far Cry 3 in a different setting with even more things to do. I love the island setting so I'm not in a rush to pick it up but it's nice that there is a worthy sequel available for rainy days. Far Cry 3      36163
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 6:56 pm

Yeah, I was wondering how Far Cry 4 measures up to the third game. I haven't looked at the features, so I don't know what new things or functionality FC4 has.

With the sales and buddles now a day (and the adult resposibilities), I can't go back to paying 60$ a game. So I wait for new games like FC4, DA 3, GTA 5 or The Witcher 3 to have a huge price drop... :/

As I read, they also inverted the story : instead of an outsider (Jason) being a savior from natives (Vaas), the main character is a native that fights an outsider. However, the white savior trope was written as a sarcastic joke in FC3, which I found funny. It set the tone for some of the over-the-top story elements. I don't know if FC4 will have the same type of tongue in cheek humor in its game.  

Don't worry about Blood Dragon. I bought the whole thing as a bundle (FC1, 2, 3 and Blood Dragon). I wanted to install it once I finish/tire of FC3.

I also like to give myself challenges. Like when I clear compounds, I try to go at it with just knife takedowns. I sometimes use my silenced sniper rifle to tag tower sentries, but otherwise, I just use my knife. I don't even use the rock throwing ability. Makes it a lot harder. Which is why I sometimes get pissed when I have been hacking away at a compound's defenders for 15 minutes and I get whacked by a tiger... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 9:11 pm

The game is best played at the highest difficulty level. It gets even better because the challenge is half the fun. Smile

Considering I haven't finished Far Cry 3 yet I can definitely afford to wait before buying Far Cry 4 and frankly there is nothing wrong with waiting especially when you have a long list of games you've picked during sales.

The smart move is to wait at the very least a few months for the price to drop. Sometimes it takes less than three months for the game to drop to half its price and you always have deals at certain stores online for 20 to 25% off. Being patient pays off even more. That's the mature and responsible thing to do.
Back to top Go down
Triactus
Emperor
Triactus

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 1:02 pm

Plus, Steam summer sale is coming soon. Very Happy Oh no. My wallet is going to be mad at me... :*(
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 1:44 pm

I'm making a new rule, if it's not on my wishlist I don't buy it and if it is on my wishlist I only buy it if it hits at least 75% off thus waiting for the last day of the sale before spending my hard earned cash (unless it's a flash sale). I have another rule that says not to buy sequels if I own the first game and I haven't finished it yet.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2016 5:55 pm

I've started playing Far Cry 4 (and had a look at Primal) and as I supposed earlier it's a lot like 3 only with a different setting and a lot more of everything and I mean everything.

Far Cry 3 was a beautiful game but 4 looks a lot crispier and it runs splendidly.

I've barely started but I think it lives up to 3 in all ways (the villain is almost as entertaining as Vaas which is saying a lot).
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 03, 2017 6:09 pm

I've finished Far Cry 4 and I absolutely loved the moral ambiguity in this game.

The villain was a bit over the top (not as fun as Vaas though) and at times it almost went a little too far (reminded me of Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2 at one moment but fortunately it didn't last).

The fact that there are multiple endings really factored in my enjoyment of the game.

It's been an incredible ride and it made me want to play Far Cry 3 again (although I still have to play Far Cry Primal).

Great games! Smile
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2017 1:39 pm

I tried playing Far Cry 2 and I got some serious motion sickness because of all the blur, low fov and head bobbing. I had to give up. Sad

I'm reinstalling Far Cry 3 with mods this time. There is a mod that adds immersion by tweaking many settings, removing the minimap and replacing the bright red outfits that those pirates are wearing with some camo.

http://www.nexusmods.com/farcry3/mods/63/?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Far Cry 3      Empty
PostSubject: Re: Far Cry 3    Far Cry 3      I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Far Cry 3
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Belle Sakura Saloon :: The Gaming House :: The Hole in the Wall-
Jump to: