Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros   Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 09, 2023 9:02 pm

It's exactly what I did. The Win11 NVME has been removed from my Acer completely and I have not used Win for, shite, nearly a year and a half now.
Linux now has all the tools to run Win games flawlessly -- Steam Proton/ProtonGE (a modified Proton maintained by a Fedora developper that is FAR superior), Vulkan, DXVK for DirectX emulation... Fallout 4 runs flawlessly on Void on my Acer Nitro, so does Skyrim, Doom, Wolfenstein, hell, anything I threw at it, just works as well as it does on Win.
Lutris handles GOG, battle.net, the Ubisoft client and others.
It's now more possible than ever to ditch Win and move on to better pastures.
The ProtonGE dev also forked Fedora into Nobara, a Linux distro made specially for gaming. Might be worth a look.

https://nobaraproject.org/
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros   Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 11, 2023 9:37 am

Thanks for the link. You're making a strong case here, not going to lie the prospect of ditching Windows once and for all is enticing.
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros   Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 11, 2023 3:42 pm

I did and never looked back.
My Void system is built the way I want it, with what I need installed and that's it. I despise system bloat. I used to enjoy Devuan, but a base Devuan has well over 1500 packages because apt pulls entire useless deptrees.
A basic Void install in comparaison is less than 600. So it's very frugal on space, and I idle at less than 600MB of RAM, which granted is more than Nutyx, but Void has multilib enabled for native Steam support.
I believe Nobara has a live ISO, you can tinker with thst and see how you like it
Under the hood, it's probably far less issues than Redcore/Gentoo and updates will be significantly faster.
Plus Nobara has support for Optimus/dual-GPU right out of the box and drivers forlr your GPU are a one click install
I do not use Nobara because I do not like SystemD but ir's a fine distro
Fedora on gaming roids
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros   Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 11:52 am

600MB RAM sounds awesome to me. I may look into this one for the old machine.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros   Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2023 9:07 pm

Like I said, Void will need some time and a few brain cells but once you are setup, then you are golden
I can help you as needed of course
OR
I could write a little how-to on how to get properly started if that would help
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros   Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2023 12:25 pm

Thanks but please don't trouble yourseld with that on my account. It's going to be a while before I have time to dabble with all this stuff as much as I wish to give it a proper go. Smile
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros   Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2023 2:14 pm

Alpine

Alpine is a small, lightweight, secure distro. It's not per se designed to be used as a desktop, but with a bit of tweaking, it works just fine for the job. A basic Alpine install with Xfce idled at about 400ish MBs which is excellent.
Alpine uses musl libc versus traditional glibc. Musl is not affected by security flaws affecting glibc. Musl is lighter on hardware, but glibc is faster.
So what does that change for the end user?
Well, most big programs, like Steam, will expect glibc and are not easily compatible with musl. This means Steam for example, needs to be run through Docker, or Flatpak. I am not a fan of that approach but there are undeniable security advantages to running sandboxed applicationa.

Alpine uses APK for package management. It's syntax is fairly simple --
Apk add <package name>
Apl remove <package name>
Apk search <package name>
Alpine has an official repo, and a user repo for more packages. I found a majority of what I was looking for on the Alpine repos.

A base Alpine install does not have X11/DE/WM/LightDM so this needs to be setup. It's a fairly easy process.

Overall, while it's not it's primary calling, Alpine can make a fine desktop distro, but as mentioned, expect some quirks with musl instead of glibc.

NVIDIA: Untested. Available in repos
Optimus: Also Untested. I do not plan on installing Alpine on my Acer Nitro.
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros   Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2023 7:15 am

Technically I've spent most of my life on the Alps so I like the sound of that. Smile
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros   Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2023 9:55 pm

Yes BUT like I said, desktop is NOT Alpine's primary calling
It can be turned into one with some time and braincells but an install is very barebones, almost LFS like.
And also like I said Steam will need to be run via Flatpak and file permissions for Flatpak can be painful
I have Alpine on my ThiccPad E460 and I will attempt to daily drive it
Nutyx has an issue with Flatpak Steam related to my kernel which I am also working on figuring out
I would love to run Nutyx as daily driver otherwise Alpine will work also
Networking on Alpine is a bit finnicky also requiring IWD which is not the most friendly or useful tool but hey ho
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros   Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 03, 2023 6:17 pm

Nutyx has a bug that prevents some Steam Flatpak games from launching properly. It's been reported in the upstream and is beung looked at. I am switching back to my Alpine HDD in the meanwhile.
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros   Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2023 2:15 am

Re: Venom Linux

I do believe I mentioned how much I love Venom Linux but simultaneously how much it irritated me and how I could never get it working right. Vulkan would never work properly preventing me from running RMMZ and other games.
Well, I decided to revisit it this week on my ThiccPad E460, the freak Intel/AMD abomination.
I saw new Venom ISOs with Wayland, which is the successor to Xorg/X11 which at this point is widely used abandonware. So I thought, why not, let's try.
Little did I know, this was the missing link to actually getting Venom working right.
Wayland defaults to the discrete GPU aka the powerhouse one, in this case my Radeon R7 M360.
It took a bit of tweaking, but Vulkan FINALLY worked right. Thrilled, I downloaded RMMZ... And it WORKS FLAWLESSLY!
I was about to abandon hope on this ThiccPad. Now, I can use it as daily driver at work and leave my Acer at home.
Problem is, only a handful of window managers/desktop environments support Wayland... But I can deal with it.
So at last, Venom Linux, is a success!
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros   Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2023 2:30 am

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros   Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 6:25 pm

Obligatory Neofetch of Alpine running on my Fujitsu LifeBook w/Flatpak Steam (because Alpine is musl and not glibc)

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Blood Red Eagle
Son of Loki
Blood Red Eagle

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros   Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

Chimera Linux

Chimera is, well, exactly what the name implies.
It uses musl libc instead of glibc (less zero day attacks), APK from Alpine as a package manager, the FreeBSD userland (for userspaces and other under the hood tasks), and the dinit init.
Chimera is a DIY distro. It can be installed from a Live ISO (full graphical mode), or as a rootfs (command line). It supports the ZFS file system out of the box. ZFS acts as both your file system and disk manager, and there is a reason why it's a BSD staple -- it's that good.
It is also a young distro -- it only got stable a few months ago. But for such a young distro z it is incredibly stable.
Using APK from Alpine means package management is lightning fast and efficient, and Chimera uses APK version 3 which as far as I know is unreleased on Alpine.
Packages are more limited though all the basics are there.
In terms of desktop environments/window manager Chimera ships with Gnome by default, which frankly isn't my favourite with it's tablet-esque interface.
Plasma is too buggy for now.

Chimera is an interesting hybrid, and I like the time I had with it so far. It bundles a lot of things I like together, musl, APK and dinit.

Nvidia: Available in repos. Untested -- installed on an amdgpu machine
Optimus: Untested. Nvidia is a pain in the arse with Wayland and I am not installing Chimera on my Acer Nitro.

Next up will be Funtoo. Aka Gentoo if it made sense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros   Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4