Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Skyrim patch 1.5

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
dragoniguana
World Savior
dragoniguana

Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyrim patch 1.5   Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:57 am

Let's just settle this all at 'to each their own'.
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim patch 1.5   Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:10 am

Of course. I think a few of us here are "dinosaurs". You don't need to justify your enjoyment of these games to anyone.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim patch 1.5   Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:45 pm

Nobody needs to justify anything. Wink

I like Might and Magic VI the Mandate of Heaven (Skorpinok is a great fan of this game as well) but I won't expect gamers today to see in this game what I see in it.

The biggest problem with videogames is that graphics tend to come with a shelf life. I mean there are some very old games that some of us enjoy because we don't care that much about graphics, simply because of the fond memories we have playing them or maybe because we actually like the old vintage look of these games.

One thing that never gets out of date is a great story and some games supply us with better stories than others.

It's the old story about open world and linear games. The more linear the game the easier it is to showcase a story. We can take games with several branches that offer some flexibility despite a large amount of linearity (i.e. the Bioware recipe) and we can oppose them to free roaming wide open game worlds (the games for which Bethesda is famous) and we may reach a point where we agree on what makes a game good.

We need options and choices and the freedom to move away from the main story should we want to but for these choices to matter we need a good story that can make us feel like what we're deciding actually matters and that we can have an impact the world.

I'm not saying it is easy to make games like these. Kana has posted about the Civil War in Skyrim and how that would have made a great main quest and I couldn't agree more.

Heck even Diablo had a great background and story contributing to its very unique atmosphere and it was mostly a hack and slash game.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim patch 1.5   Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Quote :
like Might and Magic VI the Mandate of Heaven (Skorpinok is a great fan of this game as well) but I won't expect gamers today to see in this game what I see in it.

MM6 was, IMO, the pinnacle of the series. MM7 was good, but not anywhere AS good. MM8? Ehh, it's okay, I guess... MM9? A pile of shit.

MM6 is fun to play, captivating, has good character building, and the curveball of the futuristic elements in the story caught me totally off-guard on my first playthrough of the game. MM6 has some of the best -- and most frustrating -- dungeons I have ever experienced in a game... you remember the Tomb of VARN, Gharik's Forge, Castle Darkmoor, Castle Kriegspire... good, but DAMN HARD times.

First setting foot in Sweet Water definitively has one on their toes. The creepy music, the desertic wasteland... it just added that element of danger, imminent doom, which is just downright awesome.

I too do not expect gamers used to the ridiculously high graphic quality to like MM6, either. But, like Morrowind, MM6 will always remain one of the best games I ever played.

You know what? I think this topic should be split, and let us have some general discussion about gaming.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim patch 1.5   Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Good call Skorpinok, feel free to use your powers to do that. Smile

The thing that today's games lack with their level scaling is the sheer unforgiveness of good old games like MM6. You could go anywhere but you couldn't expect to survive. Besides the starting map had some pretty hardcore dungeons.

Most CRPGs today are like pen and paper Dungeons & Dragons, you know that the monsters will magically match your character's level an you know that you can succeed no matter what. That is the thing that annoys me the most. Playing MM6 you knew that your party would face superior foes some you may outwit but others that would simply crush you. I miss that sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim patch 1.5   Skyrim patch 1.5 - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skyrim patch 1.5
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3