Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
The Path by Tale of Tales I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
The Path by Tale of Tales I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
The Path by Tale of Tales I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
The Path by Tale of Tales I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
The Path by Tale of Tales I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
The Path by Tale of Tales I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
The Path by Tale of Tales I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
The Path by Tale of Tales I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
The Path by Tale of Tales I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
The Path by Tale of Tales I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
The Path by Tale of Tales I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
The Path by Tale of Tales I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Path by Tale of Tales

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

The Path by Tale of Tales Empty
PostSubject: The Path by Tale of Tales   The Path by Tale of Tales I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 11:41 am

It’s a few years since I first came across The Path, by Tale of Tales but, on re-entering the fictional world of the sisters, I find the game has lost none of its appeal.  Originally released in 2009 and loosely based around Red Riding Hood, The Path was intended as a different kind of video game with an emphasis on partaking in a narrative, rather than being structured around quests and conquests.  However, I feel there is an element of strategy involved as the player is graded according to how many objects they find, how many of the secret rooms they unlock in Grandma’s house.  

Game play is deceptively simple.  You give a basket to one of the sisters and they leave home with instructions to follow the path to Grandma’s house.  The whole point of the game is not to do this, to wander through the forest where you interact with various items, collect flowers and objects.  As each sister meanders through the dense woodland, there are items and places specifically for her.  However, the player commences with no idea of what to look for, so there is a great emphasis on exploration.  In my opinion, much of the game is about unlocking the personalities of the sisters.  They are all different, although the stylisation and method through which we unravel this is systematic.

Each sister can meet her nemesis during her travels, but the guise of the wolf is different for every individual.  When these situations occur the player can only watch as the scenario unfolds.  After this event, the girl is transported to Grandma’s house and her journey through this domain depends upon what she has collected and encountered on her travels through the forest.  Here, each sister is upon a path pre-determined by her previous actions.

The Path can be described as a psychological game with a distinct horror edge, however I would argue there is more to the game than just this.  For instance, there is a definite attempt to blur the boundary between fine art and the video game.  One only has to watch the leafy tendrils growing around the games title as each sister begins her journey, to experience the surrealist arrangement of Grandma’s house and the cubist demise of each sister.  In addition, the music is haunting and the sound effects well judged.  One aspect of the game which I feel encompasses the horror element is what happens if the player causes a sister to run.  This is especially effective in a darkened room with the sound up.

The Path is a game to experience at your leisure.  It is a much slower paced game than any other I’ve encountered, but as the emphasis is on participating in each sister’s journey, the pacing works well – this isn’t a game to be rushed, its one to lose yourself in.
Back to top Go down

The Path by Tale of Tales
Page 1 of 1