Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] Empty
PostSubject: Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only]   Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2020 8:56 am

Frightfest is digital this year due to Covid, so I'm streaming films from a digital festival at home. There's not the choice of screens that is normally available in the London cinema version, two screens and a choice between 25 films or so. It's possible to watch 15, but I gave the one on Thursday evening as it looked awful (it was apparently). For me, the festival began in earnest last night.

here's a snapshot review of the first two films I watched from my comfy chair.

I Am Lisa - Was this meant to be a comedy? I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Not remotely scary and full of stereotypes despite the fact that it was an almost completely female cast. Dodgy acting, dodgy editing and special effects that weren't special. Oh dear.

Triggered - I enjoyed this. A fairly smart, contemporary take on Battle Royale with plenty of black humour to contrast with the bloody mayhem. Yep - it's worth a watch -there's some pretty snappy dialogue and I wasn't wondering if, or when, I should laugh.

cat

Last edited by Sue77 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only]   Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2020 11:44 am

Enjoy the festival Sue! Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] 626442
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

PostSubject: Re: Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only]   Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2020 8:25 am

Here's my snapshot reviews of the Frightfest films I watched yesterday.

The Honeymoon Phase - A nicely paced film where the tension gradually increases to a finale that isn't wholly unpredictable, but satisfying nonetheless. The performances, editing and camera work are all good, plus you'll never look at a pair of hair curling tongs in the same way ever again. A solid and enjoyable film that almost had me on the edge of my seat.

Playhouse - A Scottish castle engages the watcher in a suitably gothic film, both in structure and performances. One aspect I felt was well realised, was how the playwright performed his characters before writing the lines he'd just constructed down. This served the overall narrative structure well. Not a perfect film, but beautifully shot with a real sense of isolation (physical and psychological) that highlights the mood of the piece.

They're Outside - I watched this with trepidation as my stomach and Found Footage films don't get along. There were fast moving, swinging camera sections that I couldn't watch, but they were relatively brief. I liked the premise of this film and to an extent it was well done. The opening sequence set the tone nicely for what followed, and the documentary structure was an excellent vehicle for the tale. I felt the ending of the film underplayed it's hand just a tad too little.

Dark Place - I can't recommend this enough. Five short films look at Aboriginal society in past and present Australia. Stories about human trafficking, split/cultural identity and mythological creatures sit alongside the ridiculousness of an English man claiming land by putting a stake in the ground. In the main, a brutal examination, even with the slapstick humour which shaped the last film. This had me gripped from the word go and still hasn't let go.

cat

Last edited by Sue77 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

PostSubject: Frightfest split   Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2020 9:38 am

It’s time for my snapshot reviews on yesterdays films:

Short Film showcase 1 – There were ten shorts in this showcase containing various themes and utilising different narrative techniques. The ones I enjoyed the most were: Breakfast which almost made me smell the eggs frying and feel the woman’s hunger. Jeff Drives You took a simple AI concept - which isn’t so far removed from reality - and turned it into a funny, yet emotional ride. The cartoon Tarrare resonated with me due to the excellent narration of Sir Walter de la mare’s poem. Last but not least, I’ll mention A Bit of Fun due to it’s excellent use of Mr Kipling's cakes.

Skull: The Mask – This was a blast. A Brazilian film which explored a myth and gave a solid story amidst the blood guts and gore. I loved how the priest had hidden his katana and the fight sequences were well done. The influence of Giallo movies was plain in the victims deaths and the special effects were great. A terrific horror film romp.

Two Heads Creek – Another good film from Australia and a wonderful black comedy. The brother and sister were well rounded characters, very likeable in a film that poked fun at them from every direction. The dialogue was sharp and consistently funny, the action pretty slick and frequently hilarious. Another highly recommended from me.

Hall – This suffered with sound issues which was a shame as I felt there was a taut film here about the usage and effects of a chemical weapon which was ruined by not being able to hear the frequently whispered dialogue. The exposition at the end was unnecessary, as a phone call made during the film basically gave the information that was needed to understand what was happening and why. I had my ear pressed to a speaker to hear this. If the sound issues are resolved and the exposition removed this is one to watch again, as there were nuances I spotted that should then come to the fore.

A Ghost Waits – In many respects, this was a lovely film about a haunting and the relationship that develops when a workman refuses to leave until he has completed his work. He is there to check the property for the next batch of unsuspecting tenants. I found A Ghost Waits a very enjoyable watch apart from two things. Firstly, the powder finish on the ghostly make-up was horribly obvious due to how her face was lit from below. It was distracting. Secondly, I thought the ending was reprehensible and should be edited. I felt as if the film makers had become so entranced with the story they were telling, that the sensibility of how what was portrayed may affect some people was lost.

Today is the final day of the Frightfest films on offer this digital festival and I’m off to watch the Short Film Showcase 2.

cat

Last edited by Sue77 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

PostSubject: Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020   Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2020 2:58 pm

Yesterday was the final day of the Frightfest film festival and here are my snapshot reviews of what I watched:

Short Film Showcase 2 – There were a number of interesting shorts in this collection. The ones I felt were of note were; Wash – which I found incredibly creepy. Mounting horror mixed with a sense of impending doom from the simple act of washing a toy rabbit. Shagomatic 500 – a cheap sleep venue for a man who accidentally presses the wrong button, and finds he has a holographic sex slave for the night when all he wants to do is sleep. Afterlife Bureau – a nice twist on purgatory which made me chuckle.

Enhanced – An X-Men styled Sci-fi action film which didn’t disappoint when it came to intrigue, double crossing and action. But, what struck me was how the narrative structure of the story played out, and ended, like a pilot episode for a series. In retrospect, I feel that this observation also fits Hall, which was shown on the previous day.

Blinders – I loved this film. A psychological thriller where a man’s life is destroyed and his identity is under threat. The reason why is, naturally, revealed at the end. In a weird way, this was a moral tale about people with no morals. Highly recommended due to how gripping the journey to the end is.

The Swerve – Although this film deals with mental illness and how a middle-aged woman’s mind gradually unravels into full blown psychosis – with devastating results – at no point is it boring. Azura Skye’s performance grips you and doesn’t let go. At it’s heart, this film deals with how invisible, put-upon, isolated and lonely, women (or men for that matter), with a partner, family responsibilities and a professional job can feel. It examines how small incidences can erode a sense of well being and completeness, turning it into a sense of lack, inadequacy. A powerful film and one that, ultimately, is incredibly sad, despite the horror.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only]   Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only] I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Frightfest Digital Film Festival 2020 [Warning: 18+ only]
Page 1 of 1