Renegades of the Internet come discuss your favourite games, voice acting, technicalities and other topics on our forum.

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 45 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 pm
Latest topics
» Getting rid of Windows -- Blood's list of Linux distros
White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 am

» My LFS/Linux from Scratch journey
White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:43 pm

» Gentoo Linux: The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be
White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon May 29, 2023 12:34 pm

» Breaking free from Windows
White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:09 pm

» BSS RPG -- Discussion & OOC
White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 pm

» Might and Magic 6 7 8 Merged
White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:03 pm

» Stardew Valley
White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review I_icon_minitimeby Blood Red Eagle Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm

» Wasteland 3 Beta -- Hot thoughts
White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm

» Fallout Et Tu
White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:58 pm

» Prometheus Wept
White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:20 pm

» Wasteland 2
White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 pm

» Darkest Dungeon 2
White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review I_icon_minitimeby Carabas Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 am

Statistics
We have 43 registered users
The newest registered user is Eastoni

Our users have posted a total of 29477 messages in 708 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sue77
Enlightened Viewer
Sue77

White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review Empty
PostSubject: White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review   White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2016 3:08 pm

White Coffin, directed by Daniel de la Vega and filmed in Argentina, stars Julieta Cardinali as Virginia, a mother whose daughter is abducted whilst she is driving across country in an attempt to put distance between herself and her estranged husband. He currently has custody of their child and Virginia is struggling to cope with this. When a tyre punctures on the outskirts of a remote village, the man who helps Virginia advises her to leave. Virginia travels on, stopping for a break at a service station where her daughter is taken. Giving chase to the vehicle her daughter is in results in Virginia having an accident. The story which unfolds from this incident has her deciding upon the fate of other people she meets on her journey to try and save her daughter.

Although this premise sounds simple, it’s used to good effect as Virginia’s choices are difficult ones concerning life and death. Virginia is presented as a flawed character who is prone to making wrong choices. This adds to the tension. After all will she, or won’t she, make the right choice? What is the right choice? Julieta Cardinali plays her role well and the viewer becomes aware of how against Virginia’s nature the resolutions she’s presented with are, how driven she becomes. In addition what initially appears to be a clear cut case of abduction turns out to have sinister occult roots, meaning the purpose behind Virginia’s actions becomes unclear. This is deftly handled, with the viewer having little opportunity to pause and consider as the film quickly builds up pace and tension.

The car chase action sequences are good, especially the first where Virginia is chasing the vehicle carrying her daughter. The manner in which the shots have been filmed and then edited is slick; Virginia’s desperation is clear throughout the sequence. However, I’d argue that where White Coffin really scores is in how it utilises and re-invents aspects of Roger Corman and Hammer Horror films, blending concepts, colour and style into Cormanesque surrealism with Hammeresque Satanism along with a good helping of Poe. This is a very stylistic film which uses colour and contrast to good effect. Yet, there was one scene which I felt undermined these aspects. To me, the overall style and content of White Coffin called for the gore card to be slightly underplayed. Most of the time, this was the case, so the point where gore was overused disappointed me. There was enough horror in the unfolding story for gore to take a back seat. Often, less is more.

White Coffin is a rollercoaster acid trip of colour, action, murder and mayhem. The story is solid, with a level of complexity, and much of the action derives from cause and effect. This is by no means a perfect film, but it does have narrative integrity and production values are high. White Coffin has a style which won’t appeal to everyone but, if you love Roger Corman and Hammer Horror films give it a go.
Back to top Go down

White Coffin - Daniel de la Vega 2016 Film review
Page 1 of 1