Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  Empty
PostSubject: Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be    Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  I_icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2023 2:05 pm

So this thread is a follow up, and a conclusion, to my distro thread.

I’ve been running Gentoo since March. On both my MacBook Pro and Acer Nitro.
Gentoo has been the cure to my distro hopping. And that says a lot.
Installing Gentoo is a science, but it’s not that hard when you really set your mind to it. The Gentoo Wiki is a fantastic resource.
Of course, I had some help from some like-minded friends and TBH I probably would have not pulled through were it not for the wealth of knowledge they provided and the amount of my stupid questions they put up with.
The feeling I got upon finishing up my install after installing GRUB and then rebooting, to be greeted by GRUB and booting in my new system is a thrill I hadn’t got in a long time. It felt like achieving something. Like this is the fruit of my labours.

Gentoo is the best distro for a variety of reasons. One, you get absolute control over your system, over absolutely EVERYTHING. You can tweak Gentoo to run like a premium sports car and squeeze the maximum performance from your hardware.
Portage is awesome. Sure, compiling from source is a time consuming hassle, but Portage is second to only XBPS in terms of sheer efficiency. Pacman is great also, but XBPS reigns supreme.
USE flags are a finicky beast and quite frankly at times can get really annoying, but it ensures nothing you do not want or need is on your system.
A base Gentoo instal is very lean. My fully customized install has 837 packages. A base Devuan install, in comparaison, has 1487.
For Portage, you can customize how much of your computing power you want to assign to it. I have 8 cores, but I assigned 6 so I have a spare two cores to still be able to do other things while Portage compiles stuff.
Gentoo is a bonding experience with your hardware like no other and short of Linux From Scratch (LFS) there is no better way to learn the inner workings of Linux.
Gentoo comes free of SystemD although there is a way to build a SysD system although I cannot think of why someone would want to do that. Gentoo is the originator of OpenRC which is FAR, FAR superior.

Now. Gentoo comes with some negatives.
You will have to fix things that break
You will have to deal with occasional issues when updating
Gentoo will not hold your hand and you will have to do your research and figure it out.
But, Gentoo is a fantastic distro. I never could satiate my thirst for THE perfect distro… and then I did Gentoo.

And Carabas — you run Redcore. You have access to Portage and updating in CLI. You could manually manage USE flags and anything just as you would in Gentoo. You have the perfect base to learn upon.

So yeah. The best there was, there is, and there ever will be. There is a reason why Gentoo is so appreciated by the crazy brave who tackle that journey.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be    Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  I_icon_minitimeSat May 27, 2023 1:40 pm

Redcore is really nice and sweet out of the box so for a lazy grumpy frog like me it's pretty much ideal.
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be    Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  I_icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

And yet you have the full Portage and could do manual config and do Gentoo as Gentoo should you so wish. Redcore has a few things that I don’t like but it’s a very solid Gentoo entry level.
I’m gonna need to dig in a Redcore make.conf just to get a glimpse at the USE, CPU, RUST flags
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be    Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Page 1 of 1