Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop   Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 2:49 am

Right, Cara. The reason I bring up the 25% pay to modders is that it seems obvious to me that this is just a scam by Valve for them to make some money. Give just enough to a modder to get him to sell his mod but not enough to really make it worth while. The mod has to generate 400$ in order for the modder to get a payment of 100$. Certainly not impossible to get but if it sells say 397$ Valve keeps all.

Also this thing about you can't remove your mod once you upload it. Suppose it is found to have serious flaws which you cannot fix? Not all modders will bother to warn people.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop   Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 8:52 am

I typed a big post and lost it... In any case most modders keep fixing things until they get bored with the mod or with the game. That's the way it is and unless you have someone breathing down your necks you always find things to fix and improve and that's especially true of mods which are supposed to be a labour of love and not meant to put bread on the table.

The other thing is that mods can be compared to early access games, you don't know if they will be "finished" or at least come out of beta.

The modders who are taking part in that scheme were contacted a month ago so they didn't have all the time in the world and it shows. Take the armour mod that has been selling at 1.85, it does look good and it's no wonder they put it on the front page on steam but it is not finished, Kana has pointed out earlier that you have to use the console to get it in game and that's a terrible way of making things work if you're asking for money. Not only that but the armour is in one piece so you can't separate parts, you can't take away the hood of remove the mask and even worse you can't have more than one enchantment on the armour. I guess people who've bought it can expect some things to be improved like making the item obtainable in the game but it seems unlikely that it is going to come up as a suit of armour made of several pieces.

Modders who are in this for the money won't have any real incentive to fix things. They will move on to the next shiny item that will make people open up their steam wallets instead of making sure the previous mod works perfectly (if that's even a thing).

I think people who assume that paying will improve the quality of mods are fooling themselves. There will be no incentive for modders to work together or for one modder to step in and help another.

It's not about the 25% it's about money entering the equation and messing things up. Teams of modders will have to be on the same page to be able to work together and even then what was already difficult will be made even harder by the temptation of making a little money (and contrary to what some people have been saying it's very unlikely modders will be able to make a living out of it).
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop   Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 1:53 pm

By the way there are a bunch of fake mods uploaded on the Workshop. These are in protest to the pay for mods system. I understand they cannot actually be downloaded but they will certainly confuse people. As I understand it Steam is leaving it up to the community to police the mods and report stolen or questionable mods. It does annoy me that Valve is taking 75% of the sale price but no responsibility for the mods.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop   Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Steam not taking responsibility is hardly surprising. Moderation is lacking and the whole stance on mods is confusing to say the least. You can't expect people to regulate things like that by themselves... There is a reason why the Nexus sites have an entire team working full time to make sure there is no problem with the mods.
Back to top Go down
RYUchan
Visitor
RYUchan

PostSubject: Re: Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop   Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 6:01 pm

Carabas wrote:

The silly thing is that modding is the only reason people are still playing these games after all these years. Take that away and there is no reason to go back. Who in their right mind would pay the price of a new game to be able to use mods in a 2011 game? That's preposterous and it's high time Skyrim gets taken down a notch or two (which ironically is happening right now as irate steam users are spamming the steam page with negative reviews for the game).

You know, I used to be a pretty heavy gamer, heck I'm even making a break free from game addiction course Smile Anyway, any addictive activity be it heroin, food, anime, booze and etc. put you in a special state, let's call it "trance".

Reality perseption and life priorities change when you are in those states. So I addicted people would by things, because they have no use for money anyway, except PC, internet and some physiological needs.
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop   Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 1:50 am

Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop   Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 7:53 am

These are awesome Kana. Smile

The description of the last one is priceless. I really like the way they're handling that with humour, playing the system against itself.
Back to top Go down
Kana
Catnip Purveyor
Kana

PostSubject: Re: Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop   Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 11:23 pm

Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop   Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 11:51 pm

Wonder what Steam will come up with next. Thanks, Kana for the update.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop   Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 6:21 am

Kana wrote:
Announcement on the Steam Workshop front page:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218

Reading that makes me think that they are very likely to try and pull that stunt with their next games. People won't be in a position to argue then...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop   Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paying for mods on the Steam Workshop
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2