Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]

Go down 
+3
Carabas
Trip
OldCoot46
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
OldCoot46
Veteran
OldCoot46

Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] Empty
PostSubject: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Well, I have finally had my fill of them. We had pre-ordered 2 Windows 7 Pro and 1 Enterprise editions, 6 months before it was released. We received our disks a week after release and I installed them that day and activated them.

Less then 6 months later, Both Pro editions got pop ups saying our Windows weren't legitimate, so I called Microsoft about it and after proving that we had purchased them, I was given new keys. Had to do this twice, once for each pc.

A month and a half later, we started getting the same crap again. I called them again and was informed that we had to purchase new keys. This is AFTER proving again that we had legally obtained them. So, I broke down and purchased 2 more keys.

So, in total we have purchased 4 Pro keys and 1 Enterprise which of course Enterprise is a multiple key edition. So that gives us a total of 104 legitimate keys. Enterprise was installed on the 6 business pcs.

I have ONLY installed Enterprise once on 6 pcs and this morning ALL 6 pcs are saying they are not genuine. I just got off the phone with Microsoft and after arguing for almost an hour and a half, with a representative that doesn't speak good English, I gave up.

They are now telling me that I have to purchase a new key if I want to continue to use Enterprise. I told the representative that I will NOT fork out another red cent for their crappy OS ever again.

Their representative proceeded to ask me for my CC number. I then told this person what I thought of him AND Microsoft. Basically, I informed him that he was the son of a camel and that Microsoft could go make love to itself. But not in nice words.

I then hung up.

I now have just a couple days to get all the business documents off 6 pcs. Have to do this before the OS locks me out.

I hate Microsoft so much at this point, that even our home pcs will be having Windows removed in the next few days and I will re-install Fedora and the business pcs will be getting Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

[Rant Over]

I apologize for posting this rant, but I had to express this so I wouldn't have another heart attack.
Back to top Go down
Trip
Psycho Princess
Trip

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 6:41 pm

That's what we're here for Smile

When it comes to customer service places that don't speak English, I always use the 'I'm sorry, I have a hearing problem and can't understand your accent' line. Maybe try it? Laughing
Back to top Go down
OldCoot46
Veteran
OldCoot46

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 7:00 pm

Maybe after I calm down. I will try again. But this is very disheartening. We pay good money for Windows 7 and this is how we are paid back?
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 7:12 pm

Since you've paid for this product you should be allowed to use it. That's a disgrace. Try to calm down (I know it's not easy) and get somebody from that service to understand that you've actually bought their product several times... That's outrageous! Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] 58340

I'm sure that if you can get the right person on the phone it can all be sorted out very quickly.
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
OldCoot46
Veteran
OldCoot46

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 7:20 pm

The first time, after proving I purchased Windows 7, they just replaced the key for free. The second time, with Pro, I had to purchase new keys. I refuse to purchase a new Volume License key for Enterprise and it isn't cheap.

Back to top Go down
Paul71
Visitor
Paul71

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 8:02 pm

This is why I switched to Mac a few years ago

The OS costs £30 and you can install it on as many machines as you like. I've never had a system crash, and viruses are not an issue.

Back to top Go down
OldCoot46
Veteran
OldCoot46

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 8:15 pm

We have 2 Macs, which we don't use. A Mac Pro and an iMac 27inch. Wife and I both hate them.

I'll stick with Fedora and Red Hat. IF we dump Windows 7.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 5:53 am

I agree that M$ are a bunch of A-holes and that they suck. However, don't mistake this as my being a Apple supporter (anybody who knows me from the Stupid Side of the Internet knows I hate Apple just as much as Brother Kit did) -- both companies suck equally as hard. Also, Fedora? Since I tried FreeBSD, I never looked back on Linux. I personally abhor all bloated graphical install programs and the horribly bloated KDE as well. FreeBSD with Fluxbox = F'N awesome.
Back to top Go down
OldCoot46
Veteran
OldCoot46

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 6:04 am

Fedora + GNOME3 = Total Awesomeness. My opinion. My choice. I tried FreeBSD and DesktopBSD, not my cup of tea.

But it's all about "Choice", so I respect your choice.
Back to top Go down
Jezdamayel
Janitor
Jezdamayel

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 8:23 am

that is just a big bunch of potatoes!

what the hell! i am so sorry that happend. *grumbles*

Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/jezdamayel/
OldCoot46
Veteran
OldCoot46

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 10:03 am

Yea, potatoes happen, then you plant a garden...
Back to top Go down
Jezdamayel
Janitor
Jezdamayel

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 4:09 pm

OH! good one!
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/jezdamayel/
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Fair enough, I can understand that. I personally prefer the Speed Demon combination of Fluxbox and BSD, but if GNOME/Fedora work for you, that's great. Back to Winblows... I never upgraded from XP. Neither do I have an intention to. I got an XP retail license absolute free through school, they're going to have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.
Back to top Go down
OldCoot46
Veteran
OldCoot46

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 3:44 am

Well, I'm off Winblows now. I was playin New Vegas, when the game froze and my system rebooted. After reboot, I got the wonderful blue screen which gave an error about the Windows kernel.

So I rebooted with my system repair disk and was informed that all my restore points were gone and the system backup which I made right after the last reinstall, was also gone.

Fedora/GNOME cheers

Coot Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] 47717

Last edited by OldCoot46 on Mon May 09, 2011 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 5:48 am

Hmmmmm.... do you happen to have two drives? You might be able to access the Windows disk on a Linux/BSD install. It should be mountable, and Linux/BSD get along with NTFS pretty well. I actually was able to salvage all my stuff from when my P4 died after a couple of years -- seven, I believe. Got a new disk, installed BSD and set it as primary boot device, then when in BSD, mounted the Windows drive, everything's there.
Back to top Go down
OldCoot46
Veteran
OldCoot46

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 6:40 am

Yea, no worries there, all my music, pics and videos are on seperate external drives. So Winblows lost once again. Tried cleaning me out and lost.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 8:00 pm

Am not familiar with Fedora, Red Hat, Fluxbox could you all give me more information? I would love to trash Windows as long as I can play my favorite games. About time they got some proper competition.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 8:06 pm

Nak, Linux/BSD requires a Window Manager to have a graphical mode/user interface. Fluxbox is a very sleek and very minimalist UI, it requires some tinkering, but it's one of the fastest UI for Linux/BSD. As for Fedora and Red Hat, those are two flavors of Linux. Red Hat Linux was discontinued, but Fedora lives on. Fedora uses the GNOME UI, and I personally hate it, because it's bloated, WAAAY more than it should. GNOME/KDE are the two most "Windows-looking" UI. Fluxbox is for the more advanced user or the user that likes a lighter UI that runs faster and doesn't get in the way.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 8:10 pm

What the lady says. I'm not that computer savvy and I had to deal with Vista the hard way (my Vista looks like XP and runs *almost* as well as XP).
Back to top Go down
OldCoot46
Veteran
OldCoot46

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 9:21 pm

Type O Negative wrote:
Nak, Linux/BSD requires a Window Manager to have a graphical mode/user interface. Fluxbox is a very sleek and very minimalist UI, it requires some tinkering, but it's one of the fastest UI for Linux/BSD. As for Fedora and Red Hat, those are two flavors of Linux. Red Hat Linux was discontinued, but Fedora lives on. Fedora uses the GNOME UI, and I personally hate it, because it's bloated, WAAAY more than it should. GNOME/KDE are the two most "Windows-looking" UI. Fluxbox is for the more advanced user or the user that likes a lighter UI that runs faster and doesn't get in the way.

Red Hat discontinued?? Still hangin' tough. RHEL-6 was just released on 2010/11/10.

As for people wanting to leave Windows for Linux/BSD, not really a good idea, if your a hard-core gamer. Some Windows games will play on Linux/BSD under Wine, but not many and when they do, not very well.
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 9:36 pm

Thank you OldCoot for the information. I guess I am a hard core gamer. So I am stuck with Windows? Blast! Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] 237693 Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] 835223 Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] 449434
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 9:38 pm

I should try and learn about that sort of thing. Seems likely that I'm going to be stuck with Windows for the time being then.
Back to top Go down
OldCoot46
Veteran
OldCoot46

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 9:45 pm

One good thing about a lot of linux distros and a few BSDs, is you can try them out without installing it.

If you want, download Linux Mint, it's one of the easier of the linux distros to play with.
http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php

Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 10:03 pm

Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] 908882 OldCoot. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
OldCoot46
Veteran
OldCoot46

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 10:04 pm

Your welcome. Also for you Heavy Metal types, there is this:
http://ubuntusatanic.org/

Don't fret the name, it has nothing to do with Satan. But the artwork is a bit evil. Twisted Evil

Last edited by OldCoot46 on Mon May 09, 2011 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]   Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant] I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Totally fed up with Microsoft[Rant]
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next