Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Advertisements

Go down 
+3
Trip
OldCoot46
Nakia the Rogue
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

Advertisements - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advertisements   Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Smile Maybe not in my lifetime but someday we will have a common language probably made up of English, French and Spanish. If China gets on buying into other countries Chinese will be included if not dominent.

Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Advertisements   Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 10:50 pm

I'm not sure. I don't see people speaking one language. Bear in mind that even if many people are able to communicate in English nowadays they don't speak "good" English. The English that is commonly used is often largely influenced by the first language. Phonetic correction is not necessarily what matters the most.

We may end up with a very weird combination of languages used for basic communication. My guess is as good as yours. English is not too hard to pick up and doesn't have many verbal forms so it's not as tricky as French or Spanish (which I'm told is easier than French) or even German (those declensions don't really help).

Chinese is a very difficult language (especially when it comes to writing but also with the different stress patterns). I'm not sure most non Chinese people would pick more than a few words (like they do in Serenity). I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Advertisements   Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 12:37 am

English is a language which grew out of the Saxon and was influenced hugely by the Normans. I have no idea what influence the Danes may have had but English was a language created by different languages learning to live with each other rather unhappily I think. English itself varies from not only country to country but region to region. TV and movies have had a big impact on the language too.

Who knows what the future will hold. Language changes slowly even in this modern age.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Advertisements   Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 1:41 am

What you're saying about English is true about any other language. Languages are always borrowing words, coining new words for different uses and new linguistic needs.

French comes from vulgar Latin with a very large number of Gaulish words thrown in. It's a Latin language like Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and other languages like for instance Romanian. Spanish stands out in this linguistic group because it was very deeply influenced by Arabic (even more so than other European languages like Italian or French).

English is a Germanic language that has been largely influenced by Norman French (and Latin thanks mainly to Norman monks). It's still a Germanic language at core but it shows many differences with other Germanic languages like say German.

You're right to point out Norman influence. You say "twenty-four" and not "four-and-twenty" in Modern English because William the Conqueror brought Norman French to England almost a thousand years ago.

It's funny to see how languages work. Wink
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Advertisements   Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 4:48 am

Here is a rather fun link:
Do you Speak American?

One article points out that language is more than pronunciation or words, pitch, tone, rythem and other things enter into how we communicate and vary from region to region.

Having lived in so many different parts of the USA and been exposed to people who speak with an accent I have a hard time trying to define what my accent is. Midland where I grew up, New York where I lived for 26 years?

Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Advertisements   Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 9:11 am

You don't have to look for a country as big as the US to find so many accents. Scotland is rather small but it shows many varieties... Sometimes you only have to move a few miles to hear different accents and speech patterns. Smile
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Advertisements   Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 3:06 pm

I am still getting a lot of religious or roughly related topics. Christian dating, get spiritual help, tarot card reading, pschic reading topics. When will they get off the subject and go back to window replacement?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advertisements   Advertisements - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advertisements
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Belle Sakura Saloon :: The Saloon :: Saloon Maintenance Office-
Jump to: