Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Your five favourite Westerns

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

Your five favourite Westerns Empty
PostSubject: Your five favourite Westerns   Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 1:43 pm

Since we have a western themed forum and since I love movies I thought we could have a thread that put these things together.

What are your five favourite westerns?

It's really hard to pick since there are so many movies... without further ado here is my list:

1- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

A cult movie that turned Clint Eastwood into a star. Its music, slow pace (characteristic of Sergio Leone's movies) separate it from all its successors. If you've ever watched other Spaghetti Westerns you know that this movie is way better than any of the other Spaghetti Westerns (although the ones starring Clint Eastwood are not that bad even if they don't come near the sheer awesomeness of this one).

2- Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid

Another instance of movie perfection and a strong contestant for the first place in my list. Sam Peckinpah's movie is both violent and poetic, wistful and humorous. The music by Bob Dylan (who has a small role in the film) is unforgettable and brings together the end of the old west and the death of its icons. The cast and the performances are amazing. Kris Kristofferson is the perfect kid for James Coburn's Pat Garrett. This movie is older than I am but it has a freshness that is rarely found in movies nowadays.

3- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

A light hearted movie with real depth and probably one of the best buddy movies ever made. There are so many memorable scenes that I can't help smiling when I think about this movie. As usual Newman and Redford work perfectly well together. The ending is IMO one of the most climactic ending in the history of cinema.

4- Once Upon a Time in the West

The other Spaghetti Western that is definitely worth a spot on this list. Everybody probably remembers the sound of the harmonica playing during some of these scenes. Ennio Morricone's music is definitely an important element in this movie. Henry Fonda's interpretation of the ruthless Frank is memorable and so far away from the roles he had done before that it's even more unsettling. The other actors, Charles Bronson, Jason Robards and Claudia Cardinale are excellent and they manage not to be completely overshadowed by Fonda's performance which in itself is most definitely a feat.

5- One-Eyed Jacks

The only film directed by Marlon Brando, I didn't include it in my list for this reason but because it's a great tale of friendship and betrayal. It's not a simple story however and the actors (Brando and Karl Malden) do it justice. It's a very interesting piece especially when set against Hollywood movies of the early 60s.

I'm really annoyed that I can't include other movies which I really like but if we don't set a limit these lists can get out of hand. Still, I'd like to mention five other movies that should have been on the list: (in no particular order) High Noon, The Ballad of Cable Hogue, Jeremiah Johnson, The Shooting (a truly remarkable but underrated movie with Jack Nicholson) and Unforgiven (obviously).
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Your five favourite Westerns   Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 2:40 am

1) The Cowboys A 1972 John Wayne movie. My favorite of his and a bit different from the run of the mill genre. A Cattle rancher loses his cowboys to the Gold Rush and hires a bunch of teenagers to drive the cattle to market. If you haven't seen it you are in for a bit of a surprise.

2) High Noon Another cult movie from the 50's. Considered a classic.

3) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - See Caraba's post above ofr information.

4) North to Alaska This is an Alaska Gold Rush movie not a cowboy movie but it is listed as Western and Comedy. A fun filled romantic movie set where? In Alaska of course. Enjoy a change of pace By the way it stars Joh Wayne. He did other things besides Cowboy type movies. Very Happy

#5 is a bit hard. Don't want to repeat Carabas' again. There were all those fun movies I loved as a child, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Hoppolong Cassidy. Rode my pony down to the local cinema to watch those every Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Sakura777
Visitor
Sakura777

PostSubject: Re: Your five favourite Westerns   Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 11:18 pm

1.Calamity Jane I'm a huge huge Doris Day fan Smile
2. The Magnificent Seven Yul Brynner <3
3. Westworld I know its not really a Western but it was set in a Western type park, and it has Yul Brynner Smile
4. From Dusk Till Dawn Again I know its not a Western but its comes under Horror Western
Yeah by now you can guess I don't watch many Western films Sad
5. Its not a film but I always watched it when I was little Little House on the Prairie
Back to top Go down
Nakia the Rogue
Janitor
Nakia the Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Your five favourite Westerns   Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 2:46 am

:lolI remember Calamity Jane and Doris Day. A fun movie more fantasy than fact but she did a good job.

I had forgotten about the Magnificent Seven, good choice I think.

Little House on the pararie was a good series and probably more realistic than many others.

Don't think I ever saw From Dusk to Dawn.

Just about anything with yul Bryner in it was my favorite.
Back to top Go down
Trip
Psycho Princess
Trip

PostSubject: Re: Your five favourite Westerns   Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 9:45 am

From Dusk to Dawn is a really silly vampire movie but it's worth watching for the yummy dancing on the tables
Back to top Go down
Trip
Psycho Princess
Trip

PostSubject: Re: Your five favourite Westerns   Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 9:45 am

(I mean silly as in funny)
Back to top Go down
Carabas
Pole Dancer Impersonator
Carabas

PostSubject: Re: Your five favourite Westerns   Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 1:29 pm

From Dusk Till Dawn 3 is a western, the first one is not but it's definitely a BETTER movie and it's so much fun to watch. Don't watch From Dusk Till Dawn 2 unless you're really bored, drunk or don't know what to do with your life.

The Magnificent Seven is a classic movie but it's too much of a remake of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. Your five favourite Westerns 33172
Back to top Go down
https://bellesakurasaloon.frenchboard.com
Sakura777
Visitor
Sakura777

PostSubject: Re: Your five favourite Westerns   Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 3:36 pm

Yeah I chose Dusk till Dawn because of George Clooney <3 (he get older and older but still looks gorgeous...well in my opinion Smile
To be honest I havent watched Seven Samurai, I think its a trip to the rental store Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your five favourite Westerns   Your five favourite Westerns I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your five favourite Westerns
Page 1 of 1