Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2017 6:02 pm

Believe it or not there is always room for more so good luck with that. Razz

I've added spoiler tags to your post because that Simpsons shit puts me in a foul mood so feel free to ignore the following rant, thanks.
Spoiler:

I feel much better now that I got that out of my system. Smile

Back on topic if I can't salvage my save I don't mind starting over because this game is amazing and getting back to where I was should take two hours. Plus it gives me the opportunity of doing a few things differently (I may pick a different soundset for my character for instance).

EDIT: as it turns out my save is now working fine, I may still start over simply because i'd like to change a few things early on. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 12:22 pm

I did start over, gave my character a shave and managed to get better matches for the nose and skin tone, so far so good. Wink

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 236D3A1688DE68B0C3249E013F192C429A73B139
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 3:48 pm

A few tips if like Sue you're starting this game:

1) don't worry about builds too much, you will be able to change classes at level 10 and you will be experimenting with classes a lot anyway.

2) starting as a Fighter gives a little more HP early but the difference is not huge. Striders are a bit more balanced (and have access to bows) so it's down to a question of style.

3) do not rush through the main quest, because if you do some side quests may end up being cancelled which wouldn't be a big deal if some of these quests didn't open several other quests down the line.

4) as far as pawns are concerned you should avoid Guardian and Nexus because these pawns can be incredibly passive and as a result useless. You want your pawns to attack so Challenger is good for a ranged pawn and Scather is really good for a melee pawn (a melee pawn with Challenger as a primary inclination can end up in a pickle if he or she can't reach the target which is something a ranged pawn doesn't have to worry about). In my experience pawn mages don't need a focus on healing to actually heal the party.

5) you can rent the pawns of your Steam friends without spending in game points regardless of their levels (any pawn of a higher level cost more to hire).
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 11:28 pm

Oh yes, I've started it Smile  Thanks for the tips Cara, this is where I'm currently at;

I love dual blade fighting so I'm playing as a Strider.  I'm also playing off line until I have a good feel of the game and how Pawns work, also the Pawn borrowing system.  

Both of my current Pawns  - the one who appears in the village and the one you create in the army camp are mages.  This is surprisingly effective so far.  Not only do they heal me, they also heal each other.  Plus I like flaming blades - they do a lot of damage.

I did a lot of wandering around before heading back to the army camp where the 4 or 5 headed snake appears.  Now I've picked up a load of quests from the notice board, upgraded my skills etc., for the second time and rested.

I've run into a couple of areas where the bandits etc., were too strong, but apart from that I'm managing to slay things fine.  Often it's a question of drawing them off one by one.

I have a question.  I came across a cyclops which had 2 red dots under it's lifeline.  Does this mean you need to deplete it's lifeline twice over?  I depleted it fully once and the next time I looked it's life force was back to full.  I realised this as I turned and began running to get my Cyclops goodie bag - thinking I'd killed it. I got stomped on and died.  

Pawn self congratulatory chatter is beginning to drive me a bit bonkers - my mages appear to adore each other - but apart from that I love the game.

Another funny thing is how they watched me smash a crate and now they smash every wooden box in sight.  They also bustle in an snatch goodies from under my nose, but I have sussed out the inventory system.

Btw, has anyone else noticed how the dialogue is set up for male players?  

cat
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 8:16 am

Even if you're into dual daggers later on you can benefit from unlocking other classes for augments (for example Warrior which opens up the Bastion augment at level 1 so you don't even have to play as a Warrior who is limited to two handed weapons).

Quote :
I came across a cyclops which had 2 red dots under it's lifeline.  Does this mean you need to deplete it's lifeline twice over?

Exactly.

Quote :
Pawn self congratulatory chatter is beginning to drive me a bit bonkers

There is an option so you can disable it if it's so annoying. To me the game feels a bit too lifeless without their inane chatter but I can relate to what you're saying (especially when you get pawns with ridiculously low or high pitched voices).

Quote :
Another funny thing is how they watched me smash a crate and now they smash every wooden box in sight.

Inclinations matter a lot but your pawn will learn from killing monsters (the more monsters of a category you kill the better he or she will get at fighting them). It will also learn from you (like smashing crates, grabbing enemies and flinging them off cliffs, jumping on the backs of big monsters) and also from the pawns you hire (which means that you don't want to hire a pawn with inclinations that will conflict with your pawn's).

Guardian is considered to be the worst simply because the pawn will hang around your character and not engage the enemy unless they target you. Even worse a Fighter pawn with the Guardian inclination will probably draw enemies toward you by taunting them...

If you want to avoid that you shouldn't use the Come command which will change your pawn's inclination to Guardian (Go seems to favour the Pioneer inclination).

I guess Guardian wouldn't be so bad on a Mage who is only there for support but playing online this pawn will not be hired because other players don't want their own pawns to get the Guardian inclination (it's absolutely terrible on a fighter or an archer).

Playing online also rewards you with Rift points every time your pawn gets hired which will be useful down the line but you don't have to worry too much about it.

Quote :
Btw, has anyone else noticed how the dialogue is set up for male players?

I've never played as a female, is it a pronoun thing?  

I should mention that there is a side quest named Lost and Found that can be missed very easily and will lock you out of content if you do miss it. The only way to "fix" this if you don't feel like starting over from scratch is to change the difficulty to Hard in order to trigger a new game (while keeping all experience and gear) and switching back to Normal (by dying) which will still reset all the quests in game.

There is a well made Steam Guide that you can consult to make sure you're not missing out on quests. It's (mostly) spoiler free as it only gives away the name of the quests and the names and locations of the quest givers so you can use it as checklist to make sure you've haven't missed anything important (there is a recap at the end in the appendix that you can use for this purpose only).

In any case the two quests that are easily missed are the Lost and Found one and the one about saving Reynard (it happens very early in the game).

What I like about this game is the fact that it's different. It probably has to do with the fact that it's a Japanese game and despite some limitations (it plays a bit like a single player MMO) it makes the game incredibly refreshing. Besides, grappling with monsters never gets old.
Back to top Go down
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 8:29 am

Thanks Cara - very useful tips here - much appreciated.

I've used the 'Come' command to get my pawns away from a too tough battle a couple of times, so I'll try to avoid that in future.

cat
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 10:38 am

I forgot to mention that pawns learn from quests so if you play online people who rent your pawn can benefit from the knowledge your pawn might have and vice versa. So if you rent someone's pawn and that pawn already knows of a quest that you're playing he or she may have some one liners that will be helpful. Usually they are very minor hints but they add to the atmosphere of the game.

Similarly your own pawn will learn about foes and quests when you rent him or her and will be able to come up with some hindsight regarding quests and foes you haven't faced yet.

Kana's pawn is a bit too powerful for my party since I've started over but I'll get there soon enough and if you decide to play online I'll be sure to take your pawn along as well. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen   Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2